The obituaries

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

The obituaries

Post by @?,*???&? » Tue Aug 25, 2009 8:46 am

Does TapeOp Mag/Messageboard need an Obituary section now?

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Tue Aug 25, 2009 9:46 am

Y'know... if you think about the years when modern recording really took off, it's going to be much more common around here to see these RIP posts.

FWIW, however, I think that having them here in People Skills is better, because they'll probably be seen more often than if there's an obituaries forum. Even as someone who was raised Irish Catholic in the northeast, where death is a reason to throw a three day party, I can't see myself checking the obits, (or Irish Funny Pages, as my aunt used to call them), on a regular basis.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:13 pm

I'd much rather see a featured article as a tribute to someone, then see an obituary section. Or even an end of year recap of the people who passed would be better.

sad iron
tinnitus

Post by sad iron » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:25 pm

ott0bot wrote:I'd much rather see a featured article as a tribute to someone, then see an obituary section. Or even an end of year recap of the people who passed would be better.
Larry was kind enough to run my Jay Bennett tribute in the back of the mag this past issue and that seemed fitting and was appreciated by a lot of folk (including me). I've had several kind and appreciative emails thus far. Jay had been featured in the mag before and embodied the spirit of it.

For a lot of the folks who were groundbreakers behind the scenes, a mag like Tape Op is one of the only places where they would get proper recognition by a group of folks who appreciated and understood the impact of their work. I can't see why it would be a problem to take some space to do it.
New music: www.sadironmusic.com

Studio site: www.sadironstudio.com

Novel website: www.sadironpress.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:11 pm

It sort of seems like it. Depressing.

Chris Garges
Charlote, NC

TapeOpHillary
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpHillary » Tue May 25, 2010 10:57 am

we've just changed the 'hookups' forum to 'people/places/things' to allow for the obituaries...

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Wed May 26, 2010 1:28 pm

TapeOpHillary wrote:we've just changed the 'hookups' forum to 'people/places/things' to allow for the obituaries...
You're so smart! ;)