DBX 164 / 163 recapping and troubleshooting

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

DBX 164 / 163 recapping and troubleshooting

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:02 am

I own a DBX 164 and just purchased a vintage 163 as well. Since the 164 is a stereo compressor but can be Y-cabled to act as a mono device, that's how it's primarily used, but I wanted the option as a stereo device at mixdown someday.

The 164 is a bit noisy/hissy, and the second channel LEDs stop responding after about a 1/4 of the way. The compression is working but there are now LED indicators after that point. I have a hard time believing it's actually the LEDs that are bad, since there are several of them in a continuous line. So I'm trying to figure out if anyone knows what controls that LED meter?

Also, would recapping the units help them at all in terms of noise? Some say these units are inherently noisy, but I can't imagine that replacing caps on a 30+ year old device wouldn't have some effect?

Drone
re-cappin' neve

Post by Drone » Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:52 am

I think this is one of the ones that you can do the Burr Brown op-amp mod on, isn't it? That's meant to bring the noise down about 20dB.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/viewtopic.php?p=448644
The previous statement is from a guy who records his own, and other projects for fun. No money is made.

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:26 pm

I think I read you can swap out the 4558s for something else but I don't remember which one at the moment.

I actually can't even get the top panel off the unit to access the solder side of the PCBs... stupid covers are held in grooves and have super-sticky cushion tape holding them down...

WhinyLittleRunt
ass engineer

Post by WhinyLittleRunt » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:33 pm

Here are a few gut shots, since I can't find any on the net...