Recording Workshop

inquiringmind
audio school

Recording Workshop

Post by inquiringmind » Fri Jan 02, 2004 7:23 am

I'm new to the boards and I've got a few questions for everyone. 3 months ago, I got laid off from my job. It wasn't a job I liked, but it was good money. The other night, my wife & I were talking and she brought up the prospect of me attending the Recording Workshop and making a career transition into something I love doing - music, recording, etc., - instead of something I drudge through.

I'd be interested to know what you guys/gals know/have heard/think about the Recording Workshop. It's only about 2 hours from me. When everything's said & done, it looks like it would be around $5k for 8 weeks worth of education. Is it worth it in your opinion?

Also, I'd be interested to know what kind of opportunites exist out there for engineers. Am I trying to live out a pipe dream by thinking I can make a decent living at this? What am I truly in for?

Thanks in advance.

hapbeat
audio school graduate

Re: Recording Workshop

Post by hapbeat » Sun Jan 04, 2004 12:25 am

5k for 8 weeks! Frankly, you'd be better off spending half of that on some gear and using the remainder hiring someone knowledgeable to help set you up and give some mentoring. If you don't have any recording gear, there won't be any work - and studios will not be hiring. Most jobs go via word of mouth, typically between peoole who've worked together frequently.
You're better off being independent, but like any self employment, it will be a hard living, and take a lot of time and commitment. If you want to do a workshop first so you can make a decision, I certainly wouldn't spend 5k on it. You'd be better off spending a grand or so picking someone's brains for a couple of days.

DavidATX
takin' a dinner break

Post by DavidATX » Sun Jan 04, 2004 1:43 pm

Yeah...don't waste your time and money on a recording school. Like Hapbeat said you are much much better off buying some equipment and learning to do it yourself. My studio, and I know others do it as well, offer small workshops for very very very very little money that can be helpful. Even then, reading a book and just recording people for free is better than that! I wont even take an intern from a recording school unless his demo is white hot...

David
Republic Studios

ahmedgarcia
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by ahmedgarcia » Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:11 pm

...and/or go to the TapeOp convention in New Orleans this year, network, meet people...

Ed Stork
audio school graduate

Post by Ed Stork » Sat Jan 10, 2004 8:15 am

Hello Inquiring mind, I finished the audio program at The Recording Workshop in Ohio. Here is a story for you. I moved to Orlando Fl 3 1/2 years ago with hopes to attend full sail, after doing plenty of research and playing in a dozen sessions with various bands I realized why full sail is #1 on shitschools.com. So I took a plain to Ohio for the recording workshop program. This was one of the best experiences of my life. You should go, and even though you live close you should consider staying at the school in one of the cabins just for the experience. Unlike full sail 90% of the students at the workshop took it very seriously, and by hanging out all the time I made some great friends and learned so much more. You might think what can I really learn in 8 weeks, well to be honest just as much as a full sail student with their two year 30k education, I still live in Orlando and I run into these pompas asses all the time. MOST full sail students think they know everything. Yes, you can learn all this on your own without going to school, but unless you understand signal flow or how basic outboard gear really works then you'll be way behind. I meet people all the time without schooling that twist knobs and get a good sound, but can they explain how a compresor works....NO Anyway, check the prices again because with my plain ticket and staying at the school it was less than 4k, and once again WORTh EVERY PENNY. Oh, and give them a call...most of the instructors have been there for 8 or more years, that is impressive in itself. Happy to help. Ed

inquiringmind
audio school

Post by inquiringmind » Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:04 pm

Thanks Ed. RW/recording school may not be for everyone, but after researching it & taking a tour of their facilities this week, it seems to be a good fit for me. I start classes on Monday morning & I'm excited to get down there and learn all that I can. I am staying in a cabin, through the week at least.

Ed Stork
audio school graduate

Post by Ed Stork » Sun Jan 11, 2004 9:02 am

Very cool, Your going to dig it. Tell those cats Ed Stork said hello. Keep in touch with me and let me know how things are, and if you have any questions write anytime. Ed Oh, and if you can manage to get cabin 7 its all the way at the top of the hill but its worth the hike "its the only one with an oven" Later

Miko of Kensington
pluggin' in mics

Post by Miko of Kensington » Mon Feb 09, 2004 1:01 am

I went there a couple of years ago. I knew a lot going into it but, I came out with many of my gaps in knowledge filled. It's an environment where you learn as much as you want. The REAL instructors there love to have their brains picked. It was one of the best experiences of my life. No B.S. Sh*t, I've been tempted to make the 4 hour trip just to say hi to everyone again. They keep up with their gear. You're hands on from the second day. It's quite intense, really. You go morning til night. It's a great change of pace. Just thinking about my experience there is making me smile. If you can do it. Do it. Try to get in the Town House, too. The cabins suck!

sthslvrcnfsn
steve albini likes it

Post by sthslvrcnfsn » Tue Feb 10, 2004 9:55 am

I had a friend go to that a year or so (?) ago, said it was great. I'm probably going to save up enough to go there soon. Is this the one in Chilicothe? And thanks for the glowing praise for the workshop, it is helping my decision.

jim

Electricide
dead but not forgotten

Post by Electricide » Thu Feb 12, 2004 11:15 am

I spent a year as a dedicated assistant at a small studio and learned everything I would have elsewhere. granted, in one studio, you're stuck learning the gear they have there, in detail. So it wouldn't hurt to find a place with a 2" and pro tools. Once you develop trust with the studio owner, let him/her know you're dedicated and trustworthy, you'll get chances. And you'll know how the staff engineers work, so you can pre-ept their moves.
If you really want to know the science, attend a 2 day workshop are go to the library. Real engineers will be able to tell you what you need to konw and expect in an actual recording situation.

On a resume, Recording Workshop isn't going to get you in the door any more than "aspiring engineer". Not being a dick and speaking clearly and honestly will.

headache9
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by headache9 » Fri Feb 13, 2004 10:23 am

I went to the recording workshop 15 years ago when I was 19. Then I went straight out to california all excited to become an engineer. I couldn't really even get any studio's to talk to me. No one cared about the school. In fact they made fun of the school often & I was usually treated pretty badly.

I never did get a studio to let me in the door even to work for free. I finally bought my own gear 2 years ago. Now I'm workin on my own time...& I learn something new everyday.

hapbeat
audio school graduate

Post by hapbeat » Sat Feb 14, 2004 12:33 am

I just confirmed I'll be in the US to do a workshop/production masterclass this May in Tucson. Cost is around $100. There are a lot of low cost, high end programs like this in the UK, with some really top notch people involved..(I'm in the top 60 leading UK producers now, shameless plug!)and an equivalent is overdue in the USA.
Just email me for details or visit my website for credits etc.
happybeat@xrs.net
http://happybeat.xrs.net

El Oso
audio school

Post by El Oso » Fri Feb 20, 2004 8:11 pm

I too have been considering taking some recording classes. I already own a bunch of gear as I have been sound designing for theatre for some time. I am completing an MFA in Sound Design in May, and have been toying with the idea of getting into more recording work. I don't know much about the music business, but I do have a lot of experience with ProTools, and acoustics, and some basic electronics (half of theatrical sound design is in creating systems). Are there any worthwhile workshops, or classes in the New York City area? Perhaps even studios people would recommend contacting?

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Sat Feb 21, 2004 9:14 am

If you have a degree in Sound Design, own a bunch of gear, know Pro Tools, acoustics, basic electronics, and have live sound theatre experience, why in the world would you need to take recording classes???

What is there to know about the "music business?" YOU are the music business.

El Oso
audio school

Post by El Oso » Mon Feb 23, 2004 6:06 pm

Beyond a voice over, or some really simply vocal setup, I know very little about recording. I also don't really know where to begin in the music industry. I just thought a few classes would offer some more insight. Besides, I rather enjoy the academic persuit. Where would you suggest I begin?