Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:21 pm

Sometimes, it's not the singer's technique, necessarily, but the recording chain.

Opto-compressors, particularly, in my limited experience, can click on clamp or release.

My Meek VC3Q tends to do it on certain sounds, such as "L", besides the expected "K" sounds.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:40 pm

I was way into analog and analog style techniques until just a few years ago. I sold my JH16-24 in 2008 though and got 24 channels worth of interfaces. I kept a console around for OTB mixing. I was in love with the analog sound and used to make excuses about how I didn't want to look at music because it distracted from sound or some such BS. Although I'm sure there is a bit of truth to it and I believe folks should do what works for them, I don't think I could go back now that I've been using a DAW these last 2 years. I love being able to comp takes together using a single track with layers. I love being able to edit visually and fix minor timing mistakes without major analog style hassles. I still think analog sounds fantastic but I don't think I'd give up the convenience of the DAW. Maybe tracking on analog and transferring. Then I could still fix things after the transfer and get the sound. I like mixing OTB too when I have time but I learned to make competent mixes ITB as well. Going back to the beginning of this thread, I am thinking about a Masterlink because I like the workflow of those too and hear they sound nice and open for mixing down to from a console. But, yeah, DAWs are good stuff. I'm not afraid at all anymore myself. I love it!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:10 pm

vvv wrote:Sometimes, it's not the singer's technique, necessarily, but the recording chain.

Opto-compressors, particularly, in my limited experience, can click on clamp or release.

My Meek VC3Q tends to do it on certain sounds, such as "L", besides the expected "K" sounds.
we track through a Manley limiter /pre >>> the DVC
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:22 pm

getreel wrote:, I don't think I could go back now that I've been using a DAW these last 2 years. I love being able to comp takes together using a single track with layers. !

I don't think I could mix with a mouse , after more than 10 years , using the 48 channel automated faders on the VS --

COMPS :: Maybe take a few tries on a lead sometime -- but, we A/B on the spot and dump the one not favored -- no comps/ no virtual tracks...

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:10 pm

cjogo wrote:
getreel wrote:, I don't think I could go back now that I've been using a DAW these last 2 years. I love being able to comp takes together using a single track with layers. !

I don't think I could mix with a mouse , after more than 10 years , using the 48 channel automated faders on the VS --

COMPS :: Maybe take a few tries on a lead sometime -- but, we A/B on the spot and dump the one not favored -- no comps/ no virtual tracks...
You can use something like the Euphonix MCMix controllers for faders and automation... and still only use the DAW as a playback deck, with the option to do advanced editing if need be. I never mix with a mouse.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:16 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
cjogo wrote:
honestly man, i bet if you just got a computer and whatever DAW software, within a week you'd be like "OMG this is SO much better, i can't believe i stuck with that damn roland thingy for so long."

The main problem I read :: - is latency and making everything work fluidly. The Roland just never has had a problem ..so plug & play ~! Great 24 channel interface on board. Sure we could find someone to connect everything smoothly & be running in under a week ... just buy the right cards to interface,etc.

We already had someone format a XP/PC = stripped down to Reaper.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:55 pm

noeqplease wrote:
cjogo wrote:

You can use something like the Euphonix MCMix controllers for faders and automation... and still only use the DAW as a playback deck, with the option to do advanced editing if need be. I never mix with a mouse.

Cheers
Whoa $1k for controller ? With only 8 channels ?? We just bought another VS with 48 channels for $600 and its a complete DAW -- these Rolands really are a great deal ! Think I will first hire someone to connect us to Reaper and keep the Roland as a controller ...much more affordable for today's economics ...

Autodidact
gettin' sounds

Post by Autodidact » Mon Jul 26, 2010 7:42 pm

Is this a real thread?
Formerly known as 'Perranfulo'

Why do people find the need to use the word "anal" in day to day conversation?

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:52 pm

Autodidact wrote:Is this a real thread?

Sure started as a "recording technique" .... Not sure where its headed >> Some great info was given throughout the thread..thanks
Last edited by cjogo on Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:57 pm

cjogo wrote:Whoa $1k for controller ? With only 8 channels ?? We just bought another VS with 48 channels for $600 and its a complete DAW -- these Rolands really are a great deal ! Think I will first hire someone to connect us to Reaper and keep the Roland as a controller ...much more affordable for today's economics ...
:lol:

If you knew, you would know it has a banking and a nudging button, so you can bank in sets of 8 channels at a time, or one at a time, and you can control as many channels as your DAW can handle with the one controller. In my case I have a DAW that can play back up to 200 audio channels. How many does your VS play back?

I also own one of their MCControl, which has ALL the commands for my DAW in the touchscreen, plus I can program new buttons to do complex multi key commands... can your VS do that? Can your Roland VS control any DAW?
I think you do really need to do some reading before making such silly answers.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:06 pm

noeqplease wrote:
cjogo wrote:Whoa $1k for controller ? With only 8 channels ?? We just bought another VS with 48 channels for $600 and its a complete DAW -- these Rolands really are a great deal ! Think I will first hire someone to connect us to Reaper and keep the Roland as a controller ...much more affordable for today's economics ...
:lol:

If you knew, you would know it has a banking and a nudging button, so you can bank in sets of 8 channels at a time, or one at a time, and you can control as many channels as your DAW can handle with the one controller. In my case I have a DAW that can play back up to 200 audio channels. How many does your VS play back?

I think you do really need to do some reading before making such silly answers.

Cheers
Sorry :: was just stating the price comparison > the VS has more faders and a DAW included. I'm sure the new controllers on the market, do all they are intended, though.

Can your Roland VS control any DAW
? YES = REAPER is fully compatible with all the faders on the Roland & the 24 channel interface...
Last edited by cjogo on Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:55 am, edited 2 times in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:49 am

Well, it seems that for many, Wav editing is second nature here :) And most of you probably had computers in their hands > by the time they were in college (maybe grade school (':o'))..... Think I came into the world too early :P Been behind a mixer = since the 70's ~~ still groovin' with the classics

My first board Image
Last edited by cjogo on Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

getreel
carpal tunnel

Post by getreel » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:50 am

Personally, I mix both with a console and with a mouse when I need to. It's all depending on what gear is available, the amount of time available, or personal preference really. It's fine to prefer to work one way, but it can also be very beneficial to know and use others. I find automation to be much easier with a DAW where I'm drawing envelopes instead of making multiple passes with faders. That's just my preference personally, but I honestly think it's a much faster way to work. I think summing OTB sounds better than ITB but again, that depends on what console or summing thingee you use for OTB mixing. Thingee is a technical term so I hope I didn't confuse anyone.

thethingwiththestuff
george martin

Post by thethingwiththestuff » Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:59 am

some of us working digitally actually don't mix or master using WAVs - my version of Digital Performer still uses Sound Designer II files internally.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Wed Jul 28, 2010 8:46 am

I strictly record and mix with mp3s. But then again, I only record classical music...[/humor]