Upgrading iMac; Processor/RAM/HD Needs

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Upgrading iMac; Processor/RAM/HD Needs

Post by pskjr » Mon Nov 18, 2013 10:08 am

Hey all, it's been a while since I've been on here. My trust iMac that I purchased in the fall of 2008 seems to have run its course. Back then the max stats for the 20" were the 2.66 GHz processor and 4 GB RAM. Over the years it has served me well, but it's time to upgrade.

For starters, I pretty much do strictly audio using Logic Pro X, and I also use Melodyne quite a bit. Although, with the new Flex Pitch I may not have to anymore, but I'm sure it's nearly as intensive on the CPU. I do mostly live instrument tracks, and quite often multitrack drums and run a lot of plug-ins and what not.

I also dabble in graphic design with Adobe Illustrator and Photoshop, but nothing too extensive so I'm not too worried about having a computer readied to handle massive projects. I also do not do any video editing or anything like that, but possibly will in the future.

Obviously, regardless of what iMac I decide to get it will be an upgrade, but I'd like to get something that will be good both for now and into the future when I expand and do more.

Right now here's what I'm thinking:

21.5" 3.1 GHz Quad-core i7 processor
16 GB RAM
1 TB Serial ATA Drive

That brings me to a price point of $1,899, and I would like to stay under $2,000

I guess my questions revolve around how to outfit this iMac for the best possible performance at my budget. There are a lot of different options and possibilities that keep me under $2,000, but I'm not sure which would be the best for my needs. Here are some other options.

2.9 GHz Quad-Core i5 processor
16 GB RAM
1 TB Fusion Drive
$1,899

2.9 GHz Quad-Core i5 processor
8 GB RAM
512 GB Flash Storage
$1,999

3.1 GHz Quad-Core i7 processor
8 GB RAM
1 TB Fusion Drive
$1,899

27" 3.2 GHz Quad-Core i5 processor
8 GB RAM
1 TB Fusion Drive
$1,999

So for my needs what are the most important and key components to upgrade? Is it better to have the 16 GB RAM over upgrading the drive? Vice versa? Will upgrading to the i7 really make that much of a difference based on my needs? I'm not too crazy about having a larger display as I don't really feel the need for it personally, but if the RAM isn't as big of an issue and the i5 is fine for my needs I wouldn't mind having the larger screen.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks![/b]
Wait... where do the mics go?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:39 pm

I think if it was me, I'd avoid the fusion drive for audio. Do you understand what the fusion is? It's an SSD that's automatically caching files for faster access than the regular hard drive, mated to a regular hard drive. They really make a difference with lots of tiny static files, but could actually slow you down when trying to write gig upon gig of information in real time.

Either get a normal drive or fusion for the internal (OS and Apps - what it was designed for) and an external 7200 rpm for just audio. From the way you record it sounds like CPU and RAM will help you the most. It seems like most USB 3 (or whatever) modern Hard Drives can handle 20-30 tracks of concurrent IO without cracking a sweat these days.

Found this for you: https://discussions.apple.com/message/22281950#22281950

ck
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

chorga1
pushin' record

Post by chorga1 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 3:10 pm

Get the i7.

8GB of ram should be plenty unless your using really large sample libraries.

pskjr
gettin' sounds

Post by pskjr » Thu Nov 21, 2013 7:09 pm

Awesome, thank you guys so much for the replies! I understood what the fusion drive was described as, but wasn't sure how that would react with audio files and recording.

Will be sure to upgrade the RAM and CPU first. Thanks again!
Wait... where do the mics go?