RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Chris Shaw, Re: Bob Dylan's Desire

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Magazine
View previous topic :: View next topic  
crandallwarren
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:30 am    Post subject: Chris Shaw, Re: Bob Dylan's Desire Reply with quote

I really enjoyed reading this month's interview with Chris Shaw. I'm a huge Dylan fan and I always love to read the experiences of the engineers and crew who have worked with him, because it sheds such a different light on his workflow and how the albums have come together over the years.

But I have to admit, my jaw dropped when Chris said that Desire was Dylan's 'Worst-sounding' record. Are you kidding me? I absolutely love the sound of that record.

Its got this incredibly organic, gooey, 'big room' quality to it- but you can still hear everything clear. Dylan's vocals are still right on top. I'm particularly fond of the drum sounds on that record. I've often been listening to Isis or One More Cup of Coffee and thought to myself 'next time I'm in a studio, I'm gonna play this track for everyone".

Anyways, Don Meehan and Howie Wyeth, you're still my heros! You too Chris.
Nick Sevilla
speech impediment

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Shaw, Re: Bob Dylan's Desire Reply with quote

"One man's trash is another's treasure"
A National Acrobat
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Shaw, Re: Bob Dylan's Desire Reply with quote

crandallwarren wrote:

But I have to admit, my jaw dropped when Chris said that Desire was Dylan's 'Worst-sounding' record. Are you kidding me? I absolutely love the sound of that record.

Its got this incredibly organic, gooey, 'big room' quality to it- but you can still hear everything clear. Dylan's vocals are still right on top. I'm particularly fond of the drum sounds on that record.

Ha ha, yeah. That was kind of a head-turner for me as well since I really echo your sentiments regarding the organic sound. If I remember correctly, he was really concentrating on live takes for all instruments on that album.
lukievan
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Shaw, Re: Bob Dylan's Desire Reply with quote

I agree - great sounding record.
Also, this: http://www.timsah.com/Bob-Dylan-Isis-1975/q0QVrVl6x7x
recall
alignin' 24-trk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Shaw, Re: Bob Dylan's Desire Reply with quote

me too. loved it for years. my favourite Dylan record.

I know what he means though, it's a very odd mix, but that is exactly why I like it.
Peterson Goodwyn
pushin' record

PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: Chris Shaw, Re: Bob Dylan's Desire Reply with quote

I've gotta agree with Mr. Shaw. For me, the copious reverb pushes it into an awkward place between the in-the-room magic of the mid-60's trio and the calculated auterism of, say, Time Out of Mind. It's not live enough to pull me in, and it's too badly executed for me to appreciate it from a distance.

Plus, the band isn't one of Dylan's better-sounding ones. Howard Wyeth is great, but his tone is pretty thwacky. I can take or leave the fiddle and bouzouki. And they almost run the train right off the rails on "Hurricane" a couple times.

I say all this because I LOVE the songs on Desire, and it has always stood for me as an example of how getting the production wrong really can knock the legs out from under great songs. To me the Rolling Thunder Review is the definitive document of the Desire songs.
Winstontaneous
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Chris Shaw, Re: Bob Dylan's Desire Reply with quote

Funny, I think it's just an album that invites differing opinions.
It's my wife's favorite Dylan album, and my least favorite...I personally like Oh Mercy and everything since more than anything that came before. crazy
Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> Tape Op Magazine All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: