Can I use Paneling

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

anthonypayton
gimme a little kick & snare

Can I use Paneling

Post by anthonypayton » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:25 pm

I am trying to finish this room... I just have two more walls to build. I have an air condition right behind one of the walls... and a quest bedroom over the room... I am going to use insulation, but I am wondering if I can use paneling instead of drywall. I suck a mudding finishing drywall. Don't really want to deal with it...
There is no instant gratification in preparation. The reward is being prepared for the opportunity.- ME

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Wed Jun 02, 2010 1:40 pm

you could use drywall. not mud it. then cover it in those cheapy pine panels thingies from lowes.

NOBODY WOULD KNOW YOU DIDNT MUD.

oh oh oh. if you don't mind violating fire codes, you could use homasote board instead of drywall then paneling.

AND, if you have a big budget check this shit out: http://www.kireiusa.com/

classy.

norton
buyin' a studio

Post by norton » Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:44 am

You want to mud and tape your seams if you're concerned with sound isolation.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:12 pm

norton wrote:You want to mud and tape your seams if you're concerned with sound isolation.
Yep.

Think of sound like water. If you fill a room up with water, anywhere there's a gap in the room, the water can get out. Anywhere. If all the seams (drywall, windows, doors, electrical boxes, HVAC ducts, etc) are properly sealed, the water (and sound) won't get out so easily.

If you build something big and heavy and mostly sealed, it won't make a difference if there's still a small gap somewhere. The water (and sound) can still get out and you've just wasted a bunch of money on the heavy stuff. If you build an aquarium with the heaviest, thickest glass you can buy, but don't seal the edges, the aquarium will still leak. In terms of holding water, the aquarium is only as strong as its weakest point.

What it sounds like in the room is a totally different conversation.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Thu Jun 03, 2010 2:56 pm

using that analogy, if the seams of the drywall and the seams of the paneling are offset, and the paneling is affixed perfectly flush to the drywall he should be fine.

goose134
pushin' record

Post by goose134 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 8:13 pm

eeldip wrote:using that analogy, if the seams of the drywall and the seams of the paneling are offset, and the paneling is affixed perfectly flush to the drywall he should be fine.
Along these lines, if you were to double rock the wall and offset the seams, the same could be said. But to be fair, by the time you install the drywall and the next layer and the panelling, you could have done a fair job of mudding it. Take your time. You're not getting paid by piece work. Or paid at all really. Another option is to hang the rock and have a pro mud it.

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:59 am

thats a great point. there are 100000 underemployed contractors right now. just hire a dude to do it. probably like a 2 hour job for someone else.

anthonypayton
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by anthonypayton » Fri Jun 11, 2010 4:34 pm

That is exactly what I did... I called a friend and he is going to help me finish the room... I am going to buy the materials and I am going to pay him for his time and expertise... Thanks guys...
There is no instant gratification in preparation. The reward is being prepared for the opportunity.- ME

eeldip
dead but not forgotten

Post by eeldip » Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:12 pm

can we now talk about putting kirei over your drywall? like so....

if this was the staircase down to your studio... NICE...

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:19 pm

I have a similar question. My studio is in a big rehearsal space, 23x20 with a nice, high 13ft. ceiling. There are some DIY sound panels on the walls and ceiling, but exactly half of the room's walls (old plaster I'm guessing, it's an old industrial building from the 40's) are covered with thin carpeting. I can hear the boxiness.

I'm wondering if thin wood paneling might be a good, inexpensive way to cover the carpeting, and improve the sound of the room. Any thoughts?
If that cat there doesn't stop it man, we're not playing anymore!

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Fri Dec 13, 2013 5:46 am

what's underneath the carpeting? could you peel it off/pull it up and maybe just paint it? it would probably be more reflective if that's what you are looking for...

I would think anything over the carpeting might look kinda funny.

Mike
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am

i live in an old industrial building with plaster walls and 13 foot ceilings....and i agree, just get rid of all that carpet if you can. if it's thin it shouldn't be too hard to pull up. you'll probably spend less on paint than you would on paneling, and it'll look better.

a 23x20x13 room that's fairly reflective should give you some seriously explode-y drum sounds, if you like that sort of thing.

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Fri Dec 13, 2013 3:29 pm

I can't take the carpet down, it's a rented rehearsal space. The paneling looks good (better than paint), and taking down carpeting (and getting rid of it), and painting, seems like a lot more hassle than just covering it with 3/8" panels anyway. It will cost about $40.
It's really thin carpeting, and I think the panels will lie pretty snug against it.

This stuff, horizontally, on most of one wall (it's on sale at the HD nearby)
http://www.homedepot.com/p/GP-Braden-Ch ... /202090204#[/img]

The carpeting is only on 2 walls, and the floor. The rest is painted concrete block, and a massive wall of industrial, gridded windows.

digitaldrummer
cryogenically thawing

Post by digitaldrummer » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:41 am

it is MDF, so it will be pretty hard and reflective. not a 'warm" wood sound. You may want to experiment with hanging it in a non-permanent way to try it out. It sounds like you are building an echo-chamber? :shock:

another option might be to cover the carpet with alternating strips of pine or cedar or another (real) wood - I think then you might get some diffusion benefit out of it too?

or you may need to hang some Auralex panels (or similar) on the concrete walls. I'm just remembering my studio before I finished. Sheetrock all around and concrete floor. it sounded like a cave. but once I put the floor in, placed some carpets, and hung some absorbers and super-chunks, I was able to tame it.
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

Lost on side
gettin' sounds

Post by Lost on side » Sat Dec 14, 2013 12:37 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:it is MDF, so it will be pretty hard and reflective. not a 'warm" wood sound. You may want to experiment with hanging it in a non-permanent way to try it out. It sounds like you are building an echo-chamber? :shock:

another option might be to cover the carpet with alternating strips of pine or cedar or another (real) wood - I think then you might get some diffusion benefit out of it too?

or you may need to hang some Auralex panels (or similar) on the concrete walls. I'm just remembering my studio before I finished. Sheetrock all around and concrete floor. it sounded like a cave. but once I put the floor in, placed some carpets, and hung some absorbers and super-chunks, I was able to tame it.
Haha
No, it's got a fair amount of absorption. There is a lot of stuff in the room, plus rockwool panels (2 8x4's on the ceiling, with another one ready to be hung. and a 4x6 on 3 walls. Plus, a bass-trap of rockwool in one corner)

I am trying to get back the high freq. lost to the carpet. After I put up some panels I am going to make 2 4x6 panels for that wall. If I need more, I will make more.

There will still be a whole 20x13 wall of carpet, and the whole floor. I'm gonna buy a sheet, and see how it goes. As far as I know, I just have to nail it in, and it would be easy to take down, if I wanted to. This MDF seemed pretty porous to me, and what I read about MDF, suggested that it's actual kind of dull sounding.

I wish I could post some pics, but I don't have a host.