recommend me some non smooth jazz Metheny

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

teleharmonium
pushin' record

Post by teleharmonium » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:11 am

My favorite Dewey Redman albums as a leader are "Look for the Black Star" (his first, from the 60s) and the duo record with Ed Blackwell "Red and Black In Willisau".

Jay Reynolds
carpal tunnel

Post by Jay Reynolds » Mon Nov 16, 2009 10:28 am

Brian Brock wrote:.

I want to hear that Dewey Redman collaboration - that guy blew me away once when I saw him play, but I never have quite found the spark in his records.
Ornette Coleman - New York Is Now. Blue Note Records. Ornette, Dewey, Elvin Jones, Reggie Workman. Good shit.

Also, I just re-upped my copy of Rejoicing. As far as the smooth vs not-smooth thing goes, I'm not sure if that album's first track (Pat's version of Horace Silver's Lonely Woman) qualifies as hard-bop. With Pat playing steel string acoustic that has been soaked with a healthy amount of reverb, it comes of very "west-coast". But the rest of that album is pretty traditional-ish after that (untill you get to "The Calling", that is, then it's a free-jazz-guitar-synth-freakout time (in a good way)). So don't get scared off if the first song on that one sounds a little "production-ey".

Even if you're not super down with the PMG, I'd say check out Travels. It's a live double cd. Those guys are killing it on that one. The versions of "Are you going with me?" and "Song fo Bilbao" are pretty strong.
Prog out with your cog out.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:39 am

superaction80 wrote:The versions of "Are you going with me?" and "Song fo Bilbao" are pretty strong.
Two of my favorites!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

logancircle
tinnitus

Post by logancircle » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:52 am

+1 on the Scofield record. Although one cool thing he does that could also be considered nerdy/new-age is playing his jazz guitar with a MIDI pickup and then using like a Casio guitar patch instead of just using the guitar sound. The second track is the most beboppy, and a few tracks have a little New Age smoothness, but not exactly smooth jazz. Check out track two.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
Studio and Field Recorder in NYC.
I like dirt.
IG: stormydanielson

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Tue May 21, 2013 10:06 pm

Been catching up with Mr. Metheny on vinyl..

Travels and Rejoicing are indeed killer, and Wichita is getting a lot of play.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed May 22, 2013 2:56 pm

Subject: 42-string pikasso guitar
Question: Pat: I was wondering a few things about your 42-string pikasso guitar built by Linda Manzer. First of all, how did you come up with the concept? Did you have something in mind along the lines of a harp guitar similar to the one used by the late Michael Hedges? Also, how long has been in your 'arsenal'? I think the first time you used it was on Badlands on PMG's 'Quartet' is that accurate? Lastly, do you have any future plans to compose pieces on it in the future ie: Into the Dream? I think your live version during the ID tour and with the trio recently, was phenomenal! I said to one of my friends, that you should just do an all 42-string pikasso tour! (hahaha!) Thanks Pat!
Pat?s Answer:

Go to Category
Go to: Guitars hi david,
i do love that instrument. i have occasionally used harp-guitars since 1973 - but first recorded with one on watercolors in 1977 - this evolved from those. it has actually been around for a long time - i first used it on song x in 1985. (the tune was mob job) it was an idea i had since the early 70's and those harpguitar experiences - i even tried to have someone make it then, the guitarmaker took my money and disappeared! then, i talked to linda about, and she seemed game - she took my basic idea and made a great instrument. the reason i didn't play it more until this year was that i couldn't really figure out how to tune it. during the making of kenny garrett's record "pursuance", i found a way of tuning it and playing it that was new for me - this is on the tune "after the rain" - since then, and during the tour with kenny i have been finding a way to play it that is still evolving.
Last edited by shedshrine on Fri Aug 12, 2016 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri May 31, 2013 12:53 pm

Ah, the one you've got there with Charlie Haden (I forget the name, but I think it has a version of "Lonely Woman" on it) is a great one. 80/81 is excellent. Just about any of them. No "smooth jazz" whatsoever, sillies! Just went back and read some of the old thread-- I wouldn't consider Grover Washington "smooth" either, although he did play a funky brand of pop-fusion; I think of you-know-who (rhytmes with "Yenny Yee").

I've seen Metheny 2 or 3 times live. Great every time. But my favorite was when he still had Gottlieb and Nana Vasconcelos (sp?) in the band...

GJ

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Fri May 31, 2013 1:03 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:. 80/81 is excellent. Just about any of them. No "smooth jazz" whatsoever, sillies!
:oops: I have seen/heard the error of my ways.

Neal
gettin' sounds

Post by Neal » Wed Jun 12, 2013 1:44 pm

Orchestrion:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q ... 0305,d.aWc
Brian Brock wrote:... the Gregg Bendian / Nels Cline version of Interstellar Space is pretty awesome.
+1

kayagum
ghost haunting audio students

Post by kayagum » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:35 am

For a completely different flavor, "One Quiet Night" is basically just him on a baritone acoustic guitar. Do you have that?

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:52 am

Ooo, will have to check that out.

Zygomorph
pushin' record

Post by Zygomorph » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:04 pm

I really love the first PMG record SO MUCH but maybe because I grew up thinking of it as "The Weather Channel Music".

Are there recordings of his robotic orchestra?
ethical action gets the good.
audio.johnmichaelswartz.com

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:57 am

I haven't heard the record in years, but I saw the Song X tour when I was about 15. It blew my freaking mind and totally changed my outlook on music.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:30 am

The guitar-synth with Ornette Coleman thing? I didn't see that tour (I've seen him three times though), but I think I have "Song X" on cassette somewhere!!

GJ
Gregg Juke
Nocturnal Productions Music Group
Drum! Magazine Contributor
http://MightyNoStars.com

"He's about to learn the most important lesson in the music business-- 'Never trust people in the music business.' "

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:46 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:The guitar-synth with Ornette Coleman thing? I didn't see that tour (I've seen him three times though), but I think I have "Song X" on cassette somewhere!!

GJ
That was it. Charlie Hayden and Jack Dejohnette as the rhythm section. Mind blowing. I got to pick up DeJohnette at the airport for a clinic years later. He's quite an interesting man, as well as musician.