crown ph-4 phantom power supply

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Klamnops
audio school graduate

crown ph-4 phantom power supply

Post by Klamnops » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:23 pm

Just got a Crown ph-4 phantom power supply for my condenser mics and on the back of the unit it has +48 VDC connectors to slave. What is this used for. I cant find anything for this unit on the web so far. Anyone ever use this unit for there mics.

Thanks.... :D
Tascam 388, sterling audio st77, shure sm57, belari m105...

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:09 pm

Hey, I'm in the same boat.
Consider this a bump.
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

iC
pushin' record

Post by iC » Mon Jan 14, 2013 4:37 pm

Mine is actually a PH-4SA, with the Slave In posts on the back. I am thinking this is actually a slave unit that gets fed from the PH-4. Guess I am hosed til I find one of those.
"There is nothing in a caterpillar that tells you it's going to be a butterfly."
R. Buckminster Fuller

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:51 pm

Yes there are master and slave units, so you could expand the basic 4 channel to be more. Crown has a pdf online for one of the models.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73

emrr
buyin' a studio

Post by emrr » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:08 am

These are a good donor piece to convert if you need a T-power supply for any older condenser mics. The power transformer has dual center tapped secondaries that can have half of each secondary paralleled to get voltage down to 1/4, and one resistor change around the regulator sets up 12VDC output easily. The XLR's are the Neutrik PCB mount type that can be removed from the shells with the release of a screwdriver catch in each one, so the XLR PCB can be pulled out of the XLR shells in one piece for rebuilding to T-power spec. Don't let the rivets holding the XLR shells to the case fool you. FWIW.
Doug Williams
ElectroMagnetic Radiation Recorders
Tape Op issue 73