Small Tape Op magazine critique

Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

plurgid
gettin' sounds

Post by plurgid » Tue Aug 17, 2010 12:21 pm

Pics on the interviews, I can take 'em or leave 'em ... but (and I think it's been said before), where I could *really* use them is on the gear reviews.

I mean ... for chrissakes, some of these go on and on for hundreds of words describing, in detail, the control panel layout and which function buttons enable which features, etc etc. It's a bit like reading Dickens at times, and it is *ponderous* ... and really, a simple little picture would really help put things in perspective some times.

Yeah, I get that Tape Op makes money on advertisers, and it behooves advertisers who's gear is reviewed to run an ad (possibly adjacent to the article) ... but you know pretty much that doesn't happen a lot.

Just sayin' ... even a little thumbnail would be nice some times.

Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

Post by Winstontaneous » Tue Aug 17, 2010 3:17 pm

Only request I can make photo-wise is: please consistently identify people in multi-person pix. Not a big idea; in some issues it happens, in the latest (Polvo pic, IIRC) it didn't.

syntax
ass engineer

Post by syntax » Thu Aug 26, 2010 6:57 am

I agree that, unless the gear is particularly rare or esoteric, pure gear shots shots are gratuitous (I know what a Space Echo looks like).

On the other hand, gear in context and gear in action shots are great. For example, the Paul Butler (Bees) article gave us some insight into both his personality and his application of gear. I might say the same of the Jim Scott article, that picture of him in the big room says a lot about his personality and his approach to recording, but, most importantly, it supports the story, since he talks about the room.

I guess if I were to urge anything is that you focus editorial attention on making the photos complimentary (with a wee bias toward gear). I'm sure you already think about it this way, but it doesn't hurt to encourage that practice.
Welcome to the dessert of the real. Would you like some coffee with that?

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Fri Sep 10, 2010 11:32 am

"I guess if I were to urge anything is that you focus editorial attention on making the photos complimentary (with a wee bias toward gear). I'm sure you already think about it this way, but it doesn't hurt to encourage that practice."

We try. Photos get neglected so often, as far as planning, quality and such. I can't tell you how many washed out flash shots, over-processed grainy art attempts and shots of rack-after-rack of gear we DON'T run in the mag yet are submitted as "these photos look great to me". It gets frustrating, and I can think of a good pile of articles that would have run by now if the pix didn't blow - every time John B looks at them he goes, "Nope."

I guess I'm trying to say that we're talking about just getting a half-decent sounding overdub at the same sample rate with the same start time as the song and sometimes we get MP3s emailed to us recorded on iPhones.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

syntax
ass engineer

Post by syntax » Fri Sep 10, 2010 9:14 pm

Nice analogy Larry.
Welcome to the dessert of the real. Would you like some coffee with that?

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:39 pm

i love to see peeps rooms too. that said, it would eat up valuable space in the mag. and, once you've seen it, well, that's it, right? i still go back through issues and read articles that include info about stuff that, maybe, wasn't relevant to me when it came out, but has suddenly piqued my interest. (see: caffrey's two stage compression)

how about a little revolving issue-specific photo spread and small "interview extras" on the web page? dunno. just a thought.

love TO mag. as you were...

jon

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:39 am

[quote="Jon Nolan"]how about a little revolving issue-specific photo spread and small "interview extras" on the web page? dunno. just a thought.[/quote]

Coming soon
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com