Super-basic questions about getting back into analog...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Super-basic questions about getting back into analog...

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Apr 06, 2012 12:36 am

I've been craving analog recording for a while now and just tonight I remembered that I have a Fostex 80 sitting in an ATA case. It's been sitting there for probably a decade or more. I stopped using it because shortly after an a-hole sent water cascading through it when he was pressure washing my house it developed a problem where it would sortof grind to a halt while playing tapes. I never troubleshooted the grind to a halt business because the heads were basically shot from the previous decade of misuse of the thing.

My questions:

1) Is the grind to a halt thing probably be due to "sticky shed?" My tape of choice back in the day was Ampex 456, which is, I believe, a leading culprit in the sticky shed business. The thing actually looked fine on the inside after the water incident. I was shocked (not electrically) considering that water was flowing into the top vents and out the bottom vents when I happened upon it during the pressure washing. How would I test this? Would a still shrink-wrapped Ampex 456 from 20 years ago be a good tape to try? Or do I need to get something new?

2) Where do people get good tape and a decent price for 1/4" 8-tracks these days?

3) How/where do I get new heads for the Fostex or get them relapped for not hundreds (plural) of dollars?

Thanks,
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:03 am

1. the transport problem could be sticky shed. it's easy to tell - fast forward/rewind through a tape until you notice the problem, then lift the tape away and look at the guides. there will be sticky goo on the tape guides. 456 that has never been used may be more likely to still be usable, but even then it's not a sure thing.

2. I'd recommend getting a new reel from either RMGI (i think it's their 911 tape that is very similar to 456) or ATR Magnetics. Some people have had bad luck with RMGI, but it's always worked and sounded great for me. People seem to love ATR tape, but I get the feeling it might not be the best fit for pro-sumer type machines that weren't designed for super high output tape. It's pretty easy to find online sources for either one. I believe Full Compass carries RMGI tape. you might be able to order ATR tape directly from them. If not I think I got it from Vintage King once.

3. JRF magnetics is the only place I know of to get heads relapped. it's not cheap, but for a 1/4" headstack I don't think it's too bad. you can call them and they'll give you a quick quote.

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:15 am

Shot heads... can easily be most of the value of a RtR in that category, sadly. So you might want to limit how much effort goes into reviving this one. (I got a fully gone-through and refurbed fostex R8 direct from a RtR tech for $350, to recover old tapes without fuss). That being said, those prosumer decks were generally made with maxell XLI or UD in mind, and maxell doesn't sticky shed, so on the cheap, get a NOS or gently used reel of that if you want to test.

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:10 pm

So, JRF Magnetics says they'll relap my heads for $210, which sounds great to me. If only I can determine that my deck doesn't have other issues.

2 more questions about a Fostex 80:

1) Where's a source for non-sticky-sheddy 1/4" tape?
2) Would you spring for the "optical alignment" for $75, or is that not really worth anything after they ship them back and I have to install it in the real world anyway?

Thanks,
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

Matt C.
suffering 'studio suck'

Post by Matt C. » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:33 pm

I've ordered tape from here before: http://www.prodataplus.com/Analog-Recor ... pe-s/2.htm

they have both RMGI and ATR tape.

regarding JRF, I always thought the optical alignment was included in the whole process, so I had them do it on my headstack. but even if you don't have them do it, I doubt they'd leave the heads in some jacked up, unusable position.