just moved to portland OR!!

Regional activities, relevant news, job openings, studio searches, local beer nights (not a forum to plug the new album you just worked on)

Moderator: drumsound

Tims96
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Tims96 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:46 am

Hang in there man. I'm a bit late to this post, so hopefully things are looking up for you by now. I was in a similar situation when I first moved here almost a year ago. On Craigslist every day looking for work, getting depressed at all the jobs I was qualified for (even OVER-qualified for in some instances) that turned me down. But eventually I found something, and so will you if you haven't already.

The good news is that Portland is a relatively affordable city for how awesome it is. Depending on your tastes and spending habits, you can probably work part time at a day job, work on music the rest of the time, and still be able to go out to catch some shows.

As was already mentioned, the music scene here is pretty incestuous. But once you find your crew of like-minded musicians, you'll really dig it. It's a really supportive and tight knit community unlike any other I've ever experienced.

Plus summer is coming, which is just the best here.

hyphen nation
audio school

Post by hyphen nation » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:42 am

Do you know anyone? it's definitely a word of mouth/jobs through friends kind of place...

It is a HARD town to break into. I lucked out with a Powell's job [knew someone there] for a short time, moved away, came back, and Powell's wouldn't hire me back...figured my two years of experience would have helped, but no...I think that contractors are starting to pick back up...maybe try to connect with some of the local builders for an apprentice ship? Best thing I ever did was a 3 month internship [animation place]...and have been working steady ever since.

How about getting a degree at PSU? Become a resident for in state tuition, you will find a crew of folks to network with, etc...it's becoming a great school as well. Student loan debt blows, but it does open doors...