From a musician's perspective...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

From a musician's perspective...

Post by mhuxtable » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:24 pm

Hey everyone....this is my first post in a long while...

So I'm a musician with a band, playing together for over 2 years...I'm also a recording hobbyist/nerd. We know our sound, we know our style.

Recently, we recorded an EP with a local well known studio run by one guy....he did acts like Hootie and the Blowfish, Craven Melon....lots others. He lives in "slick production" land. Our EP sounds great, but it's too slick. We're a bit more experimental, psychadelic, while still maintaining a "pop" sound...mainly 4 part vocal harmonies.

We are doing a "live" in the studio song/video. Getting to the mixing stage....how should I go about standing my ground in how I want the mix to sound? My idea of "wet" and washed out are WAY different than his. He doesn't seem to get that I don't give a shit about the vocal sitting way out front, or what the "mainstream" listening audience wants to hear....this is my love and my passion and I want it to sound the way I want it to sound....which EVERYONE else who hears us likes.

It's funny because I've read both of the "Behind the Glass" books extensively....so many producers/engineers focus on the song, the feel, the artist, the mood. This guy likes to throw out remarks about his "$5000 microphone" :roll: And whatnot. He definitely has a bit of an ego. Not to mention he sometimes insults us (mainly me)....in a "joking" way but it's really belittling. Then when a session is over, he and his assistant go on and on about how well rehearsed and well prepared we are...

I even want to go back and remix our EP at a different studio just to make things sit more like I want.....then repressing it.

How do you handle an egotistical producer? He's a big fish in a small pond....this will definitely be our last time working with him, but I want this to sound like I want....I am paying after all...

A.David.MacKinnon
ears didn't survive the freeze

Post by A.David.MacKinnon » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:38 pm

The easiest solution is to take your business somewhere else. If you don't like the guy and don't like the sound why are you there?

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mhuxtable » Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:44 pm

Like I said....we are done after this one song recording. We are here for the "live" track because his room is the only room I know of that's close and affordable that has the means to record all of us simultaneously. It's 24 tracks going at one time, 6 people. And the room has enough room for a videographer to get around and film. That left our options fairly limited for this project.

digitaldrummer
ghost haunting audio students

Post by digitaldrummer » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:53 pm

can you just get the tracks recorded, then take them somewhere else for the mixing and video production?
Mike
www.studiodrumtracks.com -- Drum tracks starting at $50!
www.doubledogrecording.com

JGriffin
zen recordist

Post by JGriffin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:37 pm

digitaldrummer wrote:can you just get the tracks recorded, then take them somewhere else for the mixing and video production?
That's what I'd suggest.

Also: you said "egotistical producer." Is he the producer on the project, or is he simply the engineer? Because (and I know some won't like to hear this) there is a difference. It sounds from the rest of your post that he's just engineering the tracks, so you've got no reason (beyond the dearth of local studios) to keep your project in his place. If he's not attached in a producer-y fashion, you're not beholden to him in any way--pay the bill, take the tapes and mix elsewhere.
"Jeweller, you've failed. Jeweller."

"Lots of people are nostalgic for analog. I suspect they're people who never had to work with it." ? Brian Eno

All the DWLB music is at http://dwlb.bandcamp.com/

MoreSpaceEcho
zen recordist

Post by MoreSpaceEcho » Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:43 am

dwlb wrote:pay the bill, take the tapes and mix elsewhere.
+1. don't pay this dude to mix if you're just going to have to argue with him the whole time. do it yourself or pay someone else who'll be happy to make it sound how you want.

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mhuxtable » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:11 am

i guess the rub is, i paid him up front (i know i'll actually get the finished product, that's no worries), because if you pay for a day in full in advance, the rate is cheaper.

he's legit & been in business for 30 years, so there's no doubt i'll GET the finished product, or that he'll run off with the money......but i've paid for the time, so i need to use it.

hindsight is 20/20 right?

i guess i'm gonna have to suck it up. future records would sound great tracked there, but obviously mixed elsewhere.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:52 pm

Doya have enuff paid time to just record another song?
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

mhuxtable
alignin' 24-trk

Post by mhuxtable » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:24 pm

Not really....none we would want to record "live" anyway that we'd be happy with...and that's all we'd have time for.

Oh well..... :cry:

Dakota
re-cappin' neve

Post by Dakota » Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:06 am

MoreSpaceEcho wrote:
dwlb wrote:pay the bill, take the tapes and mix elsewhere.
+1. don't pay this dude to mix if you're just going to have to argue with him the whole time. do it yourself or pay someone else who'll be happy to make it sound how you want.
+2 yes indeed!

Track it there, then find a good mixer who's aesthetically right, gets the Art thing, not stuck in an imaginary Mainstream Product thing. I mix a lot of underground art-centric stuff if you are shopping, and there are lots of very fine mixers who frequent this board. Find a good fit. :)

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:30 am

mhuxtable wrote:Not really....none we would want to record "live" anyway that we'd be happy with...and that's all we'd have time for.

Oh well..... :cry:
Well, I suggest ya set up quick, rip thru yer set, demo-like.

I mean, what alternative ya got?

Seemingly none ... :twisted:
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Sat Apr 07, 2012 3:47 am

Pull a gun on him. I've found this is an excellent way to repair a wayward attitude. :wink:
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Sat Apr 07, 2012 6:47 am

Can you give him an example of what you want? I find sometimes the best route of clear communication of goals between artist and engineer is through sound... Just tell him you want to know if he can/will do x, and if he won't, take it to someone that will.

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:00 pm

This clearly the wrong guy for what you want.

I'm happy to recommend several people in your area who are REALLY easy to deal with and will do a great job giving you something with which you'll likely be happy.

How far out did you pay for the mix days an dhow many days did you pay for? I mean, there's got to be some way out of this deal, even if it means you lose a little bit of money over it, right?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:46 pm

Hate to flog a dead horse every couple of months, but............
Pre-Production.

GJ