MicroClock mkII clocking differences. Samples!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

MicroClock mkII clocking differences. Samples!

Post by punkrockdude » Sat Mar 20, 2010 10:18 pm

I just did null tests with my MicroClock mkII and my RME Multiface II and ISA828 with ADC card. The RME nulls out to around -93 dBFS with MicroClock mkII but the Fucosrite ISA828's ADC gives a clear and measurable differens. A lot more clarity with the MicroClock mkII. If you are interested I can post the files. There may be some limitations and that could be the sound coming from my Multiface II may change when clocking ISA828 since also the Multiface has to follow the MicroClock but I guess that the Multiface II internal vs clocked which shows absolutely no difference should be a good source. Right?

First test was RME Multiface II's analog out 8 to RME Multiface II's analog in 8. First I recorded the sample I had lined up on track 2 with internal clock and after that to yet another track I recorded the same sample clocking with MicroClock mkII. This showed around -101dBFS when nulling the internal sample and the clocked sample. I could also not hear any difference at all.

Secondly I connected analog out 8 from my RME Multiface II to the line input 1 on my ISA828 and adjusting the gain so that it was within 0.1-0.2dBFS compared to the original sample. The bad thing is that when I recorded with the ISA828 ADC with clock the Multiface II was clocked from the ADAT clock from the ISA828 ADC. When I then recorded with the clock the Multiface II output was affected by being clock from the MicroClock mkII and not from the ISA828 ADC again which would be ideal. But from the RME Multiface II internal vs MicroClock mkII test which should almost null it shouldn't matter that much if I am correct. Anyway... Here the MicroClock mkII really makes an audible differens. Before even nulling the internal vs external clock I heard a real clarity difference.

Man, I must be confusing as hell here. English is not my mother tongue which you probably have guessed after reading my attempts at describing the process.

The FLAC files are here and just line them up in a sequencer application and/or just listen.

Unavailable
Unavailable

For the lazy ones, here are the files phase flipped so that you can hear what's been nulled and not:

Unavailable
Unavailable

No gain settings or anything were changed between clock changes. Only removing wall wart power to the clock was remove/inserted between takes.

Please let me know about limitations in my test or if I have done it wrong or anything else you might think of.

Best Regards

Edit: The track is Allan Taylor - Colour To The Moon off of a B&W sample CD. I would also like to thank BLA for their amazing support. They let me exchange my MicroClock mkI after at least 6 months when I told them that it made no difference to my equipment, for free! I hope this can help them show people that the clock does indeed make a difference and in some cases a big difference. Thank you BLA!
Last edited by punkrockdude on Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:21 am

Anyone has listened and have any opinions? I would like to know what you think of the test and what you think after listening to the samples. Regards

punkrockdude
gettin' sounds

Post by punkrockdude » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:58 am

I think it is strange that so many has looked at this thread but haven't replied with any comments. External clocking was a huge topic not long ago. I am starting to think that people might think I am a troll or what you call those that write for companies interest. That is not the case. Regards everyone!

Warhead
audio school graduate

Post by Warhead » Mon Mar 29, 2010 10:04 pm

I have heard the Micro Clock MK2 transform 002 units, Tascam and Presonus stuff into a way more useful and clear sound. On the right unit needing a better clock, it can shine. It was not too subtle...!

Another fairly recent clock listening session was the RME's "Steady Clock" (in their more expensive units, we used it in the MICSTASY) and it made a very nice difference again with things like Tascam and Digi stuff.

I honestly don't do a lot of clock experimenting...but it can be more effective than ya think.

War
Warren Dent

ZenProAudio.Com