Somato MP3

Somato
audio school

Somato MP3

Post by Somato » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:12 am

Check out this new MP3, "Manhattan Bitch", from the Brooklyn-based Somato. There are other, older MP3's on this page, too, but the newer song sounds the best...

http://www.toneroom.com/mp3s.asp

zoetrope
pushin' record

Re: Somato MP3

Post by zoetrope » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:20 am

I like the opening ear candy, and I like the way it comes back in during instrumental part. Nice clean recording and well balanced mix. The guitar following the vocals is a nice touch. How did you do the doubling on the lead vocals, is it a slap back delay? sounds just right. Also, the tingly glochenspiel bits add a nice sparkle on top, sort of Velvet Underground-ish.

Somato
audio school

Post by Somato » Mon Jun 02, 2003 7:29 am

The vocals are doubled, with backing harmonies. At the end, there's an echoplex applied to them, but during the body of the song, there is only very slight reverb.

Eric Rottmayer
pushin' record

Post by Eric Rottmayer » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:30 pm

that sounds great! i like the wide stereo image. nice break down of parts
and thick guitar tones. i like it. rock on.

eric

DeafinONEear
steve albini likes it

Post by DeafinONEear » Mon Jun 02, 2003 2:47 pm

I agree-- sounds great.... you're bit heavy on the left on lapse of judgement though... I think it might just be the clicky sound... and thet might have very well been what you were going for.

Thanks for puuting this stuff up in 256. It's slower, but damn I wish this was the standard. I can't stand hearing HF loss and cymbols and vox that have been tranpled by data compression!

Somato
audio school

Post by Somato » Tue Jun 03, 2003 1:28 pm

Glad you guys like it. Yeah, the older stuff is just that-- not bad, but stuff I did from college when I was still learning (not that I'm not still learning). I am most excited about the new stuff ("Manhattan Bitch"), and I will put up more MP3's from the new record as the mixes come together...

BTW, that clicking in "Lapse" may very well be off-balance-- haven't listened to it in a long time, to be honest. I sampled a Zippo for that one.