Feedback on the current issue, ideas for articles, questions about Tape Op

Moderators: TapeOpJohn, TapeOpLarry

austin
takin' a dinner break

Post by austin » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 am

Has everyone received their copy of issue 86 already? Anyone else still waiting?

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:24 pm

I'm still waiting. I got my renewal email on 12/2 took care of it right away, but I have the sinking feeling I'm not going to get it which really bums me out.

I hate the damn renewal email. Larry, why don't you guys send the renewal email BEFORE you send our last issue? I appreciate TapeOp, the magazine is my favorite read, the message board is my favorite message board. I appreciate that Larry and the crew don't make any money off of any of it and that it's a ton of work.

But I REALLY hate missing an issue.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:32 pm

If you don't receive an issue re-subscribe. If you're really antsy about missing issues get a paid subscription. I'm not sure what else to say...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

E-money
pushin' record

Post by E-money » Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:23 pm

If you don't receive an issue re-subscribe.
But by then it's too late, you've already missed the issue.

I'm sure I'm not the only one here that goes through this, you get the renewal notification AFTER your last issue and inevitably end up missing one.

Maybe I'll set a calendar notification to renew once a month.
"Politics are like sports, where all the teams suck"

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Thu Dec 08, 2011 6:48 pm

Actually the 2nd post was a good idea. We are changing our system so the renewal goes out 15 days before the next issue you will receive not after. As it was you had one month to renew, so it should have worked anyway. Dave Middleton has been working hard on building us a better database for the mag and hopefully more reliable mailing and subs will result.

But at some point I just feel like throwing my hands up. I get emails daily complaining about missed issues and subscription problems and probably 90% are due to spam filters, people changing email addresses, people sending in change of address cards from the post office (I'm not sure those get entered, and if so by who?), and various other little things. Obviously the other tens of thousands make it to the readers. And the most amazing thing that is 85% of the emails complaining about this don't even send me their mailing address, let alone the fact that we have another clearly defined feedback form (http://www.tapeop.com/subscriptions/feedback/) that people are supposed to use for sending these requests to. Nope. Instead they send an email blast to everyone else listed on the website or in the masthead. Great. That really helps us work efficiently.

And really, it is being sent for FREE via the USPS's apparently most unreliable service. If you miss an issue and are really upset then buy one through goodmtn.com or get a paid subscription there. A paid sub guarantees a magazine. Even if the postman steals it.

Okay, how was that for "corporate transparency." Probably more than anyone wanted to know...
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

winky dinglehoffer
buyin' a studio

Post by winky dinglehoffer » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:50 pm

My new issue just arrived today, so there's hope for those who haven't received it yet.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:07 pm

Just got mine yesterday. The last one took a long-ass time, but like Larry says, it's free and it's coming all the way across the couhtry via USPS.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

orion studio rotherham
audio school

Post by orion studio rotherham » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:26 pm

Has Issue 86 gone out in the uk yet? Missing my tape op fix.

mscottweber
pushin' record

Post by mscottweber » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:17 am

I think that because Tape Op mag is such a wonderful and beloved thing, people feel like if they miss an issue, they are missing out on something special and possibly life-changing. I can relate to that. I have missed issues before (worth noting that it was my own fault for not updating my address when I moved) and I was pretty bummed out about it.

I just got the latest one yesterday. I noticed on the bottom corner it said "US $5.00" Since I certainly did NOT pay that for the mag, I do not feel like I have the right to complain about anything.

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:02 am

great issue
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:47 pm

haven't gotten mine yet, biting the bullet and paying for a subscription, i gotta have these mags.

also hey the store is cool, get a book of the first run of issues and a cool shirt :) now just to make sure the wife doesn't find out i spent all this money ;)

numberthirty
steve albini likes it

Post by numberthirty » Tue Feb 21, 2012 5:44 pm

It's also worth pointing out that the post office is having to make cuts just to stay in the hole. I'd imagine service will not be getting better.

markjazzbassist
tinnitus

Post by markjazzbassist » Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:40 pm

dang already got my tshirt and back order issues in the mail. that was quick, i like being on the "paid for" list :)

also in my back ordering i got this issue, i'm really enjoying it. great stuff