audio school graduate

Supernatural Sound, Oregon

Post by Class A » Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:54 am

Piotr
tinnitus

Re: Supernatural Sound, Oregon

Post by Piotr » Thu Dec 18, 2003 10:24 am

Showoff!!!

Just kidding, looks like a nice space, and I have heard good things. It would be fun to take a tour sometime...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:06 pm

Thanks, Rich, for the tour today,

It was great seeing your place and all your cool toys!

And thanks, Neal, for taking me out!
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Sun Dec 21, 2003 2:43 am

Okay, I dont want to come off like a dick here- cause actually Im rather jealous, however, it seems like your gear list goes on for miles in terms of outboard, the mixing boards, daw, etc, but seems like an adequate tho not nearly as over the top as everything else mic collection. I put mics and studio room first on my list when I book a studio.

Just seems odd to me.
Frost

Piotr
tinnitus

Post by Piotr » Sun Dec 21, 2003 9:50 am

I would say the same thing, but the current list may not reflect some recent purchases I saw. Further, it sounds as if Supernatural is getting busy and will have plenty of funds to beef up the mic locker.

You might consider their excellent tracking room and API console as selling points over and above the mic selection, though they have plenty of nice mics already...
Yours,

Piotr

piotr@thebarkmarket.com

----------------------
Id quod visum plocet

Thomas Aquinas

audiogeek1
steve albini likes it

Post by audiogeek1 » Wed Dec 24, 2003 9:24 am

Super Natural Sound is an excellent place. It caters to freelance engineers. Most of us have our own mics. At least the wierd ones that we like. Rich has all the basics with a few bonus features.

I myself carry some tube mics, ribbon mics, and off the wall dynamics. When I go to supernatural I bring those. As for the outboard I only bring my Vari MU. I will be there towards the end of January and looking forward to it very much since it has changed so much in the 2 years I have been out of Portland.

Mike

Class A
audio school graduate

Post by Class A » Wed Dec 24, 2003 12:18 pm

Good observation on the mic list. Just a note, Rich has just added a pair of Shure Ksm32s and a pair of AudioTechnica 4050's.

What kind of mics do YOU think would make the collection a little more robust/interesting/useful?

Thanks again for the feedback.

Neal
"The are no scratch tracks in life."

Frost
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by Frost » Fri Dec 26, 2003 6:32 pm

It just seems like the studio is equipt with A list studio gear, PT HD3, 1073's,Hardys, API console, Neve Console, 1176's, Smart, chandler, TCm5000- this is a list of the who's who of top end recording gear.

The Mics are good functional pieces, but more like what I find in nicely kept project studios. If people are bringing their own, and the place is busy, put some cash in the bank. Most other studios cant do that. However, if your trying to put everything on par... match the Lawson and make a pair, add a big name LD like a 47 or 49 or both. Find the right 67, good ones are great, bad ones well... Maybe a c12 or sounddelux 251. I would pick 2-3 LD mics that people will talk about. Seek them out from the right source and listen before you buy. I would also seek out a couple of small diaphrams. It looks like the studio is going for a colored sound so some km54 type of mics would fit the bill. Alternately some 4011's always sound great to me.

The studio has the gear to get the job done, They have a lot of gear that people will talk about and bring in more clients. I have found that mics really make or break a record (well after performance) and that putting a mic in front of someone that:
1. Makes them sound great
2. Looks neat and the engineers can talk about
3. Has a name that makes the ears perk up

Will attract clients because people will go home and talk about how great a mic was at a session. Only the ubergeeks like me go home and talk about the killer 1176's in the rack.

Just my $.02 about a studio thats obviously doing great on their own.
Frost

Class A
audio school graduate

Post by Class A » Mon Dec 29, 2003 12:30 pm

Thanks frost... Any/All advice/suggestions is/are appreciated/enjoyed.

And for what its worth, I too find compressors to be way sexier than mics. Uber-nerds unite! ;)

neal
"Making dreams come true, one track at a time."