The Future Engineer - Observations

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

The Future Engineer - Observations

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:18 am

I was recently talking with an acquaintance who is going to a university to study recording and something else. I had, in the past, suggested they consider getting involved as an intern at a studio and study their other major at school. I would have helped them attain the internship too. But that advice fell on deaf ears...

I am curious to see how things work out for this person. Knowing how many new young people are seeking engineering jobs, studio closings, and just the general economy, I believe this persons other major will be of more use. This person also asked me if I thought they should open up a studio after their schooling was complete. I informed him it would probably be best if they seek an internship at a good studio after graduating. But they informed me there is "something like an 85% job placement so no need, they will have an engineering job." I told him every single person whom I know who has a degree in audio engineering either works at a music store or had to work as an intern. (I didn't want to be a total jackass and tell him hacked software and Fruity Loops isn't going to probably take him very far anyway if he were to start his own studio up.)

But usually when this person and I have chatted, he is also fairly busy on his iPhone texting away and on FB. I wonder how this may affect his working with musicians in the studio...I see this a lot as I'm sure many of us do.
White Oak Guitars - Fine boutique handmade guitar & bass pickups

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:41 am

Ummm, like, what were you saying? (digits furiously flying over cellphone keypad, while scanning additional laptop on the right for new Twitter posts)...

GJ

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:37 pm

LOL yeah actually that is not far off AT ALL! :lol:

trevord
gettin' sounds

Post by trevord » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:52 pm

lol
but why the hating on fruity loops?
if you are giving advice - remember its only a tool...
you should be impressing on this kid that its the man not the tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFXeChXfcI

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:59 pm

Going to school for recording is all fun and games until you realize you're either working for free/next to it or at a music store, and you still have to pay for it. Ask what his salary expectations are, and future goals (owning a house, being married, etc) and add those and the hidden expenses for him, and reality in getting an engineering job. Bruise his ego a bit but he'll be smarter in the long run. Life is expensive, after all, which is maybe something I wish my parents would have given me better perspective on when I was a teenager.

I went to school for recording, but living with my parents and taking unpaid internships were not life goals of mine (but yes I have done the unpaid internship thing) so I learned another trade for my day job so I could afford to advance myself in engineering to meet my goals, and gradually turn it into a business...all the while accruing other life goals like a house, marriage, decent gear...etc.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:36 pm

trevord wrote:lol
but why the hating on fruity loops?
if you are giving advice - remember its only a tool...
you should be impressing on this kid that its the man not the tool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCFXeChXfcI

I fucking hate Fruity Loops but my drummer has sold millions of records and swears by it. Go figure.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:45 pm

My advice to just about anybody would be "go to school for real engineering (EE or CS) or business, you can learn the other stuff much better in the real world". And yes, I'd be very heavy-handed about it. "If you want to make money recording, open a recording school and you'll have plenty of suckers lined up".

Have them talk on the phone to anybody who can do the Heavy Biker Voice, and have that guy tell them that "all the kids from the audio school totally sucked, and I kicked their asses before I fired them".

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Fri Oct 07, 2011 9:14 am

I really don't have a bias towards or against Fruity Loops. I haven't much use for it so I don't use it. But what do I know, I still use tape!

He's a bright kid. I think he'll be in for a bit of a reality check but don't we all at some point! :shock:

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:48 am

There are certain schools that would get me to pay more attention to someone's resume than others, but not many. Some school have great programs that would totally give their students an edge over people without a formal education. Still, when considering interns, I ALWAYS have a meeting first to gauge their true interest, enthusiasm, and general demeanor. Someone who spends the entire lunch texting away or not paying attention doesn't get an invitation to the studio.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

TV Lenny
buyin' gear

Post by TV Lenny » Mon Oct 10, 2011 7:04 am

I have nothing against schools. However, I think for audio engineering the internship, with perhaps some textbook work included, is more beneficial to the student in attaining a well rounded education. I know personally working along side someone with 20+ years of real experience in engineering and producing taught me far more than my textbook work.

I also wonder how if at all "virtual socializing" will affect newcomers to the audio field in dealing directly with clients. Will they have any difficulty in talking one-on-one with an artist? How will/have their social skills been affected, if at all? I don't know. I just hope when taking notes, they spell properly! :roll:

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 9:31 am

A lot of people think the college degree is the new high school diploma, so it's probably not a terrible idea to get one. Unless you're jumping directly into paid work in a field you love right out of high school, taking the time to go to a 4 (or at least 2) year program is probably advisable. Especially in an economy like this one.

When else would you have the chance to spend all that time hanging out with young people who are into music, not having a million obligations, and getting to dedicate ample time to your craft (if you're one of the smart ones).

I had to work my way through college, which meant no unpaid internships for me, but ce la vie. If you can get one, grab one! I would have if I could have. No matter what, you can make the most of it if you're so inclined. And don't underestimate state schools! Especially if you're self-motivated and/or live in New York.

Good luck! And today's economy, be sure to specialize in two trades, not just one. Chances are, the money will be where they meet.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:41 am

TV Lenny wrote:I also wonder how if at all "virtual socializing" will affect newcomers to the audio field in dealing directly with clients. Will they have any difficulty in talking one-on-one with an artist?
Yes. And, a dentist. And, a plumber. And, the guy at the register at the coffee shop...
TV Lenny wrote:How will/have their social skills been affected, if at all?
They'll be less intimidated by approaching an "acquaintance", because they're armed with a little bit of knowledge about the person. But, in straight up face-to-face conversation, they'll be less successful because of the internet.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:41 am

Oh, and they definitely won't ever spell anything rite.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:42 am

fossiltooth wrote:When else would you have the chance to spend all that time hanging out with young people who are into music, not having a million obligations, and getting to dedicate ample time to your craft (if you're one of the smart ones).
dude... if I could be a full-time student, studying ANYTHING, I'd jump at the opportunity!

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:21 pm

chris harris wrote:
fossiltooth wrote:When else would you have the chance to spend all that time hanging out with young people who are into music, not having a million obligations, and getting to dedicate ample time to your craft (if you're one of the smart ones).
dude... if I could be a full-time student, studying ANYTHING, I'd jump at the opportunity!
Me too! But in the interest of not discouraging kids who don't have that opportunity, I want to repeat that I had to work my way through state college and that was a pretty okay deal too.

Maybe someday, all Americans can get a higher education as a birthright like they do in the rest of the civilized world. Until then, there are still ways to make the most of the situation.