Where did everybody go?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:42 pm

Ah, geez, just get the JFET for crying out loud.
lol, I've been busted.
Last edited by mechanicalmastering on Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Brett Siler
moves faders with mind

Post by Brett Siler » Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:13 pm

Yeah this is definitely a site I check everyday and have for almost 10 years now, This place has helped me out immensly with all the knowledge shared here. Hopefully I have been able at times to pay it back a little bit with sharing what I know as well. I think it's a shame if people stopped coming here because of the social networking sites, but oh well. I'm not going anywhere, this place is to awesome.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:03 pm

Brett Siler wrote:... this place is to awesome ...
... as awesome is to this place?

:lol:

I agree. I learn something here at least weekly, sometimes daily, and usually get a laff or two.

The Buy/Sell forum has been very, very good to me :garrett morris accent off:

FWIW, -and mebbe it's because I am - but other forums where I'm a member also seem slow - I think the social-network theory is indeed valid, and that Hula and Pandora and such might also be factors.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joel hamilton
zen recordist

Post by joel hamilton » Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:03 pm

mechanicalmastering wrote:I, for one, am incredibly thankful to have had this "place" in my life. I've learned so much on here over the course of many years and various names, the knowledge I've gained here outshines a degree in engineering anyday and has proven to be invaluable to me. I've laughed, I've cried, I've found a kindred group of colleagues whom share all the same struggles and difficulties, and this space will always reserve a special place in my heart. Chris, Tony, Joel, Prof, etc., you guys are awesome, I hope you are all aware that your decision to share your thoughts and communicate your intelligence has seriously impacted the lives of many in more ways than you may ever know.

;)
Wow. Thats a really nice thing to read on the intertubes.

mechanicalmastering
takin' a dinner break

Post by mechanicalmastering » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:05 pm

Wow. Thats a really nice thing to read on the intertubes.
Shit man, I owe you guy's big time, you personally have helped me out a ton Joel and you don't even know it. I love my 501's, (among many other "JH sleeper suggestions"), also got a squawk box on the way and when it arrives I'll only have you to thank. Ms. Jolie Holland and I were also both singing your praises the last time she was in town. Tony too, thanks for being so damn hospitable man, (remember that pic of the zombie eating you're brains? That was all me). Chris Garges has been my personal savior in the archives, he's the only guy on this board whom has never said something that I didn't totally and completely agree with, (except for maybe liking the sound of stock 3630's :wink: ), and that is a total compliment because I am a pretty critical person, you'd better drop me a line the next time you're in Columbus Ohio bro, I've got a frosty cold one for ya.

trodden
on a wing and a prayer

Post by trodden » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:39 pm

Agreed all around.

I wouldn't be recording or owning a studio if it weren't for this board and the magazine in general. I'd say though, 50 to 60 percent of the knowledge i have about recording is from the amazing people on here. The rest is just from doing it. Either in an intern capacity and the wonderful individuals who took me under their wing, or from just diving in and doing it again and again making mistakes but figuring some things out, to finally I'm working out of my own facility or others in town 3-7 days/nights a week. I still have a lot to learn...

Since i still have an 8-5 job, I'm exhausted...

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:04 am

Look who's here! :lol:

Yes! I've learned a ton about recording tech, met people and went places..

I guess I could come back and make this place not so boring..it'll cost everyone $35 a pop..

p.s.

boobs

I'm Painting Again
zen recordist

Post by I'm Painting Again » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:07 am

also someone should put this thread in off-topic

Brian
resurrected

Post by Brian » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:20 am

I had already been a full time engineer for decades when I found this board, but, I learned a TON about modding gear from Bryan, Eddie, Micheal J. and lots of other folks on here doing projects.
Now I'm in demand as an amp mod guy in Memphis, something I don't even aspire to, but, it really is cool, fun, rewarding, and completely based on the fact that I'm no longer scared to pull out a soldering Iron and solder at the drop of a hat. I fixed a guys Soldano in less than 15 minutes before a recording session it was required for and reflowed all the solder joints too. It works like a charm and now he's doing the ohm mismatch trick that works and is loving it. His amp should last for at least 15 years before the next recap now.
I wouldn't have done anything more than call a tech before this board.
Every piece of gear, every mic, the main console, all of it has been opened up and modified to sound killer and tight. Stuff breaks and I make it better than it was brand new now.
Thanks for that!
Harumph!

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by ubertar » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:19 am

The loss of the off-topic section has resulted in a steady population decline on this board. As Joel H and others have said, there's only so many times you can be interested in a thread about "what's the best X for $Y?". Off-topic keeps people hanging around when there's not much substantial going on, and creates a sense of community. Then when there's something interesting in the recording forums, people are here to see it, and participate. The people who caused a ruckus in off-topic (including myself) have all gotten old and boring. It's safe to bring it back. Bring it back, and the board will be revived.

;ivlunsdystf
ghost haunting audio students
Location: The Great Frontier of the Southern Anoka Sand Plain

Post by ;ivlunsdystf » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:04 am

ubertar wrote:The loss of the off-topic section has resulted in a steady population decline on this board. As Joel H and others have said, there's only so many times you can be interested in a thread about "what's the best X for $Y?". Off-topic keeps people hanging around when there's not much substantial going on, and creates a sense of community. Then when there's something interesting in the recording forums, people are here to see it, and participate. The people who caused a ruckus in off-topic (including myself) have all gotten old and boring. It's safe to bring it back. Bring it back, and the board will be revived.
agreed

Electro-Voice 664
re-cappin' neve

Post by Electro-Voice 664 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:56 am

ubertar wrote:The people who caused a ruckus in off-topic (including myself) have all gotten old and boring.
Yep, I tuned out when y'all got old.. Me, I'm getting younger~ and exciting!
"Play ethnicky jazz to parade your snazz. On your five grand stereo."

frans_13
takin' a dinner break

Post by frans_13 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 12:03 pm

I'm either working a lot .. or even more hours. There's really only so many things you can say on a given topic and when most of it has been said, the lurkers lurk.

dubold
steve albini likes it

Post by dubold » Fri Mar 23, 2012 5:36 pm

what paul said.

norsehorse
gettin' sounds

Post by norsehorse » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:58 am

I would love to post here more often. But the practical concerns of not being able to attach audio (e.g. mp3s) or pictures (e.g. jpgs) directly to posts really puts a damper on how easy it is to share, which also limits the quality of each post and conversation.

We are in the media business, after all...