Taiko drums.? How would you record these?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:42 pm

A mix of dynamics and condensers? Maybe a 4-track recording that is really a double 2-track, with one set of stereo inputs set much lower to provide safety tracks for any blistering peaks?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

Exoterrestrial
audio school

Post by Exoterrestrial » Sat Mar 28, 2015 7:58 am

Gregg Juke wrote:A mix of dynamics and condensers? Maybe a 4-track recording that is really a double 2-track, with one set of stereo inputs set much lower to provide safety tracks for any blistering peaks?

GJ
Most of all, I would like to record with my 4-track tape recorder but i'm afraid that isn't much possible... ;)

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Mar 28, 2015 3:00 pm

Well, if you only have a stereo recorder, definitely err on the side of caution and maintain a conservatively low input volume (assuming it is a digital recorder). I've done a number of live remotes over the past several years with classical concerts (mostly acoustic instruments and solo and choir vocals). In a fairly large hall, recording from the back of the room (digital two-track with analog cassette back-up), with carefully set levels (after a full rehearsal even!), I've had my meters pegged and my recordings peaked by vocalists singing primarily acoustically across the room! Several times over the past several years; can't seem to get the input gain low enough not to get maxxed at least once or twice per show.

I've never recorded Taiko drummers, but I've seen them perform, and there's a lot of volume and quite a bit of dynamic range. Safety tracks would definitely be in order, but if you only have two-- watch the volume!

You will monitor with a decent set of headphones, yes?

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "