From a musician's perspective...

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

timcoalman
gettin' sounds

Post by timcoalman » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:55 pm

mhuxtable - you came to this message board for advice and support. you received that from the very same people who can solve the problem as well.
This clearly the wrong guy for what you want.

I'm happy to recommend several people in your area who are REALLY easy to deal with and will do a great job giving you something with which you'll likely be happy.

How far out did you pay for the mix days an dhow many days did you pay for? I mean, there's got to be some way out of this deal, even if it means you lose a little bit of money over it, right?

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:35 pm

I hear you mhuxtable. Fit is crucial -- Probably the most crucial thing when it comes to picking a producer or engineer.

I think there was a prevalence of engineers who didn't really "get" music years ago, and who would rather impress other engineers than make bands happy. (This is probably one of the many things that helped lead to the home recording revolution.) But today, you have choices, and everyone producer has a demo reel. Use them!

Maybe you can work out some kind of deal, whether it's spending more time tracking, or getting a partial refund for days you won't end up using to mix. (Just ask about his cancellation policy. Every honest business person has one.)

Don't burn any bridges, keep it cordial, and better luck on the next hunt! If you exhaust all your options and somehow find yourself stuck with him for the mix, just make it clear that you guys are producing, and that although you respect what he normally does, you're going to push him to make some choices that are outside of his comfort zone.

If you make it clear to him that you understand how great and radio-friendly he's capable of making this, and that you're intentionally going for something a little different, and that you're firm about it, he may lighten up a little bit.

Best wishes and good luck,