recommend me some non smooth jazz Metheny

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

shedshrine
deaf.

recommend me some non smooth jazz Metheny

Post by shedshrine » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:34 am

I've had Bright Size Life and the '78 Pat Metheny Group album, and want to get some more, but I don't want the smooth jazz stuff. Did he do any hard jazz stuff?
I've done a little research on Allmusic, and "Question and Answer" sounds great in the samples I heard.
M

JohnDavisNYC
ghost haunting audio students

Post by JohnDavisNYC » Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:53 am

Question and Answer is great, and his recent trio stuff with Larry Grenadier and Bill Stewart is great. Duo record with Jim Hall is nice. Record with Scofield 'I can see your house from here' is also great.

John
i like to make music with music and stuff and things.

http://www.thebunkerstudio.com/

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:06 am

Awesome John,

thanks! 8)

austingreen
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by austingreen » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:29 am

I love non-smooth Metheny.

The trio albums:
Bright Size Life (Jaco, Bob Moses)
Rejoicing (Charlie Haden, Billy Higgins)
Question & Answer (Dave Holland, Roy Haynes) The best of the lot!

Experimental Ones:
80/81 (Dewey Redman!!)
Song X (ORNETTE!!!)
Zero Tolerance for Silence - Must Hear This, doesn't sound anything like a Pat Metheny record, recommended by Thurston Moore on the CD I bought when it came out.

Stay away from anything with Gary Burton or the Falcon and Snowman Soundtrack, great movie, awful synth guitar.

shedshrine
deaf.

Post by shedshrine » Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:46 pm

Great!
We're heading into the city this weekend, didn't want to waste an Amoeba records drive-by.

Gonna pick up the first couple Big Star records I keep seeing mentioned on here too. What a tragic back story, glad they are touring again in some form.

lambchop
audio school graduate

Re: recommend me some non smooth jazz Metheny

Post by lambchop » Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:39 pm

shedshrine wrote:I've had Bright Size Life and the '78 Pat Metheny Group album, and want to get some more, but I don't want the smooth jazz stuff. Did he do any hard jazz stuff?
I've done a little research on Allmusic, and "Question and Answer" sounds great in the samples I heard.
M
There is an album that he did with Chick Corea, Gary Burton, Dave Holland and Roy Haynes. I believe it is called "Like Friends". It is definitely not smooth jazz. He does some excellent playing on it.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:44 pm

I posted in the "What You Listenin' To" thread about the Live '99-'00 Trio record.

And I love that Scofield collab.

Also, check out the Joni Mitchell DVD with him and Jaco ... There's a buncha stuff on youtube.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:45 pm

austingreen wrote:Experimental Ones:
80/81 (Dewey Redman!!)
Song X (ORNETTE!!!)
Zero Tolerance for Silence - Must Hear This, doesn't sound anything like a Pat Metheny record, recommended by Thurston Moore on the CD I bought when it came out.
Good call on these. Definitely not smooth and the recent Song X reissue has some great stuff on it.

The duo record he did with Scofield is pretty good, too.

I don't generally think of Metheny as "smooth jazz" (that's a term I usually reserve for minimal chord-change, backbeat-oriented stuff like Najee or Grover Washington), but I think I get what you mean. Metheny's a hell of a unique player with a grip on many styles. He's also a pretty nice guy.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Nov 04, 2009 2:46 pm

By the way, he does a great job playing in Joni Mitchell's band on the 1980 live Shadows and Light album. That's a pretty big stretch from both smooth jazz and what he normally does. Of course, he still sounds like himself, but he fits well into that genre with that band.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:04 pm

Yeah! That's the DVD I was talking about.

I found it while searchin' out "Coyote" to post as a joke ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

thunderboy
buyin' a studio

Post by thunderboy » Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:10 pm

+eleventy billion for Rejoicing. It's not all "hard", but it IS all awesome.

jt
"most toreadors worth a damn are circumcized."
- Discs of Tron

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:50 pm

you can hear a joyful squall on The Sign of 4, a double-duo with Derek Bailey, Gregg Bendian, and Paul Wertico. Also, it doesn't have Pat Metheny, but the Gregg Bendian / Nels Cline version of Interstellar Space is pretty awesome.

I want to hear that Dewey Redman collaboration - that guy blew me away once when I saw him play, but I never have quite found the spark in his records.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:17 pm

Brian Brock wrote:I want to hear that Dewey Redman collaboration - that guy blew me away once when I saw him play, but I never have quite found the spark in his records.
Really? I think he's terrific. Have you heard any of those Old And New Dreams records? Playing is a favorite of mine.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Brian Brock
buyin' a studio

Post by Brian Brock » Sat Nov 14, 2009 12:56 pm

No, I think he's great. It's just that in my experience his records don't compare to that one night where I couldn't believe what was happening before me. It was Cameron Brown and the Hear and Now, with Sheila Jordan on voice, David Balou on trumpet, and I can't remember the drummer. Dewey Redman would sort of hang out backstage and then come out and do these just killer things that were like Bach and Coltrane at the same time. Then the next night it was Bill Frissell and Joey Baron.

On record I've heard something with Keith Jarret, his album with Elvin Jones and Cecil Taylor, which are both great but not what I wanted to hear from Redman, and In London, which is a great album - one of my favorite jazz albums. I'll check Playing out. Of course I'm being poor-souled, expecting a record to compare with one of my favorite shows...

umm... Pat Metheny Pat Metheny Pat Metheny

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:24 pm

Old And New Dreams was a SICK group. Dewey, Don Cherry, Charlie Haden, and Ed Blackwell. Just frightening. Playing is a live record they did with mostly Ornette Coleman tunes. Kind of hard to go wrong with a record of mostly Ornette Coleman tunes. Worked great for John Zorn, too. (I'm thinking of Spy Vs. Spy.)

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC