Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:26 pm

Any reason that a PCI version is better than a straight Firewire :: on the RME ?? Latency problems plague one more readily -- smoother interfacing with the software intended ?
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

Gentleman Jim
buyin' a studio

Post by Gentleman Jim » Wed Oct 27, 2010 5:53 am

cjogo wrote:Any reason that a PCI version is better than a straight Firewire :: on the RME ?? Latency problems plague one more readily -- smoother interfacing with the software intended ?
The PCI card would mean fewer physical connections in the rig, which I always consider to be preferable.

Also, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that as far as latency goes, it's:

USB>Firewire 400>Firewire 800>PCI.

Meaning that USB has the highest latency, while PCI has the lowest. (Yeah, I left out MADI, eSATA, mLAN, blah blah blah.)

None of this is to say that great work can't be done on equipment that uses Firewire. But you're at a recording technology crossroads, and with the caliber of musicians you apparently work with it seems ridiculous to continue with a Band Aid mentality.

Best of luck.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Oct 27, 2010 9:00 am

Did not start behind a desk until the 70's ...followed the technology up till > everything started to cross over to the PC/MAC.

I use to visit the AES show for years but, walking the floor and trying to relate to the gear at the booths :: I realized it was becoming far from my recording world.
a recording technology crossroads
So, a little grasping at this stage.........moving from knobs and sliders > to a mouse & screen > requires some large BandAids .

We have had a few more lessons in Wav editing > now trying to connect our analog world to the PC & Reaper --- The RME multiface units look to be the start.

thanks for the help ....
Last edited by cjogo on Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:56 am

Gentleman Jim wrote:
Also, someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always been under the impression that as far as latency goes, it's:

Meaning that USB has the highest latency, while PCI has the lowest. (Yeah, I left out MADI, eSATA, mLAN, blah blah blah.)
I'd imagine you're right if you're talking about USB 1. Not sure how USB 2 compares, and I've heard USB 3 is supposed to be faster than Firewire 800.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:08 pm

dwlb wrote:
Gentleman Jim wrote:

I'd imagine you're right if you're talking about USB 1. Not sure how USB 2 compares, and I've heard USB 3 is supposed to be faster than Firewire 800.
they have to be lighting speed past the SCSI we are using -- although the Roland RBUS seems to be on par with USB 1.0 speed

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:17 pm

SCSI can be wicked fast. And supports true asynchronous I/O, which a lot of the other stuff just emulates with buffers and whatnot. I haven't read all 20zillion pages of this crap, so I have no clue which generation of SCSI you're talking about. I wish I could afford to have SCSI RAID on all my computers though.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:37 pm

CARL ;;; the ROLAND is SCSI II, as well as, the external rack HD system {{ writes fairly fast ... the most difficulty is the partitions -- the ROland can not read past 11 gb

The dual 16 channel RBUS looks very similar to the SCSI cable :: just a totally reversed wiring setup ( to keep proprietary ) Image Image

Image[/img]

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:37 pm

We ended up baking 10in reels of tape all day ...something not many of the digital folks do these days :-) 140* for 4 hours Ampex 456 >> songs from '86.....transferring to the ROland. Maybe glance at PT & Wavs > later tonight.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Nov 02, 2010 8:53 pm

cjogo wrote:We ended up baking 10in reels of tape all day ...something not many of the digital folks do these days :-)
You've earned 11 "old school" points.
cjogo wrote:140* for 4 hours Ampex 456 >> songs from '86.....transferring to the ROland.
Something not many of the analog folks do, uh.. ever. Lose 20 points!

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Not sure how many analog engineers can get by without baking tapes ?? Would never take the chance of damaging a clients tape --- baking is just a standard practice. May be losing points in some measure but , scoring in the right direction with the clients precious archives. Cassettes work fine at a prescribed temp, also.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:03 am

It's the transfer to the Roland that is something that not many analog folks do.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:24 am

http://cgi.ebay.com/Nuendo-Audiolink-96 ... 5640a29558

Just missed a great interface ---- maybe could have transferred direct to Reaper :cry:

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Nov 03, 2010 7:57 pm

subatomic pieces wrote:It's the transfer to the Roland that is something that not many analog folks do.
I do thank you for the 11 "old school" points --- will mount them on the studio walls --cover over the gold records :wink: Image

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:41 pm

Getting closer to the PC move --searching for the correct scsi pci card, now ..... need to transfer songs from our 4 external HD's ( of ROLAND wav/data )

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Nov 20, 2010 8:40 pm

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/beathoh

Newest release for a client .........

.WARNING ''' none of the above songs were subject to any Wave editing... viewing ~~~ post or pre. :=}
Last edited by cjogo on Sun Nov 21, 2010 2:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.