Where do you meet like-minded musicians?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Frickety
audio school

Where do you meet like-minded musicians?

Post by Frickety » Wed May 18, 2011 9:14 am

Let's say I'm new in town. I'd like to find one or more musical collaborators.
Craigslist hasn't been that useful so far.
When I look back, my past partnerships resulted from music store 3 X 5's and random chance. But I'm wondering about what else I might do.
I've been reading this forum and Tapeop for years. I thought you guys might have some input. Thanks.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 18, 2011 10:03 am

There's bandmix.com ...
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

LupineSound
gettin' sounds

Post by LupineSound » Wed May 18, 2011 10:06 am

I find that friends and friends-of-friends is the best route to go. At least that way they're somewhat vouched for.

Messageboards are good, too, in the sense that you probably already have something in common and maybe even have a sense of the person's personality.

Craigslist is a real crapshoot. I've had some great luck with it, but there is far more chaff than wheat. If you're willing to sift through it, you can find what you're looking for. One band I've been playing with for about a year now consists solely of CL dudes that I likely never would have met otherwise. That said, I've jammed with many more CL bozos who could barely play their instruments, or on the flipside, great players who weren't much fun to hang out with.

dfuruta
re-cappin' neve

Post by dfuruta » Wed May 18, 2011 10:22 am

Go to shows in the appropriate genres and talk to people.

ott0bot
dead but not forgotten

Post by ott0bot » Wed May 18, 2011 10:23 am

I'd scope out the Cinnabn at your local mall.

:?

seriously though....It's a bit like dating. Go to alot of local shows and try to meet the musicians in bands you actualy like. Buy the guys or gals some drinks and get chummy, make contact through email or social media. See if somewhere down the road they'd like to collaborate. Who knows...maybe they aren't happy with the band they're in and are looking for a change.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed May 18, 2011 10:43 am

dfuruta wrote:Go to shows in the appropriate genres and talk to people.
This is the answer. Everything else is a waste of time. If you don't jump in and MAKE YOURSELF A PART of whatever scene you wanna be a part of, you'll just be a wallflower. Start meeting real human beings in person as soon as you possibly can.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed May 18, 2011 10:50 am

Yeah, the rest is all "gab," as George Harrison said.

Meeting possible bandmates that might form lasting bonds is hard enough. Add to that Internet posts, newspaper ads, flyers all over town-- the usual, and you just wind-up finding a lot of, ah, interesting characters. Cattle call auditions only work at the full-time, big money, pro-pro level, like if you're Aerosmith or American Idol. And look at the yocals that _still_ show-up to that show thinking they have "talent."

Meet people live, in-person, at the types of events that are part of the scene that you want to be in. Network. Get to know. Eventually, so-and-so might pass your number on, or pass a few numbers to you. Get to know good private music teachers that have good students. A lot of times, they are looking for a gig, and the teacher is looking to help get them one...

GJ

maggot
ass engineer

Post by maggot » Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:31 pm

I've put together a band on Craigslist & another through Villiage Voice classifieds. Not necessarily as simpatico as the band of friends I put together in college, but we didn't have to worry about finding a new drummer each time the bass player and I uuhhhhgg..."got back together."

Trying to put together a band through flyers/classifieds/craigslist is doable. You've got to do a little screening before you meet people, and you can't find yourself thinking that an uncomfortable audition is the worst thing in the world. It's like internet dating - it starts ugly, but it's a good way for a wallflower to meet a lot of people.

Schmoozing never worked that well for me. I met a lot of musicians and ended up having to pretend to like their terrible bands.

losttrailnc
audio school graduate

Post by losttrailnc » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Back when I was still doing bands I used CL, but it wasn't much help. I'm an ambient and drone composer, and yet that didn't stop a flood from Van Halen cover folks and Southern Rock folks from contacting me.

This and many other reasons is why I'm in a mostly solo project now.
There is no such thing as an empty space or an empty time. There is always something to see, something to hear. In fact, try as we may to make a silence, we cannot. -John Cage

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:34 pm

shithead wrote:I find that friends and friends-of-friends is the best route to go. At least that way they're somewhat vouched for.
This is what's typically worked for me. I've never felt my chops were such that I could drop in and play with anyone, so context - including friendly faces - has always meant a lot to me.
Also - go back to grad school. Seriously - lots of frustrated musicians in grad school!

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:21 pm

To add to all the above:

I've been finding I meet good players since I went back to renting space at a rehearsal studio. You can listen through the door and audition them before even deciding to say hello.

Loitering around a good used instrument store could work too.
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

Chris_Avakian
steve albini likes it

Post by Chris_Avakian » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:53 pm

im lucky. little rock has midtown billiards. :)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed Aug 10, 2011 5:51 pm

I'm so desperate for a bass or guitar player (Riverside, IL practice! PM me!) I been thinkin' about selling grass.

Or delivering pizza. :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

themagicmanmdt
george martin

Post by themagicmanmdt » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:04 am

man, weed dealers know EVERYBODY.
we are the village green
preservation society
god bless +6 tape
valves and serviceability

*chief tech and R&D shaman at shadow hills industries*

T-rex
dead but not forgotten

Post by T-rex » Wed Sep 21, 2011 7:15 am

Weed dealers and pizza delivery men; they are truly connected!

Friends of friends has really worked best for me. Once you get the first band going, usually everything expands from there. Going to shows is great too, but it may be hard to make a connection unless you are really outgoing.