Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:03 pm

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:i got it.
:wink:
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

blungo2
re-cappin' neve

Post by blungo2 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:33 pm

fossiltooth wrote: Better yet, curious parties on either side of the debate can go to one of the many demonstrations in a city near them, and ask around for themselves.
Ugh. I wish, there ain't no protests in the high cold desert where i live...

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 12, 2011 12:29 am

dwlb wrote:Please move this thread to off-topic.
I was kind of thinking the same thing.

I guess since Larry's posted, it's okay. :wink:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:25 am

cgarges wrote:

Eh... he's probably gotten an infraction or two for it.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:37 am

cgarges wrote:

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC
Oooooh, oooooh!!!! Someone else didn't get the joke! My response now has a reason to exist!!!!!
chris harris wrote: Alternative suggestion: don't click it. Exercise your freedoms!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:15 am

chris harris wrote:Oooooh, oooooh!!!! Someone else didn't get the joke! My response now has a reason to exist!!!!!
Speaking of not getting the joke...

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

DrummerMan
george martin

Post by DrummerMan » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:31 am

cgarges wrote:
FWIW, +3, or whatever number we're at.

...with full understanding that I get the joke.
Geoff Mann
composer | drummer | Los Angeles, CA

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 am

damnit!!!!

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:42 am

NOW this is getting funny!

CG

jkelly222
gettin' sounds

Post by jkelly222 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:33 am

Of course there are the social media sites for discussions about this stuff but I was curious how some Tape Op folks may feel (or not feel for that matter).

I've spent a ton of time at the protest (employed & very busy too). I make may way there when I can. I think most of the people sleeping over night are there for maybe a day or two and then they go back with they can. Also there are people from across the country making trips to New York to camp out. There of course are a handful of unemployed folks too. It's far to diverse of a crowd to sum up, that's really what it comes down to.

Also Fossiltooth, there's only a few thousand threads about microphones and junk, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for you to find a place to talk about that stuff. You do in fact, have the freedom to choose what you click on.

Now I feel like dick for assuming something interesting might come from this. I guess there's still hope.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:14 pm

Let's occupy the TOMB!!!

(Oh wait, we're already kindof doing that.)

Garges, you're a moderator, why aren't you locking this mofo before it becomes a movement?! We could wind up with OT threads that don't go away, especially with hard times hitting the recording industry.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:27 pm

psst: Gearslutz is secretly funded by the Koch brothers.

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:38 pm

jkelly222 wrote:Of course there are the social media sites for discussions about this stuff but I was curious how some Tape Op folks may feel (or not feel for that matter).

Also Fossiltooth, there's only a few thousand threads about microphones and junk, I'm sure it wouldn't take long for you to find a place to talk about that stuff. You do in fact, have the freedom to choose what you click on.

Now I feel like dick for assuming something interesting might come from this. I guess there's still hope.
To reply in all seriousness for a moment: the good folks who run TOMB made a decision --a somewhat hotly debated and varyingly popular decision-- to do away with the Off-Topic area of this messageboard a few years ago. Regardless of how we all feel about it (and me, I'm fine with it), the intent of this place is that it be thousands of threads about microphones and junk, not threads about politics or Doctor Who or football.

So I get where you're coming from, and I hope I'm not coming across like a dick. But if you're not getting the conversation you're looking for on this thread, this may be why.

Peace.

percussion boy
carpal tunnel

Post by percussion boy » Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:03 pm

A quick +1 to the various on-topic posts, before this thread gets locked. Gotta share the wealth (which also means some kind of health care safety net, and incentives to keep skilled blue collar jobs in the country) -- neglect this stuff and it always pulls everything down sooner or later.

--including the recording and musician business. Think it will be easier to find someone to keep manufacturing tape or buy your album if the economy stays down?

So maybe it's not off-topic. But I'll shut up.

Brandy and cigars in the library?
"The world don't need no more songs." - Bob Dylan

"Why does the Creator send me such knuckleheads?" - Sun Ra

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:29 am

dwlb wrote:
jkelly222 wrote:Of course there are the social media sites for discussions about this stuff but I was curious how some Tape Op folks may feel (or not feel for that matter).

To reply in all seriousness for a moment: the good folks who run TOMB made a decision --a somewhat hotly debated and varyingly popular decision-- to do away with the Off-Topic area of this messageboard a few years ago. Regardless of how we all feel about it (and me, I'm fine with it), the intent of this place is that it be thousands of threads about microphones and junk, not threads about politics or Doctor Who or football.

So I get where you're coming from, and I hope I'm not coming across like a dick. But if you're not getting the conversation you're looking for on this thread, this may be why.

Peace.
Must do it.... Cant resist.... May get banned....

Boobs

whew I feel better...
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity