Interview with Larry

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

adamgonsa
audio school

Interview with Larry

Post by adamgonsa » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:31 am

Hi TOMBers, nice board you've got here!

There's a new interview with Larry on my podcast focusing on the benefits of a good working relationship between mixing and mastering engineers. The show is mastering focused, but we also critique a mix and discus why the "fix it in the mix" mentality is problematic.

Do you prefer to assemble a good team of engineers when making a record, or handle as much as you can by yourselves and only seek help when you have to?
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:30 am

>>>>Do you prefer to assemble a good team of engineers when making a record, or handle as much as you can by yourselves and only seek help when you have to?<<<<

The former is prefered. The latter is often necessary or expedient based on budget, time constraints, and other factors. We have "done it all" out of necessity, but we are working towards making solid/permanent relationships with competent mastering engineers more the norm... At no time that I can currently envision or imagine would a "mix engineer" be a part of that equation however-- _we mix_ what we produce and engineer.

GJ

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:34 am

very cool
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Re: Interview with Larry

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 pm

good interview!
adamgonsa wrote:Do you prefer to assemble a good team of engineers when making a record, or handle as much as you can by yourselves and only seek help when you have to?
pretty much all i do these days is master...but in the past, if i tracked it, i want to mix it. i DON'T want to be the one to master it.

adamgonsa
audio school

Post by adamgonsa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:44 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:good interview!
Thanks!
MoreSpaceEcho wrote:...but in the past, if i tracked it, i want to mix it.
As an engineer or for your own music?
Gregg Juke wrote:At no time that I can currently envision or imagine would a "mix engineer" be a part of that equation however-- _we mix_ what we produce and engineer.
I understand; that's the approach for a lot of artists. The potential benefits are obvious. What do you think about the points Larry brought up in the interview? Specifically that while digital affords the possibility of extensive tweaking often people don't give themselves enough time to do a good job, and that working with someone who mixes all the time can lead to objectively stronger mixes?

I'm just curious, not at all implying that there is anything wrong with your work!
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:56 am

I couldn't download the podacst yesterday. I will try again.

I have been producing other artists and myself for a long time. Believe me, with my own music, "rushing through" is not the issue! Too much time, or not enough due to other projects and responsibilities often is the problem.

As to mixing-- Before the "superstar mixers," it was just part of the job. And I like it, and think that I'll make the best decisions on my projects, so why farm it out, at added expense? That's like telling a painter to "sketch the line drawing, and mix the colors, but we'll put it together correctly for you."*

GJ

*PS-- I know there are some forms of art (like comics and graphic novels) that actually work exactly this way. I just don't think that that's an appropriate analog with regards to music.

kingtoad
pushin' record

Post by kingtoad » Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:22 am

Wow, there's a mastering podcast with 32 episodes already recorded? Amazing, can't wait to delve into it.

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:19 am

adamgonsa wrote:As an engineer or for your own music?
both. for my own stuff, i've always mixed it. for other people i've recorded, i TRY to mix it. doesn't always happen, for various reasons.

adamgonsa
audio school

Post by adamgonsa » Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:27 pm

Gregg Juke wrote:As to mixing-- Before the "superstar mixers," it was just part of the job. And I like it, and think that I'll make the best decisions on my projects, so why farm it out, at added expense? That's like telling a painter to "sketch the line drawing, and mix the colors, but we'll put it together correctly for you."
Fair enough.
kingtoad wrote:Wow, there's a mastering podcast with 32 episodes already recorded? Amazing, can't wait to delve into it.
New episodes go up every other Tuesday. Enjoy!
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:37 am

Being skeptical about the benefits of hiring a "superstar mixer" is fine. I've always been a little miffed by the tiny cabal of elite coastal "mixer dudes" who can have a homogenizing effect on music when labels rely on them too much.

That said, mixing is a lot like playing an instrument - it's a special talent, and it takes a lot of practice to do well.

Plenty of specialized mixers bring a lot to the table. Give your record to a Scott Solter or a John Goodmanson, a Larry Crane or a Chris Shaw, a Dave Fridmann or a Joel Hamilton, and it will come back sounding different than it would have otherwise. If you pick someone whose work you enjoy, and who understands the aesthetic you're going for, it can be an amazing collaboration.

Should you mix your own records? At the heart of it, the question is no different than "should you play pedal steel guitar on your own records?". Maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends on where your talents and your expertise lie. Definitely don't rule it out - especially if you've never finished any mixes that you blew yourself away with.
Last edited by fossiltooth on Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:40 am

Also: Neat interview, thanks for sharing.

adamgonsa
audio school

Post by adamgonsa » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:53 pm

fossiltooth wrote:That said, mixing is a lot like playing an instrument - it's a special talent, and it takes a lot of practice to do well.

Plenty of specialized mixers bring a lot to the table. Give your record to a Scott Solter or a John Goodmanson, a Larry Crane or a Chris Shaw, a Dave Fridmann or a Joel Hamilton, and it will come back sounding different than it would have otherwise. If you pick someone whose work you enjoy, and who understands the aesthetic you're going for, it can be an amazing collaboration.
This is what I was trying to get at in the interview. If you work with someone who does this all the time they're going to bring seriously beneficial skills and experience to the table. A specialized professional will not only have an objective approach to your music, which can make a huge difference, they'll also bring talent honed through lots of practice. That can be immensely valuable.

For me the "superstar mixer" thing is a little silly. The point isn't to gather a credit list of brand names like you're collecting rare dunks. The point is to do whatever you can to make your record sound it's best. Often working with a practiced & experienced engineer can help.
fossiltooth wrote:Should you mix your own records? At the heart of it, the question is no different than "should you play pedal steel guitar on your own records?". Maybe yes, maybe no. It all depends on where your talents and your expertise lie. Definitely don't rule it out - especially if you've never finished any mixes that you blew yourself away with.
Totally agree. Every project is different. I just think that because it's possible for a band to handle it themselves doesn't necessarily make it a good idea. People should be honest about their strengths and where they need help.

Glad you liked the interview!
Adam Gonsalves
Telegraph Mastering