New Octopre.. any good?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

CedarSound
pushin' record

New Octopre.. any good?

Post by CedarSound » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:50 am

Ok, so it's not really new, per se.. but the newer model, the Mkii.

I have an RME Babyface and an Audiofire 12 at the moment. I want to save up and purchase an RME UFX eventually, and keep the Babyface for mobile laptop recording. For drum tracking, I have been switching back and forth between the Audiofire and the Babyface..

The Babyface has an ADAT input on it, and since it is going to be about another year before I have enough for the UFX (tax money went into some home maintenance), I was considering picking up the new Octopre. I really only need it to connect my outboard preamps, so it would be more of a converter than a pre, though it would be nice to have the extra preamps available if I ever need them.

I looked at the Behringer ADA8000, but I'm generally not a fan of their products an would rather pay a little more for something more reliable. I know that there are lots of differing opinions on this stuff, but I was wondering if anyone has the Octopre Mkii and can comment on the sound quality. If the tracks end up harsh sounding or difficult to eq, I think I will just put that money toward the UFX and just keep dealing with the "back and forth" when I am recording more than two channels at a time. However, if the Octopre doesn't harm the quality of my outboard pre's (Sytek, RNP, API) then I may get one just to make things easier until I can get the UFX. Any Octopre users? Thoughts?

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:28 pm

I don't think it would be wise to plug preamps into the Octopre's line inputs. it's not really designed to be a converter, but a preamp with optical outputs.

But, I think the preamps are good. I've used them for live recording and in the studio. Everything on album was recorded with the original OctoPre or stock Digidesign 002R preamps. It was tracked live in Tim's living room. O'Brien Party of 7
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:00 pm

I have no opinion on the Octopre...but if all you want is a cheap way to bring your other preamps into the ADAT input of your Babyface, couldn't you just get something like the Alesis AI3?

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:11 pm

Thank you for the suggestions so far, guys..

I considered the AI3, but I read that the unit runs at 20 bit, even though it says 24 bit on the unit. I know there were two units made, with the original saying 20 bit and the later model saying 24 bit, but I read someone saying that they dd extensive research that the unit is identical on the inside to the original and that it was a marketing ploy.. (of course you have to believe everything you read on the web, right??). I have no idea if it's true, but something about it being 10 year old technology makes me wonder..though I do like the features...

Sean, aren't the inputs converted to line level when you plug into the TRS inputs? I would think that would allow them to pass the signal from an outboard pre cleanly, and if I'm not mistaken that is how alot of people use the ADA8000 units with external pres?

I wish my audiofire had an ADAT out.. man, that would make it so much easier....

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:22 pm

what about an Aphex 142?
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/142/
they don't sell them new anymore, but you could probably score a good price on a used one. just line input convertors no pres or other such business.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:08 pm

Wow, that is really cool.. I wasn't aware of the 142. I am definitely a fan of "less is more" when it comes to signal path.. that may be the ticket.. hmmm

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:26 pm

The line input on the OctoPre is probably still runs through the preamp circuit. If you don't need the extra preamps, I would get a dedicated converter. I would look for something like a Lucid ADA8824 or something along those lines.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:18 am

Well, that converter is more money than the UFX that I am trying to save up for a year from now, so I decided to find something a bit more affordable.

I considered the ADA8000, AI-3, SM Audio unit (unbalanced), and the Focusrite, Aphex 142 (didn't want to be restricted to 48k only) and ended up finding a a good deal on a used Presonus Digimax FS in really good condition. The Digimax has line inputs on the front (yes, through the preamp circuit but I am going to turn the gain all the way down and see how it does) and it also has inserts on the back of unit that are post preamp and pre-converter... so, there are a couple of options..

For a few bucks more than a Behringer, we'll see how it goes. The nice part is that when I do eventually get the UFX, I'll have another bank of 8 utility pres if I need them for a larger session...

Thanks for the suggestions, guys!

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:39 am

i'm sure it'll work just fine. the noise added by the extra gainstage isnt terrible in the presonus units, those xmax pres are pretty quiet and sound decent...just not much headroom. I have a d8 than I just use the pres for now since I bought a lynx aurora and use that with an 003r on the lightpipe.

just an FYI, you'll be restricted to 48k on light pipe no matter which unit you use, unless the the UFX supports dual wire...but then it usually 1/2 your track count.

CedarSound
pushin' record

Post by CedarSound » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:34 am

Thanks... From my research, the Aphex 142 will run at 48k only... Most of my projects are at 44.1, which I am fine with.. I just didn't want to have to convert old projects over to 48k if I didn't need to.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:57 am

For the record, I have borrowed an Octopre MK2 (non-Dynamic version) a few times over the past 3 years. It was insanely easy to use and the preamps sounded way better to me than my memory of my old Presonus Digimax LT (which is not the same as the Digimax FS). I ended up using the Octopre for extra channels that I thought would be scratch tracks since I was focusing on live drums (gtrs, keys, bass, scratch vocals); some ended up as keepers and sat fine in the mix.

Vocals, bass, and keys on this song are all Octopre Mk2.

I planned on picking up the Octopre Dynamic for about a year as a result of that session, but ended up purchasing a Metric Halo 2882 Expanded instead (it has 8 on board preamps and I use it in conjunction with my Black Lion Audio MOTU 828 mk2). Nothing against the Octopre line, but this seemed to be a better all-around upgrade for me to be able to get 16+ tracks when needed.

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord