Looking for a true stereo delay

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Looking for a true stereo delay

Post by E.Bennett » Sun Sep 26, 2010 9:14 am

I'm looking for a true stereo delay (two inputs/two outputs). I want to feed our plate reverb into a dedicated unit, so an instrument level box would be great. Stomp box or rack mount will do. Trying to find something in the budget-minded category. Any suggestions? Thanks!

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Re: Looking for a true stereo delay

Post by rhythm ranch » Sun Sep 26, 2010 10:13 am

RM wrote:I want to feed our plate reverb into a dedicated unit, so an instrument level box would be great.
I've usually done it the other way around - feeding the delayed signal into the reverb, in which case, mono delay worked fine.
RM wrote:Trying to find something in the budget-minded category. Any suggestions?
Not sure what the cut-off is for "budget", but you might look for a used Lexicon MPX 200.

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Sun Sep 26, 2010 11:11 am

Using the delay after the plate makes the repeat more articulate, which is what I'm after.

The Lexicon looks like it will work. The tap tempo is definitely a nice feature that I hadn't considered. I wasn't thinking about digital delays, but I think this might be the way to go. Thanks!

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Sep 26, 2010 12:00 pm

T.C. Electronics D2, Lexicon MPX 100 (cheap).

Here's some advice from Jim Williams for turning the MPX 100 into a stand-out echo unit:

The main problem was the input gain was set too high for analog console +4 dbu levels, the front end clips. Remove the 330 ohm gain shunt surface mount resistors on the input opamp stage connected from the - input to ground and that will return the gain to unity so you can hit it harder without clipping.

Replace the output opamp with a BB OPA1642 as it's very clear and quiet without the mondo current consumption of most of the parts I use.

I swapped the PSU main caps with Nichicon HE's and add 470 uf 25v Panasonic thin case FM's after the regulators.

There is also a set of .01 uf white box mylar caps used for a noise reduction scheme, replace with Wima MKP-2's and that helps the top end. Replace .22 blocking capacitors with Wima's as well.

The echo settings emulates a tape echo with degeneration of the tops on each repeat. It sounds more natural without those nagging 20k hz repeats.

With the $10 worth parts you could have a good stereo delay for around $100 or less. Jim might have some other suggestion to take the unit even further. I'm considering getting one, especially if it emulates the sound of a tape echo convincingly.
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Mon Sep 27, 2010 2:28 pm

Nice. Thanks for the info.