Dr. John--Locked Down...

Discussion on new albums, developing listening skills, critical listening to others' work, as well as TOMB members' MP3 links, online recording critiques

Moderator: cgarges

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Dr. John--Locked Down...

Post by tonewoods » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:44 pm

Heard a snipit of Dr. John's new recording--"Locked Down"--on Sound Opinions last night, and was blown away by the sonics....

He's gone back to his Night Tripper persona, and the recording sounds nice and spooky...

Produced with the Black Keys...

Gonna order it up right now....

Teaser here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxAmqxTyxe4&ob=av2e

Anyone heard the whole thing....?
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

accordion squeezist
pushin' record

Post by accordion squeezist » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:10 pm

going to Amazon right now.
Thanks!

edotd
audio school

Post by edotd » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:16 am

great album! time to find my copy of gris-gris again :)

Beat Poet
alignin' 24-trk

Post by Beat Poet » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:07 pm

Is this off the new album? There's a guy on Gearslutz absolutely slamming it.

xpulsar
pushin' record

Dr. John

Post by xpulsar » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:08 pm

I was fortunate enough to be involved in this recent album by Mac. He is a really great person who is full of life and musical experience. It is a pleasure to be able to say I had the opportunity to work with such a talented artist and musician as Mac Rebbenack. Those guys on gearlutz are so silly! They are so opinionated and love to ramble on , I would say to take what they ,and really what anyone on a forum has to say, with a grain of salt.

-collin

Dr Rubberfunk
pushin' record

Re: Dr. John

Post by Dr Rubberfunk » Tue May 01, 2012 6:52 am

xpulsar wrote:I was fortunate enough to be involved in this recent album by Mac. He is a really great person who is full of life and musical experience. It is a pleasure to be able to say I had the opportunity to work with such a talented artist and musician as Mac Rebbenack. Those guys on gearlutz are so silly! They are so opinionated and love to ramble on , I would say to take what they ,and really what anyone on a forum has to say, with a grain of salt.

-collin
Looked like good chemistry in the studio too, loving what I've heard, got my vinyl copy coming to me in the post! :)

goose42
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by goose42 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 8:31 pm

I really, really dig this record. One thing that stands out to me is the upright bass sound. So meaty! It's so good that it really gets a lot of space in the mix when it happens, and it's consistent with the sound on the Jessica Lea Mayfield record Tell Me that was also done at Easy Eye.

I live so close! Got to find a way in. I know Richie, guitar slinger from the JLM band. Maybe I can go for a hang some time.
Cheers,
Stephen "Goose" Trageser
bucketcitymobilesound.squarespace.com

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:23 pm

The Jessica Lee Mayfield record was recorded at Dan Auerbachs old studio in Akron.

I engineered the Dr. john record at Easy Eye Sound in Nashville, Dan Auerbachs new studio. I helped a little on the Jessica Lee Mayfield record, bust most of that record was recorded by Dan.
The Dr. John record was real blast to make and I feel completely honored to have been able to work on such a cool album with super talented people. The whole team was great!

-collin

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:49 am

Collin-- That is some credit, and you are obviously a humble guy; congratulations on your success, that is _very_ cool...

Re: Dr. John, I'm looking for a copy (vinyl preferably, if it's available and not priced out of the stratosphere) of a long out-of-print thing that he did with David "Fathead" Newman (!) and Art Blakely (!!!!) called "Bluesiana Triangle," if anybody has a lead...

GJ

RoyMatthews
re-cappin' neve

Post by RoyMatthews » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:14 am

Gregg Juke wrote:Collin-- That is some credit, and you are obviously a humble guy; congratulations on your success, that is _very_ cool...

Re: Dr. John, I'm looking for a copy (vinyl preferably, if it's available and not priced out of the stratosphere) of a long out-of-print thing that he did with David "Fathead" Newman (!) and Art Blakely (!!!!) called "Bluesiana Triangle," if anybody has a lead...

GJ
I kinda know that record. I assisted on a later "Bluesiana" record. Cool stuff. It looks like you can still get in on Amazon. I kinda doubt it came out on vinyl but I could easily be wrong.
"If there's one ironclad rule of pop history, it's this: The monkey types Hamlet only once."

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Fri Jul 13, 2012 7:46 am

Cool, thanks Roy.

I thought that I remembered seeing some copies on vinyl-- but then again, I thought that I was still doing radio in the 80's when it first came out; now I see that it wasn't released until 1990, so my chrono-meter must be off... That whole time is all a blur, anyway. I just remember digging the music, and any record that gets Dr. John together with Art Blakey has to be awesome.

GJ

goose42
gimme a little kick & snare

Post by goose42 » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:28 pm

Collin - awesome, awesome work! Posted without reading the rest of the thread, bad idea. Not knowing who recorded Tell Me or where is what I get for buying it on iTunes. I use both of those records to check out unfamiliar monitors. And now I need Gris Gris and Bluesiana Triangle.
Cheers,
Stephen "Goose" Trageser
bucketcitymobilesound.squarespace.com

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Re: Dr. John--Locked Down...

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jul 13, 2012 8:04 pm

tonewoods wrote:Heard a snipit of Dr. John's new recording--"Locked Down"--on Sound Opinions last night, and was blown away by the sonics....

He's gone back to his Night Tripper persona, and the recording sounds nice and spooky...

Produced with the Black Keys...

Gonna order it up right now....

Teaser here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxAmqxTyxe4&ob=av2e

Anyone heard the whole thing....?
Thanks for this. I'm buying it now from Amazon.com...
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

tonewoods
buyin' a studio

Post by tonewoods » Sat Jul 14, 2012 7:56 pm

goose42 wrote:Collin - awesome, awesome work!
+1!....
goose42 wrote:And now I need Gris Gris...
Everyone everywhere needs Gris Gris... :wink:

Collin, I'm really curious as to how much this recording was referenced during the recording of "Locked Down"?
Thanks!
"You see, the whole thing about recording is the attempt at verisimilitude--not truth, but the appearance of truth."
Jerry Wexler

xpulsar
pushin' record

Post by xpulsar » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:43 pm

Everyone involved in the record is a big fan of Gris Gris...
I would say that we just wanted to make sure the record could be held to the same standard. We did not want to make typical record.
Like I said , It was a hell of an experience ! Great times!
I am also super lucky that I got to do F.O.H. for the album release at B.A.M. in Brooklyn .

-collin