my new site-- how does it look?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

my new site-- how does it look?

Post by ubertar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:41 am

Just put up the new version of my site-- it's mostly the same content, just with a new look and design, thanks to the great work of Jesse Gimbel (jgimbel on TOMB). What do you think? If you find any bugs, please let me know.

http://www.ubertar.com

http://www.ubertar.com/hexaphonic

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm not thrilled with certain aspects of it, but mostly that's a taste thing. Overall I'd say "welcome to the 21st century" in terms of web design. Seriously. Didn't your last site practically use the "blink" tag?
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:36 pm

Heh. No blink tags, but I see what you mean. I did the old site myself on dreamweaver and had absolutely no idea what I was doing. It was past due for a pro upgrade. At least it was functional.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:21 pm

Looks great, though I clicked on an "Instruments" tag somewhere and got taken to the old jello-green page.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:26 pm

Scodiddly wrote:Looks great, though I clicked on an "Instruments" tag somewhere and got taken to the old jello-green page.
The old one must be in your cache. Click refresh and you should get the new one.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:37 pm

ubertar wrote:
Scodiddly wrote:Looks great, though I clicked on an "Instruments" tag somewhere and got taken to the old jello-green page.
The old one must be in your cache. Click refresh and you should get the new one.
Nope. Going from the Bio page - there was one that gave a full path and that got me to the old page, and there was another that tried to go to "instruments2" which gave a web host page.

EDIT: Aha! links that go to just "instruments" get the old page. The ones with "instruments.html" get the new page.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:48 pm

Its simple and straightforward, which in my opinion is preferable in most cases. Following basic design principles...no more than 3 clicks to find what you're looking for, shouldn't have to scroll excessively, and for the love of god, flash is not cool anymore.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:36 pm

Scodiddly wrote:
ubertar wrote:
Nope. Going from the Bio page - there was one that gave a full path and that got me to the old page, and there was another that tried to go to "instruments2" which gave a web host page.

EDIT: Aha! links that go to just "instruments" get the old page. The ones with "instruments.html" get the new page.
You're right. I'll let Jesse know, if he hasn't seen this already. Thanks.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:02 am

Bio is incomplete... wasn't Paul involved with a notorious, underground messageboard?
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:17 pm

It performs its function, but the colour scheme isn't very "musical". Looks a bit like a template.

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Would love to see pictures of the hex pickups on the front page of that section, as well as pictures of the breakout boxes and stuff, too.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:42 pm

The Scum wrote:Would love to see pictures of the hex pickups on the front page of that section, as well as pictures of the breakout boxes and stuff, too.
Working on that. The old site had pics, but some of them are obsolete as the look of the pickups changed, and some of the pics weren't that good or were unnecessary-- pics for custom orders, stuff like that. I uploaded a folder of pics earlier today for Jesse to add, that will open into new windows when you click the name of the product. I suppose they should be directly in the site also, but I think I need better quality pics.

Here are the pics... what do you suggest? (That question is for everyone.)

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:51 pm

You'd be better off with your pictures to have the captions be actual HTML text on the page, rather than as image text in the image. You're losing out on a lot of keyword potential there for google to grab onto.
Carl Keil

The Scum
moves faders with mind

Post by The Scum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:54 pm

what do you suggest?
Reading the first paragraph, my thought is "These could be interesting. Are they really strange looking? Will they even fit in my guitar?"

Having to click to the second page, and then scroll way down to see them means a lot of people will never be curious enough to actually get there.
"What fer?"
"Cat fur, to make kitten britches."

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:19 am

Make your value proposition above the fold, then let them scroll or click to fill in the details.
Carl Keil