AKG BRASS CAPSULE THIEF

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

stylus flanger
alignin' 24-trk

AKG BRASS CAPSULE THIEF

Post by stylus flanger » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:35 pm

ok, i have discovered that a musically inept a**h*** yet now successful producer whom i have always personally hated is guilty of swapping my akg brass capsule for a damaged one. he is ALMOST always considered one of the sweethearts of tape-op, although a few of you know better (they absolutely pee themselves at gears**tz over this guy.) i say ALMOST because, in a fit of rage i actually typed "[name of said a**h***] is an a**h***" into google and got a direct hit.

i am asking the tape-op community for healthy suggestions on how to rectify this situation. i will gleefully answer any questions with brutal honesty, with the exception of divulging his name.

i will indulge suggestions of violence only as fantasy; it is sadly not an option.

i also ask to hear similar stories and remedies.

-thanks.

RodC
dead but not forgotten

Post by RodC » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:46 pm

I would prob confront the dude, and not duke it out on the interweb.
'Well, I've been to one world fair, a picnic, and a rodeo, and that's the stupidest thing I ever heard come over a set of earphones'

http://www.beyondsanityproductions.com
http://www.myspace.com/beyondsanity

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Jan 22, 2012 5:53 pm

I'd deal with it right away. I'll explain why in a long, drawn-out post that uses the adjective "famous" a lot.

Back in the 80's and 90's, we had a rash of famous and semi-famous 60's/70's British musicians move into the area for a few minutes... People you would know if you know people that were in "the cute Beatles'" later band, or were part of a very famous power trio that was named after a milky-concoction often used in coffee... Another was a roadie turned soundman turned producer that had worked with a guy that said goodbye to the yellow brick road at one time.

This was due to a connection with a famous author that is from the area, who has written several major best-sellers about the Fab Four.

In any event, this one particular famous Brit (not one of the Fabs, but he did have some kind of wings) did a lot of work at a local studio that I spent a lot of time in, doing session work, learning a lot about the craft, and hanging with buds at the time who were the chief engineer and others that worked in the duping room. This place had its issues, but it had (and may still have) the greatest collection of upscale microphones around.

Anyway, this guy did some projects at this studio, sold a lot of people a bill of goods, and then took-off to the southern states with some microphones and a dat machine that as far as I know were never returned. Likewise, the large bill for studio time was never paid.

I think folks were afraid to confront this famous guy for some reason, so he felt entitled, and probably repeated the pattern wherever he went.

If you can prove it in some way, I'd address it asap, before you lose the opportunity.

GJ
===============================
Detective Inspector: "I've got a plan..."
John: "He's got a plan... a very famous plan."

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:14 pm

Just out of curiosity, how did this happen? AKG has been sort of notorious for swapping out vintage capsules in 414EBs they get in for repair.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:56 am

Can we turn this into a game of Clue? "Joel Hamilton in the Green Room with the Candelabra?"
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:54 am

I would like to know how/why he would be considered "musically inept?"

You know we're all trying names in Google with the operative phrase... I've tried BV, SA, and TB, and apparently, it isn't any of them (no direct hits on the operative phrase).

GJ

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:04 pm

joelpatterson wrote:Can we turn this into a game of Clue? "Joel Hamilton in the Green Room with the Candelabra?"
I am curious....

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:03 pm

Not that I can prove anything... but an alibi wouldn't be a bad idea, my friend...
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:02 am

Oooohh... I think I figured it out.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:47 am

Aaaawwww, man.

GJ

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:59 am

I like a game of Clue!

googling, music producer "is an asshole", gets a cuppla names ...

That's too bad.

I agree with Mr. Juke (interesting stories there, also), move quickly, but only if you have proof.

If you do have proof, a demand letter by an att'y for return of the item, otherwise to be filed by suit, would seem appropriate. Be advised that if you threaten suit, you should follow up with one to avoid potential slander/libel and even abuse of process claims against you.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:05 pm

;I wonder; what kind of AKG microphone it was-- a 414, C12, or a CK12; if it?s jack;ed-up to begin with, and was it silver, black or; white?;

;GJ;

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Jan 24, 2012 4:24 pm

Silver, blue and gold-- the colors of the sky, I'm told.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

stylus flanger
alignin' 24-trk

Post by stylus flanger » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:03 pm

silver c414. sn 17xx. 10db pad, no hp/lp filters. this happened over 15 years ago when i didn't even know what a brass capsule was all about. it was replaced with a DIFFERENT brass capsule. i can't prove anything, but it is just now that i've discovered this. this would have happened at the only time that the mic was not in my sole custody. to make matters worse, his band reneged on the final 3 weeks of a six week lockout after we had displaced our good, steady clients. that's when i split. i think my partner at the time was enamored by the fact that this group had a record deal. they really needed to practice, too. btw, the remaining members DESPISE him now and were very open about it in their blog, at the time i read it. i am told that a singer in one of the bands he produced was even on the verge of beating the crap out of him.

to clarify my definition of musical ineptness, it is the difference between what sounds GLOSSY, and what IS GOOD. the only thing that i think is okay by him was a project that i read he was booted from, and finally involved decent music and players anyway. presumably he now limits himself to production after popular sentiment exposed his weakness as a musician. some things just can't be faked.

it is horrifying to have favorite instruments stolen, but this is a case of adding insult to injury. i've had to hear his crap on the radio all this time. i'll see about getting it re-skinned either here in the states or while i'm in germany this year. i guess i'm not alone, though.

i will say i wouldn't be AS bothered if it WAS 'Joel Hamilton in the Green Room with the Candelabra,' or even 'Joel Patterson with a sky colored Dildo on Jeff Porcaro's Coke Mirror.' THIS GUY'S MOM KICKED ME OUT OF THE BAND! just because i said 'i don't want to be famous.'

i wanted to be good.
is there therapy for this?

Nate Dort
tinnitus

Post by Nate Dort » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:49 pm

Maybe Gregg and I are wrong about who we thought it was then. Backstory doesn't seem to fit what little I know about the guy.