Telefunken D9A and TD26

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Telefunken D9A and TD26

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:11 pm

I have acquired two Telefunken vintage mics; the D9A and the TD26. They are both tape-recorder mics with low output (these were low-end items, not U87 or 47 tube mics, but still decently built consumer Telefunkens). Both "small tuchel" connectors. Changed the TD26; will change the recently acquired D9A to XLR. The TD26 sounds pretty good through a mic pre...

Does anyone have any idea of what these might be good for, or what the specs are? I've heard the TD26 has been used on hi-hat, but no idea about the D9A (other than some veiled reference to use as a harp mic). I'm wondering about its possibilities as a mono room/extra mic for drums, second mic for guitar cab, etc.; anything that might be cool to sneak some "lo-fi" into the mix. Haven't had the opportunity to try either one out yet.

If anyone has any experience with either of these, please let me know...

Thanks,

GJ

@?,*???&?
on a wing and a prayer

Post by @?,*???&? » Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:54 am

The D9A sounds too nice. I have one and bought it with two others similar mics- a Grundig and a Western Electric Ekotape. The Western Electric kicks ass the most providing a number of groovy alternate sounds on a diverse array of instruments.

Mono room mic on a drumkit- wow.

Hand-held, filtered vocal sound (telephone presence)- wow.

The Telefunken is too 'real' sounding. Not much character. I don't find myself using it for much of anything. Although it does look cool. Maybe a paperweight for the desk?

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Re: Telefunken D9A and TD26

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:10 am

Thanks!

GJ

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Sun May 07, 2017 10:29 am

Reviving this antique thread.
Greg, if you've still got the TD26 it can be converted to balanced xlr. I have two and just converted one. You can pull the black plug out of the bottom. Inside are two wires from the capsule and a lug attached to the end plug that connects to the mic body. Wire the capsule to pins 2 & 3, lug to 1. Done.

It's a pretty cool mic. Nice on guitar amps. I've also tried it on snare and liked it.