DIY Plate Reverb. Questions, questions, questions.

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Apr 13, 2011 7:15 pm

This thread is a blast from the past!
Matt - the final assembly is about a foot and a half deep. I ended up bolting it to the wall in my storage room.
The bolted frame isn't the best but it works. You can only get the plate tension so high before the frame starts to bend and I'm sure it would sound better with if i could tension it higher. It can also be a little rattly. There's a sweet spot for the input volume. Too little input volume means high signal to noise and too much means that the plate rattles at certain frequencies. A graph EQ on the input helps even things out.

highway51
pluggin' in mics

Post by highway51 » Fri Jun 24, 2011 1:58 am

does anyone have any sound samples of a home made plate reverb would a plate sound significantly better than, lets say a lexicon mpx 1? I have my mpx 1 and as long as I put a predelay on the reverb it sounds pretty great.

wierzbarecording
audio school

Post by wierzbarecording » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:23 pm

I built a 2.5'x5' a few years ago.

I used 28 gauge stainless.

Used a ghost to drive it along with some piezo pickups for pickups. Placing the pickups asymmetrically makes the sound excellent. Also I put the ghost off center, both vertically and horizontally.

Sound wise, I was able to compare it with several other good sounding digital reverb units along with an AKG BX20.

It blew away any digital reverb that I was able to compare it with. Also it was able to be put on a whole mix without any ill effects. I was able to do the same thing with the BX20, but it obviously sounded much different, but it was more in that league of reverb sounds.