Flashing the Bat-Signal / Posting a lost artist online?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

alexdingley
buyin' a studio

Flashing the Bat-Signal / Posting a lost artist online?

Post by alexdingley » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:47 am

Hey all,

So... this might be a grey area these days, but I thought I'd put this out there. About 10 years ago, I was a staff engineer at a studio in Philadelphia where we recorded small & medium size projects. Bands, choirs, etc... That studio is effectively out of business, and didn't have great record keeping.

I recorded a few bands / projects that I'm proud of... one group, in particular, was just wonderful. I listen to their project all the time. They come up in my iTunes at random and it always makes me happy. The trouble is, they clearly disbanded almost immediately after the recording project. Not only do I wish that they'd stayed together and continued to make music.... but I want people to hear their music, and also my recording. Ten years ago, they okay'd me to put clips of their recording in my demo reel... but I have no way of reaching them now. Can't remember last names, no contact info. And there's no myspace music page, just a partially archived geocities page with lyrics and no contact info.

I'm thinking about putting one track of theirs up on my soundcloud page with detailed info expressing that this IS NOT my original work, but a recording I engineered. But there's a part of me that is hesitant to do that because I don't have a copyright.

It actually makes me think that a very interesting thread would be "What's your favorite broken-up artist that you've worked with?... post a clip"

So, what do you guys think? Am I risking any credibility before I even build it?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:43 pm

I'll probably get slammed *hard* for this, but my opinion is that you should go for it. Also include a very clear way for them to contact you in the credits where you say it's not your work and respond quickly to any cease and desist notice you get. Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness after than permission before. A lawyer actually told me that, albeit not in the case of possible copyright infringement.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Sun Apr 15, 2012 1:57 pm

I agree.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:31 pm

+2

GJ

TapeOpLarry
TapeOp Admin
TapeOp Admin

Post by TapeOpLarry » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:57 am

In an age where people post obviously copyrighted works on YouTube daily and the dmca protects this BS, I can't imagine you'll get in trouble.
Larry Crane, Editor/Founder Tape Op Magazine
please visit www.tapeop.com for contact information
(do not send private messages via this board!)
www.larry-crane.com

cgarges
zen recordist

Post by cgarges » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:30 am

I would guess that if you're not selling it, the worst that could happen is that someone could ask you to take it down. I could be wrong about that, though.

Chris Garges
Charlotte, NC

top_ape
alignin' 24-trk

Post by top_ape » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:44 am

Yeah realistically all they can do is ask you to cease and decist (take it down). It would be near impossible to prove any damages (and likely cost more than they'd even hope to recover anyway); moreover, you've made a reasonable effort to get in touch AND you've already been granted permission to use the recordings to self promote.

I wouldn't worry too much.

top_ape
alignin' 24-trk

Post by top_ape » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:47 am

Just to be clear I'm not a lawyer. Though I've had some dealings in the area...