Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 7:09 pm

Jon Nolan wrote:um, bump?
One of my fav machines >> the Tascam 238 --- was editing songs, from that cassette machine, early this month....... the 8 channel would sync well to Roland/Kurzweil sequencers ~!
Last edited by cjogo on Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:28 pm

DrummerMan wrote:So, in answer to the original question, I'd say "yes".

...or was that covered already?
I knew there were a few ~~ who still did not edit ~~ viewing Wavs on a screen (':D')

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:43 am

cjogo wrote: Geeze > you ask legitimate questions about new ways of recording --- and it angers some. The only way we can easily gather knowledge :: is to search out audio/music threads, across the Net.

Wonder just how much flak we would get ? ::: asking about how many use a tube pre vs solid state. Or do you comp before or after pre. Just a different ways of obtaining the clients final product.
No, man, see, we went through all this "I'm getting flak for asking simple questions" stuff back on page 8. In JULY. That's long since over. Now it's 23 pages of watching you repeat the same 3 or 4 ideas over and over again, about how certain styles of music require "WAV editing" and some don't, and how young people who used computers in the womb are more likely to want to use "WAV editing" than record to your Roland digital multitrack, and about how you're continually puzzled at this mysterious new phenomenon in the music world that takes the artist out of the equation. It's maddening, but more importantly it's not progressing at all. Sure, back on page 20 you asked some stuff about SCSI connectors, but overall since page 16 or so (when you arrived at your "FINAL CONCLUSION") it's just been a string of "I learned to do a WAV Edit today and it felt strange, what a weird world you people inhabit" and "I guess your guitar player clients must like to WAV edit their solos." This isn't getting us anywhere.

cjogo wrote:You must have conversed with fellow engineers > to explore & adapt to the method of WAV editing that seem to standardly grace, all your screens . Maybe many never started with large desks /analog outboard world ~~ went right to the digital world ~ had a mouse in their hands before they were 35 years young...
I know 4 out of 6, of the local recordists/ engineers, ~ never find it necessary to execute such minute edits and also record to a stand-alone CD burner ( Masterlink/etc ).
See, this is exactly what I'm talking about. You said this same stuff 8 times before.

This messageboard can be a great resource for people who want to learn about recording and music. But like all tools, you need to learn to use it properly. I think (as the SCSI stuff on page 20 indicates) that if you ask questions...folks here will answer them. But please stop going around in circles. It's making George Martin cry.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:34 am

Never revisited my past pages much -- sorry ... I am guilty of just focusing on the page displayed.... :oops: Yes, looking back across today > over the weeks :shock: >> I have repeated many statements..will try to focus on the original topic. I have a similar thread on other sites
Ran the latency check first http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml :: Reaper has been installed for our clients >who wish to do any extensive editing. The VIR DIS software /hardware was challenging but, the RME Multiface-II 8 channel works well.... Thanks for all the patience ....

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Nov 23, 2010 2:33 pm

......would probably bring a tear to Giles Martin ---- his father, no doubt, passes on the newer tech stuff (':lol:')

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:59 pm

Second viewing of PT and Wav editing coming up at end of month ~!! --- a engineer from http://www.moonshinestudios.com/pages/about/ will be tracking here. I recognized a few of the bands he has worked with ...

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:57 am

dude. we don't care.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Dec 04, 2010 2:37 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:dude. we don't care.
thanks for all the help & care from the others , though -- moving along with all the wonderful advice >> given throughout the thread~! Anxious to put your shared info , into practice > on the up coming studio sessions...

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:03 pm

Keep us posted. I'm sure everyone here has had a hard time adapting to something that was demanded of them by clients, at some point.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 11:14 am

Sent off another CD to the Label ( 3rd with this Michigan label ) --- Still no WAV editing on this last project ---too new for us to be confident in our executions. Still have a project at the end of the month >> tracking with PT in the studio .....so I will get more hands on.

Happy Holidays

Tim A
gettin' sounds

Post by Tim A » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:18 pm

so I guess we're defining a "real musician" as someone who can spend $500 on a role of tape for a session.....cool.

It seems like a bit of a boasting thing posting all this stuff on here and to be honest I'd be more impressed if you did a whole session just in PT. (dont get me wrong I'm still impressed, Just learning tape alignment blew my mind.)

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Dec 17, 2010 5:36 pm

Our musicians are somewhat real but , just no longer can afford to use tape , these days. I still do transfers to our DAW , from 70/80's tracking ..........occasionally.

Don't mean to be boasting :') > just threading how our month has gone. Seems to be quite a few who discuss their new gear or how they implement the latest software , 'round here.

It will be interesting to track this month with PT : just glad we don't have to run the thing ':') Will just look over his shoulder as he does his magic with Digidesign 9 ........

Reaper is up an running in our PC , none of our visiting musicians .. even had a inkling to play around in the software. But its there if the occasion rises...and someone wants to view/edit a wav ,,,,they can be our guest.

still clicking buttons on the Roland DAWs .........
Last edited by cjogo on Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:49 am

timadamson wrote: It seems like a bit of a boasting thing posting all this stuff on here and to be honest I'd be more impressed if you did a whole session just in PT.
Wish we could afford to "retool" right now ------ a 16 channel interface and the PC hardware /software would be way beyond the budget for this years numbers. It's more affordable to rent the studio out and the client can pay for the engineer & the PT rental ..

loquat
audio school

Post by loquat » Thu Dec 30, 2010 1:32 am

timadamson wrote:so I guess we're defining a "real musician" as someone who can spend $500 on a role of tape for a session.....cool.
I had no idea tape was so expensive. Just for curiosity I looked up how much harddisk space $500 gets you these days. At about 10 cents a gigabyte that's 5 terabytes of space.
Even at 32bits @ 96kHz that is more than I'll ever need. I like my cheap storage and I like being able to see my WAV files. :P