FYI: Zoom H1 Users!

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

FYI: Zoom H1 Users!

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm not sure if everybody knows this already, but I didn't, so just in case you hadn't heard...

There is a firmware update available for the Zoom H1. It includes several improvements. It gives some help in retrieving lost files from power loss or crash. Most importantly and most cool-ly, it turns your Zoom H1 into a USB microphone, and a USB audio interface (via the "line-in" jack). Record straight to your DAW! Use a small external mixer into the Zoom, then straight to your laptop! Pretty cool.

Unfortunately, you can't record into the Zoom and use the USB function at the same time, as the unit remains "powered 'off' " in USB mode, but, you can record to the H1 and a separate back-up device at the same time (via the stereo "line-out" jack) with battery-power on. I have used the H1 as a "pass-through" microphone for on-camera audio when shooting video, and I've been messing with recording onto the Zoom unit and my Sony Walkman Pro at the same time; works great.

Anyway, the firmware update is available through a variety of sources on the 'Net; Google "Zoom H1 Firmware Update" or "Zoom H1 Firmware Update 2.0." Or, simply follow the link below to the Zoom Japan site, download, follow instructions, and !Voila! , new USB functionality:

* http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/h1/software/

Enjoy,

GJ