RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ??
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cjogo
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

We are still mix by ears/ meters -- No computer in line .. We mixdown to a Masterlink .... Never really used Wav's in any of our studio work ...

A copy of Sonic Foundry is in the video/photo editing PC .. so we have played around slightly in that software ...but, never visually work with a WAV in tracking or mixing.

Last edited by cjogo on Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

our studio tracks and mixes to tape on most projects, but we also have a 24i/o digital rig that sits patiently. i think there are a bunch of joints that operate the same way as our place. i like having both options.
cjogo
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

SO, you have a PC/Mac with DIG I/O for 2 track editing ?? We use a Finalizer style unit between the recorder and the Masterlink.....
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

That's interesting.

I've been using DAWs since 1998, and the only time I like to look at the waveforms is when editing them, otherwise I put up a mixer view, and minimize the edit window.

I hate mixing with the eyeballs, they are not made for that. I guess you can have a personal philosophy about how you approach a DAW.

Cheers
blackdiscoball
suffering 'studio suck'

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

Really? I sold my monitors and have just mixed visually for the last 2 years. I don't know what my clients music sounds like but I looks great!
cjogo
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

Way too difficult to edit WAVs on our ROLAND VS DAW --- a little sluggish -- and soft resolution output to the VGA ..so never really edited with the screen --- been on a DAW since early 90's > still like the ears best~~ but, may take a lesson on WAV editing
cgarges
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

90% of the time, I mix to Masterlink. 5%, I"m mixing to tape when I'm working someplace with a good, working two-track machine and 5% of the time, I'm mixing back to two tracks of the RADAR (usually a low track-count, 96kHz session). I never mix to a personal computer.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
cjogo
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

I guess we really never need to edit that closely --- we don't use loops -- little necessity to chop & cut up portions .....maybe our clients just are better players?? I think of all the great productions, for countless years >> without Wavs...... Must be the clients that force one to go to Wav editing??
vvv
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

Well, in the bedio, y'know, the Studer and SSL jes' don't fit. I have too many amps in there ... Twisted Evil

And, I do use drum loops a lot, and even recording the band's drummer I tend to like to re-arrange (not to mention fix the occasional bad hit).

Butt I'm one o' them down-home recordist-types, all y'all know what I mean.
drumsound
TOMB Moderator
TOMB Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

I use the tape decks more than the RADAR. The RADAR monitor sits behind me to my right. I look at it sometimes for editing, though they really screwed the pooch with zoom in on that machine. Christ, for 16K you'd think you could get a real zoom in, you can zoom out so far that a 2+ hour show in a tiny sliver on the screen, but the zoom in SUCKS.
SARA QUAH PLEDGE PAGE
WWRTBD?
cjogo
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJnKMLbXSFU

In this studio, where I track live -- no need for WAV edits -- what we get, is whats on tracks. But, in my studio all the drums are electronic (pads/keys ) ~ recorded to Kurzweil sequencers ... no WAVs in those machines : for sure. Guess I started in the 70's without them,,,,getting along so far.

Last edited by cjogo on Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

personally i like recording real drums in a big room onto a computer, but hey...
cjogo
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

Just don't have the space in our studio ( or neighbors who like the disturbance after 25 years here ) The other studio is a marvelous spot > but, most our clients can't find the budget.
Danly
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

even if I am mixing to 2-track tape, I'll still record the mix into a computer so I can turn it into mp3's and email people..

Haven't yet brought a reel in to a mastering house, but looking forward to it..
cjogo
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Does anyone still mix / master without viewing WAVs ?? Reply with quote

We record to Masterlink for our final ...but, have to convert to MP3 back in the office PC
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Recording Techniques All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: