What Did You Work On Today? 8/3/11

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 pm

Spent 6 hours on some radio that should have taken 2.

Recorded crowd noise with 2 Sennheiser lavalier mics in spaced omni configuration, 'cuz that's what I had on hand when the party broke out.

Test-drove my recently-acquired Altec Lansing 1592A on a bowed-saw session. First time I ever recorded saw was in 1990, and I used an EV 635 into a Soundcraft board; this time it was double-miked with an AEA R84 ribbon into the Altec and a U89 into a Daking Mic Pre One.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 5:24 am

Okay, you double dared me, so here it is...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv6gE9FsRxk

If you want to try this at home, be aware-- this worm will crawl along for a few minutes, and then go all comatose-- and then wake up and keep trucking. It must be the case that there are few predators, I mean you don't dress up in a lime green suit to be inconspicuous now do you?

For a soundtrack, I recalled a session the spectacular bluegrass band Hill Hollow did here a few years ago-- one of these race-through-as-much-material-as-possible-in-a-12-hour-stretch, so I thought revisiting a mix of "Reuben Had a Train" would be as logical as anything else... no more illogical, at least. The bulk of the song has an RMS of -9, which is pretty loudish, in my world.

Enjoy! And remember, you made me do it!
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:48 am

dave watkins wrote:and as always, what did you do today garges?
I'm in the middle of mixing a completely stellar record by songwriter Chris Smith, aka Sunshone Still. Some of you may know Sunshine Still as the artist whose song, "Damn You, California," I played during the mixing panel at the first TapeOp Con in Tucson. Chris is one of my favorite artists of all time. I've done five recording projects with him and I mixed the first two Sunshone Still albums. I tracked and mixed this one and it is one of the crazy best things I've ever asked to be a part of. It's great to have watched Chris' growth as a writer and performer over the last ten years or so and this album is a beautiful represenation of where he is right now. The guy is smart, a completely engaging vocalist, a hell of a songwriter, and a totally nice guy. I can't wait for this album to come out. It's dark and heavy, reflecting much of Chris' personal experiences in the two years since his last album, but it's SOOOOOO good.

So, while mixing this record this week, Danielle Howle came by the studio on Wednesday to sing harmony/background vocal parts on two of the songs. Danielle is an absolute trip and a very cool person, so we had a great time working on her stuff. John Elderkin from The Public Good (another great, smart guy with a terrific vibe) was in town and dropped by the studio for a bit and later on, folk singer/writer Si Kahn came by the studio to borrow a guitar amp from me for some rehearsals for a festival he playing near Staunton, VA this weekend. It was an extremely busy day, full of hang time with extremely cool people.

Also, after the session, I goofed around a bit with my beautiful new drumkit, which made its debut on my jazz trio's gig last night. Been super-stoked about that kit and it sounds and plays GREAT!

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:05 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:garages, a fed them some of your bourbon. it's otherwise untouched though!
Damn, that means we need to get more for the September session.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:06 am

JohnDavisNYC wrote:cooked some gnocci with a 3 mushroom ragout (porcini, crimini, and shitake)
Holy crap, that sounds good! I'm a sucker for good gnocci and meaty mushrooms.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

ulriggribbons
steve albini likes it

Post by ulriggribbons » Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:22 am

I've been living in mono for about a week now (this is a better experience than the last time I lived in mono for more than a week, with a burst ear drum, but that's a different story).

I've a pair of LA3A's from a friend in for repair, one of which makes noise at random. This pair has gone back and forth several times to me and also to another tech, it's kind of like chasing the boogeyman.

So I've the pair across the outputs for a while, with the audio in mono to see how they compare, waiting for the noise. Aside from recapping and making minor adjustments to get the two units as close as possible in sound, here's what I've learned:

1. LA3A's are fun to work on. The top and bottom covers come off, so everything is easy access.

2. T4B's slow down over time. I don't know if the electroluminescent panel loses it's snappiness, or of it's the LDR, but swapping in a NOS T4B makes it way more responsive. So when people talk about the sound of LA3A's or LA2A's, which state are they diggin. Snappy responsive compression, or slow smeared compression?

3. Great records sound just as great in mono. I've been listening to a lot of records this last week( I've just been leaving it on while I work on other things, waiting for it to freak so I can take a look at it), and can't count the number of times I've caught myself digging a record only to stop and say "this is mono!"

Regards

ju

Jacob Bergson
studio intern

Post by Jacob Bergson » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:21 pm

Tracked basics for a band, to TAPE! hoorah!

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:56 pm

Mixing the new Robin McKelle record. I tracked it. People on the record are incredible.
http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_McKelle

Fun sounds. Talented people.

john: your post made me crack up.

Sean Sullivan
moves faders with mind

Post by Sean Sullivan » Sun Aug 07, 2011 7:08 pm

E-mailed new Anna Ternheim album off to Greg Calbi for mastering, prepped Tim O'Brien's family band record for mixing at Dan Auerbach's Easy Eye studio for the next three days.

But, I've mostly been messing around with Pro Tools 9 and packing to move
Still waiting for a Luna reunion

mjau
speech impediment

Post by mjau » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:38 pm

cgarges wrote:
JohnDavisNYC wrote:cooked some gnocci with a 3 mushroom ragout (porcini, crimini, and shitake)
Holy crap, that sounds good! I'm a sucker for good gnocci and meaty mushrooms.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Amen to that. I wish my wife dug shitakes.

Late to the party, but I've been working on a short ep of my own stuff. It's been ages since I worked on something by myself. Shit's hard!

Also been practicing on the upright bass. Got a long-term loaner about a month ago, and wow, it's really, really fun. My intonation's still shaky, but my ear and brain are getting used to helping my hands make quick adjustments.

NewAndImprov
re-cappin' neve

Post by NewAndImprov » Thu Aug 11, 2011 4:15 pm

Missed this thread! Last Thursday, the 4th, was the first session for a possible CD by a latin band I've been playing with for about a year and a half. It's 3 percussionists who rotate between congas, bongos, timbales, cajon, shekere, etc, bass, guitar, and keys (me). Our bandleader, one of the percussionists, just found out he's moving permanently to Brazil, so we are recording all our material to document it, and maybe release it.

Guitarist plays a strat through a very nice Twin, micing it with an SM7 and a Shinybox ribbon. Bass is a modern jazz recorded DI. I'm playing a Kurzwiel SP4 for Rhodes and Wurly, and a Hammond XK-1, both recorded DI but will probably be reamped. Percussion is all close mic'd, and we have some really bizarre room mics one of the percussionists borrowed from his job, they're these holophonic heads with 5 mic elements, they can put out a pre-encoded DTS surround signal, or 5 discreet channels. We're recording them discreet, and probably won't mix in surround, but it was a chance to try them out. So far, they sound really transparent.

We have another session tonight, on my way there momentarily. Will try to take some photos.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:56 pm

Tonight (being Thursday, August 11th), we worked on a new solo performance video for Yvonne Schmidt to support her new record. There will be a series of these coming-up; one or two of those, a little group "unplugged" thing, and something with a live full band...

Tonight we shot and tracked video and audio for "Born Under a Bad Sign," Yvonne on solo electric guitar and vocal. I shot it in B&W with my Canon Vixia HFR10 in 1080p in Cine Mode (approximates 24p frame rate), and the audio was Fender Strat through a Fender Blues Jr. (miked with a 57), with a little touch-up reamping with the "Ampiltube" plug-in (a little grit and some delay). Vocals through a Shinybox ribbon into a DBX pre-amp, with a little reverb, EQ, and compression. All tracked into Sonar Producer 6. The video will be edited in Sony Vegas.

We'll finish it up next week and I'll try to get it posted asap.

GJ
Last edited by Gregg Juke on Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Thu Aug 11, 2011 10:22 pm

Mixing a band I tracked named Throneface. Kinda Mevlinsish inspired 3 piece. Cool stuff

cjogo
re-cappin' neve

Post by cjogo » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:25 pm

whatever happened to ~ just push record......

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Early this morning started mixing an avant garde duo called Castro's Bead. They are a laptop and guitar duo. Lots of drone sound scapes, heavy rock riffs and a spastic track of free drum machine and guitar. Bizarre and cool stuff.

About to start a recording sessiong with a rock group called The City Grimm. Gonna be a late one, 8pm-2am!