Teac 3340 + Signal Strength / Buildup

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Teac 3340 + Signal Strength / Buildup

Post by UnlikeKurt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:25 pm

Hi all.

I have question about my Teach 3340. I'm recording with Ampex 456. The type with the backcoating on the non record side. The problem i'm having is that after a few passes through the tape heads I seem to lose all signal strength to channels 3 and 4. There doesn't appear to be any shedding going on as far as i can see with my eyes. and channels 1 and 2 record at the same strength.
If I then clean the heads it appears that channels 3 and 4 come back, but not for as long as i would like before they die down again. any advice?

thanks
james

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sun Apr 22, 2012 1:49 pm

Have you demagnetized?

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:18 pm

thanks for the response . no i have not demagnetized
. and that hasn't been done in a while i dont think. since it was last serviced. i'm not sure exactly how to do it. can you provide a resource?

UnlikeKurt
pushin' record

Post by UnlikeKurt » Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:15 am

I have demagnetized the heads. This did not amend the problem.
After demagnetizing, I applied a test tone to channels 3 and 4 and recorded. Monitoring of the record head the VU meter started at 0 and when the counter on the tape deck reached 30 the signal strength began to gradually decline until it was but a mere haze.
At that point, i created some slack in the tape and cleaned the heads with the tape at the same location. I did not notice anything coming off onto the q-tips (nor did i at the original cleaning). i then started the machine up again and was once again able to register some signal but it died off again and much more rapidly than it had at first.
Any ideas?

E.Bennett
re-cappin' neve

Post by E.Bennett » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:11 pm

I would try checking how it responds with fresh tape. What does the wear pattern on the heads look like? perhaps it's time for a relap and a tension/tape path adjustment.