Owens Corning 703 Panels

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

goldanimals
pluggin' in mics

Owens Corning 703 Panels

Post by goldanimals » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:47 pm

Just wanted to share some photos of the panels I just built with Owens Corning 703. $100 total for 6 panels from ReadyAcoustic with shipping. Then a trip to home depot for some cheap breathable canvas and backboard. I grabbed some picture hanger hooks and put two on the back of each panel. Then, all I needed was two nails to hold it up. It came out to about $21.50 for each panel total.

Honestly, this was more of an expensive experiment for me than an expertly engineered plan. I didn't know what to expect, but after hanging even one panel across from my guitar amp in my band's practice space, I could hear an immediate difference. The tone sounds amazing without the reflection from the other side of the room. If you are looking to DIY treat a room, this is the way to go.

Had to throw in the space picture at the end there.

Jeremy
www.honeyhouse.tumblr.com (my band)

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:24 pm

what a cool looking space.. I like how "rough" it is.. a lot of texture.

finleysound
pluggin' in mics

Post by finleysound » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:17 pm

I hope you are using acoustically neutral Christmas tree lights! ;-) I totally dig the vibe!

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:48 am

finleysound wrote:I hope you are using acoustically neutral Christmas tree lights! ;-) I totally dig the vibe!
Its funny, Xmas lights always look better in other peoples places than my own. I'm hoping my new place will have some whiskmas light mood.

goldanimals
pluggin' in mics

Post by goldanimals » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:59 am

Hahah the only reason I posted this was to receive compliments on my space...yessssssssssss

No, thank you and the xmas lights don't look as good in reality as they do through a camera lense.

I am thinking about hanging panels from the ceiling (clouds), it is currently a hard tile ceiling with no insulation.

But overall, I am extremely impressed with the Owens Corning stuff. I've honestly added 1000% to my knowledge and understanding of sound and space in the past few months with this stuff. It's like a drug or something, opened my mind. I recommend it to anyone and no, I do not work for the company haha.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:16 pm

goldanimals wrote:Hahah the only reason I posted this was to receive compliments on my space...yessssssssssss

No, thank you and the xmas lights don't look as good in reality as they do through a camera lense.

I am thinking about hanging panels from the ceiling (clouds), it is currently a hard tile ceiling with no insulation.

But overall, I am extremely impressed with the Owens Corning stuff. I've honestly added 1000% to my knowledge and understanding of sound and space in the past few months with this stuff. It's like a drug or something, opened my mind. I recommend it to anyone and no, I do not work for the company haha.
Clouds will make you even happier.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:17 pm

goldanimals wrote:Hahah the only reason I posted this was to receive compliments on my space...yessssssssssss

Clouds will make you even happier.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:33 pm

I was getting some elctrical work done in my basement studio and I asked the electrician to put an outlet up where the ceiling meets the wall. When asked what it was for, I suddenly felt really weird as a grown ass man asking for an outlet for some trippy x-mas lights. Oh well you guys understand.
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."