Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Just saying Hi!

Post by g.a.harry » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:52 pm

Hello everyone,

I just wanted to say hi.

Over the last few days I've been trawling the Board, and I've come to the conclusion that you guys are much friendlier and less presupposing than the dudes over at GSz. I've been a member there for a couple years and have always felt waaaaay too intimidated to post anything, anywhere, ever. I think in all that time I may have posted 6 times.

It's nice not to be made to feel the fool all the time.

Thanks for being awesome. It looks good on you. :D

..wonderfriend..

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:58 pm

Form of a recording forum!
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

Jon Nolan
tinnitus

Post by Jon Nolan » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:18 pm

hey wonderfriend! welcome aboard!

If you need anyone to shout you down about, you know, your music opinions or gear lameness or something, you know - just so you avoid *total* culture shock, just let us know. I'm sure we can accomodate you ;)

kidding aside though, happy to have ya.

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:33 pm

Good to know. I do every once in a while I wake up with an overarching desire to be berated for being an absolute amateur, but I figure I'll keep my other membership just in case.

Thanks.

Jitters
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Jitters » Mon Nov 22, 2010 1:04 am

Yeah this place feels cozy don't it?

jnTracks
steve albini likes it

Post by jnTracks » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:01 am

/wave
-Justin Newton
railroadavenuerecording.com what i like to do

Wagz
takin' a dinner break

Post by Wagz » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:58 am

Tape op is the cozy fireplace of audio forums.
Welcome.
Snoring Hound Studio
Kalisepll, MT

timcoalman
gettin' sounds

Post by timcoalman » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:50 am

For me, a pleasant irony of this message board being so humble and open with everyone is that because the professionals on here are not megalomaniacs boasting about everything they have done and do not put beginners like me in my ?proper? (i.e. lowly and disparaged) place I have no delusions that my studio space equates to a professional studio, I know my skills are hobbyist quality, and I would immediately go to one of said professionals (Chris Garges especially) to bring one of my projects to completion based on their reputation on these boards and the way they treat and teach everyone else. This is all the more true for people like me, amateur musicians fascinated by the engineering aspect of music and using a studio environment to further one?s shaping of sounds. I?ve been to other boards where the tone is always one of competition and strutting ? necessitating the trumpeting and exaggeration of one?s abilities to feel like part of the alpha-group and to desperately try to ever-advance one?s standing in the hierarchy. The ole game of one-upmanship. I?ve heard a few argue (elsewhere) that Tape Op somehow instills in beginners a misplaced sense that they can compete with experts ? but I always feel enriched and thankful to hear from those I know to be well educated, experienced, and wise based on the quality of their posts and their participation in this exchange forum.

g.a.harry
alignin' 24-trk

Post by g.a.harry » Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:07 pm

I just like not having to feel guilty for asking questions, or posting one in the wrong forum (heaven forbid).

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:14 pm

timcoalman wrote:I would immediately go to one of said professionals (Chris Garges especially) to bring one of my projects to completion based on their reputation on these boards and the way they treat and teach everyone else.
Thanks, Tim. That's very kind. Let me know if I can ever help bring one of your projects to completion.

Welcome to the board, wonderfriend. It really is one of the less stressful recording forums around. It's a lot like the magazine.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Thu Dec 02, 2010 5:02 pm

I don't know what you yahoo's are talking about, people are so mean here. :wink:

Just today Chris offered to send me some 7 pin cable for free. I mean the nerve of that guy.

this place understands sarcasm too....me likey. :D

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:52 pm

I've met a lot of REALLY, REALLY great people that I consider true friends on this board and as a result of the TapeOp Conferences (RIP). It's a very cool place, mostly because of the people involved. I wouldn't spend so much time on here if it weren't fun.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:46 pm

timcoalman wrote: I?ve heard a few argue (elsewhere) that Tape Op somehow instills in beginners a misplaced sense that they can compete with experts.
These are sad people, living life like it's a competition.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Dec 06, 2010 3:08 am

*Clicks heels of ruby slippers* There's no place like w/ the homies.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:08 am

timcoalman wrote:For me, a pleasant irony of this message board being so humble and open with everyone is that because the professionals on here are not megalomaniacs boasting about everything they have done and do not put beginners like me in my ?proper? (i.e. lowly and disparaged) place I have no delusions that my studio space equates to a professional studio, I know my skills are hobbyist quality, and I would immediately go to one of said professionals (Chris Garges especially) to bring one of my projects to completion based on their reputation on these boards and the way they treat and teach everyone else. This is all the more true for people like me, amateur musicians fascinated by the engineering aspect of music and using a studio environment to further one?s shaping of sounds. I?ve been to other boards where the tone is always one of competition and strutting ? necessitating the trumpeting and exaggeration of one?s abilities to feel like part of the alpha-group and to desperately try to ever-advance one?s standing in the hierarchy. The ole game of one-upmanship. I?ve heard a few argue (elsewhere) that Tape Op somehow instills in beginners a misplaced sense that they can compete with experts ? but I always feel enriched and thankful to hear from those I know to be well educated, experienced, and wise based on the quality of their posts and their participation in this exchange forum.
Hey,

That's for my shrink to decide...

:biggergrin:
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.