Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:05 pm

About $300 a reel + plus leader, etc. >> for 20 minutes of 30ips . I checked with a LA engineer friend @ the studio : they ask for $2k deposit before they even start the sessions of analog.
whatever happened to ~ just push record......

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Dec 31, 2010 6:59 pm

loquat wrote:
timadamson wrote:so I guess we're defining a "real musician" as someone who can spend $500 on a role of tape for a session.....cool.
I had no idea tape was so expensive. Just for curiosity I looked up how much harddisk space $500 gets you these days. At about 10 cents a gigabyte that's 5 terabytes of space.
Even at 32bits @ 96kHz that is more than I'll ever need. I like my cheap storage and I like being able to see my WAV files. :P
No tracking tape around here much -- just transfers from our Tascam 1/2 in.

We use a external rack HD system -- but , our DAW can not really read past 80gb @ partitions of 11gb ..... http://vs-song-vault.ungo.net/CDRack-Pro.jpg

http://www.ungo.net/SATA-Pro5.gif

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Dec 31, 2010 7:33 pm

Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Jan 01, 2011 12:06 am

Snarl 12/8 wrote:Image

thanks KARL -- tried the [img] link but, had no luck -- well > still technically challenged with more than just Wavs, for 2011 (':lol:')

Bill @ Irie Lab
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Bill @ Irie Lab » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:09 am

Page Twenty-four - yikes!

What's the TOMB record?

Bill
I&TC - Intonation and Technology Company
Irie Lab Sound Studios

***** Sound Science & Soul *****

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:45 am

Bill @ Irie Lab wrote:Page Twenty-four - yikes!

What's the TOMB record?

Bill
I don't know, as far as a proper post goes.

So I will chime in :

In the past page, page 23, our delightful OP, CGojo, has stated he rarely uses tape. He states they mostly do tape transfers.
This was my life, but back in 2000.

CGojo :

EMBRACE THE NEW TECHNOLOGY, AND SCRIBBLE UPON THY WAVS WITH RECKLESS ABANDON. SCRIBBLE SCRIBBLE SCRIBBLE.

There are far too many records that I have worked on that started on 2" tape, or some other flavor of tape, which I had to dump into a DAW in order to save it's life.

An please, STOP USING BEHRINGER PRODUCTS.

As a matter of personal sanity.

Cheers and happy 2011.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:18 pm

Thanks everyone ~!! -- trying to find a substitute for our Behringer -. Getting paid from the label next week & will find something in the next month , we hope....

I have been practicing with WAV edits in Audacity and Sound Forge :: so easy with a stereo track in that software. The Roland is still a little klutzy -- especially with that actual edit on the screen and the mouse relation.....what a difference. I think many OPs would have the same results on the VS system.

But then again :: I still can't manipulate that little square on our laptop > have to use a track ball for everything. (':roll:')

thanks all for a great year ~!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:44 am

cjogo wrote:Thanks everyone ~!! -- trying to find a substitute for our Behringer -. Getting paid from the label next week & will find something in the next month , we hope....
I have been practicing with WAV edits in Audacity and Sound Forge :: so easy with a stereo track in that software. The Roland is still a little klutzy -- especially with that actual edit on the screen and the mouse relation.....what a difference. I think many OPs would have the same results on the VS system.
But then again :: I still can't manipulate that little square on our laptop > have to use a track ball for everything. (':roll:')
thanks all for a great year ~!
Hi C,

I think you will take to a DAW like fish to water. Think of the editor as a much much much much much better Roland. And the sound quality will be better too. The only caveat for you is to avoid getting TOO edit happy. It's like a good drug... when used properly, no issues, but go a little too far and BAM! crap records.

As far as trackballs, I use the mighty Kensington Turbo Ball. Then every 3-4 months I change it up with a Razer Naga gaming mouse, to avoid carpal tunnel syndrome.

And as to screen... well... 55" LCD is plenty good for seeing those WAV files, and slicing them up like sushi.
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Sun Jan 09, 2011 10:30 am

the Sony 21in VGA is not bad : but the Roland is max 640X resolution .... I am finding that with all the abundant editing that can be expounded > there is no extra pay ~!

It seems to follow that pattern in the photo world, ... I edit daily in CS & the clients just expect the skills gratis....... Don't think I will tend to over achieve in that area with the DAW. I do like the automated faders for the 48 channels ( could not mix without ) but, I pressure the artists more with their performance ~ than my editing in post work.

Waltz Mastering
steve albini likes it

Post by Waltz Mastering » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:55 pm

cjogo wrote: It seems to follow that pattern in the photo world, ... I edit daily in CS & the clients just expect the skills gratis....... Don't think I will tend to over achieve in that area with the DAW. I do like the automated faders for the 48 channels ( could not mix without )
Good to see you're coming around CJ. I think there are many parallels between the world of photography and the world of music and the manipulation of both.

cjogo wrote: but, I pressure the artists more with their performance ~ than my editing in post work.
...as it should be.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Tue Jan 11, 2011 1:33 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:It's like a good drug... when used properly, no issues, but go a little too far and BAM! crap records.
So, so true. When I first switched to a computer from a standalone unit that didn't allow edits other than punching in, I started spending hours perfecting the timing of literally every drum beat I played in a song. Took forever, and took doing that to maybe two or three songs to realize not only was the result not good enough to warrant that kind of work, but it generally sounded like crap. That's when I really started appreciating that not every part of a song needs to be quantized like some midi thing. Once I started recording other people I realized that little variances here and there only jumped out to me in my own music. Now I record digitally but use the computer like a tape machine. I'll occasionally edit two takes together, maybe three depending on the difficulty of the song, but in general in my studio it's been 'if you fuck up, you start over'. Then the work/effort is in the playing, where it should be, not in fixing. Priorities! And it just sounds so much better.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:58 pm

Luckily, we have been able to to pick and choose the artist that graces our studios. Most have never seen a Wav edit or even understand the mechanics behind one. So the '
if you fuck up, you start over
applies throughout this studio.

I still believe the engineer has a duty to mic /track correctly and then mix the assembled channels to a stereo finish. Sure, there is some crafting of the EQ & levels to obtain the quality results but, a large portion > of the task > has to be directed to the performance of the artist .

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:11 am

I am sure bands like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIDpG5ho ... re=related> influence a lot how we (and the clients gracing our studios ) record -- four tracks : with ner a wav protruding.

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:17 pm

http://www.datasonics.com.au/vspro.html Finally a software to allow WAV editing with the Roland VS ~!! Maybe able to move into the 21st Century :-)

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Tue Feb 23, 2016 3:47 pm

Just to update ::: :lol: After a few years

We still do not have to view or edit a WAV in our screens -- No longer mixing down to a Masterlink

But the Roland VS2480 still running smoothly and we are now mixing down to 2 channels in REAPER ..