Help me choose an appropriate reverb unit

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

substitute
pushin' record

Help me choose an appropriate reverb unit

Post by substitute » Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:29 am

Hi folks,
I'm shopping for a hardware reverb unit, I've been poking around the various "best reverb" threads. My issue is I'm not really sure what my budget should be. I have a small-ish collection of fairly nice gear...

-mics, peluso 2247, beyer ribbons, and a few studio work horses.
-pre's, drip Redd 47, telefunken v676
-out board, drip la2a, group DIY 2254, Gpultec

So, IMHO I have a pretty good bang for the buck signal chain but it's not like neuman or elam mics, DW Fearn pre's, Thermionic culture level of gear. So, I'd like to pick up a reverb unit that can "keep up" with the resy of the signal chain so to speak, if that makes sense.

I'm looking at...
On the under $500 side: Sony R7, Ibanez SDR 1000, various Lexicons, Roland SPX line.

On the under $1000 side: Eventide h3000, Roland R880, nicer lexicons.

So my question is, given the other gear I have, what units or pricerange would be appropriate? I'm ok with spending up to $1000, but I don't need the reverb to be my nicest piece I just don't want it to be the weakest link either.

Thanks!

losthighway
resurrected

Post by losthighway » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:30 am

I'm in a similar boat and I've been looking pretty hard at picking up a used TC Electronic M2000.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:03 am

Well, I've got lots of units, all have their charms and all do different things, and they were all at different price points, both new and used. So, the standard "it depends" TOMB answer applies. Plus, I'm a bit of a low budget--> mid-priced vintage equipment and microphone junky, so maybe you don't need a bunch of stuff, I don't know...

How about something like the Lexicon MPX100?:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/aug98/a ... xicon.html

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=Le ... 6QGMj_3zBg

We really like ours, and it is a quality name that makes quality gear. However, it is discontinued and you can probably find a bunch of these at a very reasonable price on ebay.

I've never owned an SPX (Roland), but I remember that they were always very cool for the cash back in the day...

GJ

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:31 am

I have a Lexicon MX400.

It is good, and can be controlled via a "plugin" within your DAW.

Cheers
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

rhythm ranch
mixes from purgatory

Post by rhythm ranch » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:56 am

My recommendations for less than $500 would include:
TC Electronic M2000
Roland SRV-330
Sony R7

$1000 range: thumbs up on substitute's original list. :^:

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:57 am

Nick Sevilla wrote:I have a Lexicon MX400.

It is good, and can be controlled via a "plugin" within your DAW.

Cheers
Tell me more.

Mac and PC? How is the integration as an AU plug-in running under Lion?

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:11 am

perhaps the ensoniq dp/2 or dp/4. then get a stereo spring reverb unit. Vestafire made some spring reverbs that are particularly nice.

passnthru
pluggin' in mics

Post by passnthru » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:16 am

If you are considering the R7 at under $500 I think you should jump over to the v77. All the best of the R7, D7, M7 and more. Makes the rest look less pro. Pls Digital I/O if you want it.
I think the SPX990 is the best of the Yamaha SPX series but I wouldn't claim it as remarkable just a solid workhorse.
The SRV's are Roland's and lovely. If you are just learning the ins and outs of verb I love the SRV2000 (the first one) as everything is on the front panel.
jp
Now, tell me why did I do that?

substitute
pushin' record

Post by substitute » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:21 am

awesome thanks for the advice, I think in my mind I was like, "I should get a reverb unit, I should find a good one and that'll be that" but it seems like a lot folks go for variety.

There's a used mpx100 at a samash near me that's really cheap. I'm really split on the r880, people like it, it seems fancy and sexy and different but that interface seems like a lot. I love tweaking but I don't think I need reverb to have a steep learning curve.

oh, gear...

jnorman34
audio school graduate

Post by jnorman34 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:33 am

why hardware? in this price range, i really believe plugins will give you better results. how about altiverb with their amazing collection of real-space IRs? or EW Spaces - also a great convolution verb. if convo is not your thing, try the demo of Flux Verb Session - it is extremely good for only a couple hundred.

i have owned lex pcm91, and each of the software choices i listed above seem much better to me. the lowest things i might consider for hardware would include the TC3000/4000, older lexicon 300 (NOT the Mx300), and a couple others. the best hardware verb out there is the bricasti m7.
jnorman34
sunridge studios
salem, oregon

substitute
pushin' record

Post by substitute » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:32 pm

I just don't really like plugins, I think they sound great I just don't like the act of using software very much.
So to hopefully better explain my predicament...
Tracking to an Otari Mx5050, through the above mentioned gear, mixing through a really strange piece... it's this korean clone of a studer 269. Currently I just do basics to tape, transfer to PT and mix ITB, but I'd like to move away from that (having just got the mixer).
The Bricasti is out of my league, but the PCM lexicon's for instance aren't. There's quite a few unit's that get the "sounds great for $200" kind of praise, what I'm wondering is if there's a significant difference between an $800 studio classic and a $200 overlooked gem.
I'm not sure I'm making a ton of sense, is that clear at all?

drumsound
zen recordist

Post by drumsound » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:36 pm

I've heard a lot of good things about the Sony, I think Garges may have one (or three?). The H3000 is a great piece of gear, and there are a few cool reverbs in there, but I used it for other effects more often. I really love my TC M3000 and I'm pretty sure they are in the $1k or less range these days. The reverbs sound really nice and the interface is really easy to navigate. It has digital I/O if you're using a DAW with digital I/O.

telepathy
pushin' record

Post by telepathy » Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:55 pm

you need the Demeter spring reverb.
get up with it

substitute
pushin' record

Post by substitute » Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:12 pm

you need the Demeter spring reverb.
I forgot about those! Does it get boingy on drums?

substitute
pushin' record

Post by substitute » Wed Apr 25, 2012 7:32 pm

perhaps the ensoniq dp/2 or dp/4
I missed a few replies, I was curious about these, there's one on ebay but I have no idea what a fair, or average price would be. In general i'm all about the dark horse candidates, but I've been thinking that an advantage to something like a pcm lex or eventide is that they've already dropped (from they're original price) and risen back up to a perhaps stable "studio classic" value.

[/quote]