Reputable Philly/NYC gear repair???

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Reputable Philly/NYC gear repair???

Post by HeavyHand » Mon May 14, 2012 10:30 pm

so i've been trying to rack up some RCA BA-72's for about 2 or 3 years now and I give up! they are noisy and way beyond the scope of my abilities.

I'm hoping to find someone who can work on these that i can drive to (shipping seems expensive but I'll do that if i have to).

hopefully you guys can recommend someone you trust that does good work cause im dying over here!
Ok, who brought the dog? - Louis Tully
www.facebook.com/BigTerribleMusic

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Wed May 16, 2012 8:14 am

no one??? bummer.

Jeff White
ghost haunting audio students

Post by Jeff White » Wed May 16, 2012 1:24 pm

Hey man, I'm in Philly as well. I use Matthew Manhire over at Rootbeer Audio. He is a really nice guy and an expert with electronics. He has his own business and also teaches at U-Arts. He just repaired my 1977 Fender Super Reverb, and after his move to Fishtown is complete in the next few weeks, he's fixing a few other pieces of kit for me.

http://www.rootbeeraudio.com/

I was referred to him by my buddy Jeff Zeigler over at Uniform Recording (Kurt Vile, The War on Drugs, Purling Hiss, Arc In Round, etc) after I had a disaster of a modding experience over at The Amp Shop (long story but basically charged way too much money for shoddy work to several pieces of gear and dealt with someone who can't deal with being told they are doing anything wrong). Matthew has been working on Zeigler's gear for a while now and zero complaints. He can be a little slow if he gets a lot of work in, but after he's done moving he's going to have a larger shop up and running. I'm actually hoping to maybe work for him part time. I love this stuff.

PM me with any questions. And tell him that Jeff White sent you!

Jeff
I record, mix, and master in my Philly-based home studio, the Spacement. https://linktr.ee/ipressrecord

brew
pushin' record

Post by brew » Wed May 16, 2012 5:07 pm

HeavyHand
takin' a dinner break

Post by HeavyHand » Wed May 16, 2012 7:21 pm

awesome! thank you Jeff and thank you Brew. you guys are gentlemen of the highest regard. this is most helpful.

i'll stay away from the amp shop... thanks for the heads up.