RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Cascade Fathead Blumlein pair advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goatboy
ass engineer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Cascade Fathead Blumlein pair advice Reply with quote

Hey,

So I have decided to add a pair of ribbons to my mic collection as I feel like they could definitely add an extra set of sounds. I am pretty much settled on the Cascade Fathead pair due to good reviews and a nice price point. I was wondering however, is it worth the extra money to get the pair with Lundahl transformers. It is a bit more cash and it would be a slight reach in the budget but I can manage that. Basically is the difference in sound (in your opinion of course) worth the extra cash?

Cheers,

Mark.

edit: should have mentioned it is the Fathead II
Slau
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Cascade Fathead Blumlein pair advice Reply with quote

The upgrade is worth it, especially if you're planning to use them on sources other than crunchy guitar cab. It makes a lot of difference on drums and acoustic guitar, vocal, etc. The top end is clearer and smoother. Worth it, IMO. I have a pair with Lundahls and a pair with Cinemags—use 'em all the time and love 'em.

Slau
goatboy
ass engineer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Cascade Fathead Blumlein pair advice Reply with quote

Slau wrote:
The upgrade is worth it, especially if you're planning to use them on sources other than crunchy guitar cab. It makes a lot of difference on drums and acoustic guitar, vocal, etc. The top end is clearer and smoother. Worth it, IMO. I have a pair with Lundahls and a pair with Cinemags—use 'em all the time and love 'em.

Slau

Thanks for the info man. It is really difficult to tell as I won't be able to hear either before I purchase. I always hate posting questions like this because it is so subjective but it is nice to hear of a few happy customers to give me a little more confidence in the purchase.
Slau
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Cascade Fathead Blumlein pair advice Reply with quote

I believe I played an example of stock vs Lundahl on one of the Project Studio Network podcast episodes when I was a guest. It was some time in 2007/2008. Of course, it's mp3 but still you can hear a difference.

BTW, you can always have Cascade upgrade them later but, by the time you factor in shipping both ways, it seems like a better idea up front. You can also upgrade them yourself if you're up for soldering. There are examples online and it's really straight-forward. Just another option.

Slau
goatboy
ass engineer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Cascade Fathead Blumlein pair advice Reply with quote

Slau wrote:
I believe I played an example of stock vs Lundahl on one of the Project Studio Network podcast episodes when I was a guest. It was some time in 2007/2008. Of course, it's mp3 but still you can hear a difference.

BTW, you can always have Cascade upgrade them later but, by the time you factor in shipping both ways, it seems like a better idea up front. You can also upgrade them yourself if you're up for soldering. There are examples online and it's really straight-forward. Just another option.

Slau

Yeah I may go the DIY route but sending them back isn't really an option as I am in the UK so shipping alone would make it not worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Gear Talk All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: