Evilbog, etc., defective merch returns

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Evilbog, etc., defective merch returns

Post by vvv » Thu May 10, 2012 8:56 pm

I have, yet again, rec'd a cuppla bad items.

The first is an AT8681 mixer on which the balance doesn't work, but sold as 100% functioning. I offered to try and fix it before return, but won't try w/out the seller's permission; awaiting seller's response.

The second is another bad EV634 mic, again sold as 100% functioning.

The mic seller wants it back and offers to reimburse the purchase price. Doya's think it cool for me to insist on the postage, also? Including the return postage? He said the mic worked; it doesn't.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 11, 2012 11:22 am

if they specifically said it was working I don't think its too much to ask for the shipping cost - you wouldn't have purchased it if you knew it was broken right?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 11, 2012 12:04 pm

Correct!

The seller of the mixer told me to go ahead and try to fix it - I think I'll be able to.

But the mic is more problematic; I tried to fix one before but they have a tar plug surrounding the transformer in the barrel and it was a big mess.

Interestingly, it appears to be Evilbog's policy on its own "buyer protection" that they will get you the purchase price plus delivery shipping cost, but not return shipping cost. It says here in relevant part: "For seller unresolved cases, we will refund the buyer for the full cost of the item (including any applicable sales tax) and the original shipping, ...." ? (italics mine)

Of course, I will leave a scathing feedback if I have to pay US$0.01 for the seller's failure to properly check out (or, arguably, defraud by the sale of) his alleged "functioning" item.

Re that mic, the cord the seller sent and stated "needs re-wiring" is in fact unusable, and as I confirmed with a good cord, so is the mic. ?Additionally, there are 7 photos of the item on the E-bog, all failing to show the fact that about 1/3 of the threads at the cable connection are broken off - the inference I draw is the seller intentionally concealed it, and I would not have bought it with that defect.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri May 11, 2012 3:40 pm

I have bought stuff on the E where it was damaged (sometimes because the seller did not pack it well) and if everyone is in a good mood and it can be repaired (or still used without repair) have worked out a partial refund that was fair to both sides. Sometimes if you sell something and it gets damaged its easier to work something out with the buyer instead of trying to file a claim.

I also once had a seller just refund the entire cost of a broken item - including shipping (and I did not ship the item back). in that case the seller lost some money, but I thought it was very professional (maybe there is a better word?) way to handle it. but it was not cost effective to ship it back when it was dead either, and I would not have purchased it knowing it was dead.

That's why I prefer a local craigslist sale if its possible... less risk if you can see it in person and try it out. although buyers and sellers on this forum are usually pretty cool (and honest ) too.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 11, 2012 4:08 pm

Yeah, I love this forum for buying stuff!

Both the above sellers are being cool, so far. The AT mixer guy let me try to fix it; I couldn't but told him to gimme US$20 and I'll use the thing as a "Y"-cord, or for parts; he sent it immediately (net loss to me of about US$13.00)

The mic guy wants the mic back and so I told him send postage; he requested my email so we'll see.

I have had issues in the past, tho', where once even a seller just went immediately to name-calling, accusing me of fraud, etc. I had another guy take the money and never ship (US$310 or so for a ISA1) and that became a Paypal issue. Dooshbag is still on the 'bog as "lyraltonay96", real name apparently "Josh Roothschild"; all of his seller feedback is negative as he apparently uses the 'bog to generate himself some loans. I've been watching his rating go down; it's now at 90%. :lol:

Other times I've had complete refunds and then been able to keep the item and repair it, sometimes cheaply, altho' I always wait 30 days. And usually where sellers screw up they make good with refunds, or once a seller forwarded an Ampherol cable because the mic was obscure and no info could be found and the seller neither pictured nor disclosed the Ampherol jack.

FWIW I've had, I think, 3 disputes go through PayPal in the last 9 months but, as I always pay the date of sale and my rating is 100%, I get a quick and favorable decision. I'm not scamming, but I refused to be scammed!

My only problem with Craigs list is too many sellers think that 10% off list price is what they are oughta get. A cuppla times I offered fair money and they got insulted and insulted me ("low-baller", etc.), only to call be back later and ask for my original offer price; as a matter of principal I do not do bidness with anyone who insults me.

So yep, sell yer stuff at TOMB! 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Sun May 13, 2012 12:51 pm

under the radar: www.shopgoodwill.com
occasionally a mint Fender Mustang from somebody's dead uncle shows up.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun May 13, 2012 5:19 pm

So freakin' 8) !
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Int'l Feel » Mon May 21, 2012 2:10 pm

I actually just went through a nightmare on the 'Bog with a tube amp (against my better judgement, of course). Is it common practice to ship a tube amp WITH the tubes in their sockets? I've never had to ship a tube amp before, but I would just assume that it's a no-no?

Regardless, I am NOT doing that again. I've been pretty fortunate with craigslist dealings over the years, so I think I'll just stick with that venue for my large-and-fragile items. I guess you can take that statement any way you want ...

On another note, that goodwill link is dangerous. Toy pianos! What did I just say about shipping large and fragile items?

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon May 21, 2012 3:09 pm

:lol:

I guess the problem can be that you are dealing with sellers who don't really know what they are selling. I mean, it's obvious ya gotta take the tubes out, y'know?

So between those what are ignorant, and then the hucksters and the incompetent (how can you say a non-working mic does? Or sell a mic without knowing if it do?), it's a crap-shoot for sure.

That said, I've had, I think, 4 problems in some 70 purchases; that's a 6% fail rate, what is far below my bad stats in dating, avoiding hangovers, and bum notes in guitar solos.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Int'l Feel
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Int'l Feel » Wed May 23, 2012 7:44 pm

Yeah, I've actually been pretty fortunate with those impulse purchases myself (for example the Rhythm Master that just so happens to be the same wood grain as my monitors!).

But Craigslist...that's where the magic's at. CL trades are the absolute best for the burgeoning tonesman.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 23, 2012 9:15 pm

For alla my beyatchin', I just took another risk, bifd for and won a Senn MD21 offa the E-bog from a guy in Germany.

There's a joke in there, somewhere ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.