is there a record industry ?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ElectricMess
ass engineer

is there a record industry ?

Post by ElectricMess » Sat Sep 24, 2011 5:35 pm

It's so strange to me that I've been in NYC for a decade now and I really don't know too many people at all who make their living off music. Its like 10,000 people in williamsburg who think they are rockstars or want to be rockstars, but about 5 people actually making a living doing something that resembles rock stardom. We should all get together and be fucking farmers. Cause I'm pretty damn sure we will all go starving soon enough the way things are going.

Even though I personally invest in my own music any chance i get, I see so many bands who either can't afford to invest, or don't see the need to invest in things like
quality recordings, mixed and mastered professionally. The depth and clarity is sorely lacking in recordings of today. We have taken so many steps backwards in the last decade or so.

I am disappointed because I have all the gear needed to professionally record and mix records, but I don't really have any bands that inspire me.

Bro Shark
re-cappin' neve

Re: is there a record industry ?

Post by Bro Shark » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:38 pm

ElectricMess wrote:I am disappointed because I have all the gear needed to professionally record and mix records, but I don't really have any bands that inspire me.
Good luck with that.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:50 pm

Wait--you're in New York City and can't find music that inspires you?

I dunno what to tell you, man. I'm sorry.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

ElectricMess
ass engineer

well just to give you a frame of reference.....

Post by ElectricMess » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:10 am

im not a completely uninspired person. I just want to work with the best. I guess I got spoiled when I spent a month recording Ari Up and the Slits. She died before the material could be released but it was sublime to be working with such a wild genius.

other bands I have recorded that blew me away...screaming females, the pizzas, physical fit, fur cups for teeth
Mama told me not to come

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:18 am

Maybe Williamsburg isn't your vibe anymore? That's okay. I enjoyed living there for quite some time, even if I was turned off by the feeling that some of the most superficial and fashion-focused residents were co-opting the culture I grew up with.

But that's okay: Things change, neighborhoods evolve, all of a sudden people who you think are vain and spoiled people steal your ability to wear your favorite T-Shirt or pair of shoes, or to talk about your favorite band in public without feeling kind of like a tool. Depending on your personality, you could feel like that's been happening for decades or for days.

To be honest, a lot of that stuff is just in our heads. Maybe you're living in a neighborhood that's just not for you right now? The truth is, inspiring bands don't just materialize out of thin air every day. Even the best musicians in the world had to go through long periods of sucking to get their acts together. if you really think the music out there sucks, go make some! The world needs more dedicated and inspired musicians - not more people with rooms full of gear.

I can tell you my head's been a lot clearer since I moved to Park Slope. But there's still something to be said for Williamsburg. If you look past all the contrived fashions and youthful posturing, there are some good people underneath. There always are. There are still some very talented ones too - even if they're hard to find at times. For me, getting some distance was the best thing for it. For others, just lightening up and remembering to be more open is the trick.

Good luck!

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: is there a record industry ?

Post by Nick Sevilla » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:05 am

ElectricMess wrote:It's so strange to me that I've been in NYC for a decade now and I really don't know too many people at all who make their living off music. Its like 10,000 people in williamsburg who think they are rockstars or want to be rockstars, but about 5 people actually making a living doing something that resembles rock stardom. We should all get together and be fucking farmers. Cause I'm pretty damn sure we will all go starving soon enough the way things are going.

Even though I personally invest in my own music any chance i get, I see so many bands who either can't afford to invest, or don't see the need to invest in things like
quality recordings, mixed and mastered professionally. The depth and clarity is sorely lacking in recordings of today. We have taken so many steps backwards in the last decade or so.

I am disappointed because I have all the gear needed to professionally record and mix records, but I don't really have any bands that inspire me.
Welcome to the music industry, early 21st Century.

Two words : Market Yourself.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Tue Oct 04, 2011 5:26 pm

Oooof....