new business logo-- what do you think?

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

ubertar
ears didn't survive the freeze

new business logo-- what do you think?

Post by ubertar » Wed May 02, 2012 8:51 pm

Just got an endorsement from Ben Butler (Spiderman, Paula Cole, George Michael) and needed a logo to put on his endorsements page.
http://www.benbutlermusic.com
He uses one of my pickups on his acoustic, and sends the low E and A strings to an octave pedal.

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Wed May 02, 2012 8:57 pm

I like it, and how it illustrates yer product. 8)
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Wed May 02, 2012 9:17 pm

Simple, direct, elegant. Very nice indeed!

GJ

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Thu May 03, 2012 12:54 am

That's not bad. Those in the know will get it. Those that don't get it wouldn't know what the fuck to do with those pickups anyway.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

vxboogie
pushin' record

Post by vxboogie » Thu May 03, 2012 6:13 am

+1 I like it!
Mark - Listen, turn knob, repeat as necessary...

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri May 04, 2012 8:32 am

Thanks for the feedback!
My wife designed the logo (with input from me).
She's more of a fine artist than a graphic designer, but I think she did a great job. Here's a link to some of her artwork:
http://www.rebeccaprojects.com

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri May 04, 2012 8:50 am

The concept interests me but Ben Butler's website is probably one of the worst websites I have come across in the last ten years...its only a couple animated gifs away from Geocities...

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri May 04, 2012 9:19 am

kslight wrote:The concept interests me but Ben Butler's website is probably one of the worst websites I have come across in the last ten years...its only a couple animated gifs away from Geocities...
Really? It looks fine to me. Anyway, the guy is super-accomplished and I'm very happy to get his endorsement.

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri May 04, 2012 10:18 am

ubertar wrote:
kslight wrote:The concept interests me but Ben Butler's website is probably one of the worst websites I have come across in the last ten years...its only a couple animated gifs away from Geocities...
Really? It looks fine to me. Anyway, the guy is super-accomplished and I'm very happy to get his endorsement.
No doubt the website has nothing to do with his accomplishments...but this thing fails on several points for me:

1. Auto-playing music (I don't care if you integrate a music player but it SHOULD NEVER automatically play).

2. Kooky interface (splash screen links different from main site interface).

3. Super low-res photos everywhere...I am a supporter of using thumbnails and such to keep the site loading efficiently for people still on AOL...but this doesn't use thumbnails to high-res photos and the photos used are very nastily compressed by today's standards.

4. The site wastes a lot of space, appears to have been designed for the lowest common denominator screen resolution circa 1995...I am hoping that nobody (especially his prospective clients) are still running at 640x480...

I think its about time for a reboot... It just boggles my mind when successful professionals don't keep their website up with the times. I am glad it is not all Flash-y, etc...but I think it would benefit from updating..

vvv
zen recordist

Post by vvv » Fri May 04, 2012 3:28 pm

ubertar wrote:Thanks for the feedback!
My wife designed the logo (with input from me).
She's more of a fine artist than a graphic designer, but I think she did a great job. Here's a link to some of her artwork:
http://www.rebeccaprojects.com
I like it! The stuffed animals are cool, and my daughter's fave.
bandcamp;
blog.
I mix with olive juice.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Fri May 04, 2012 4:15 pm

I'm no graphics expert either, but I've done at least a couple logos for myself and even (back in the day!) software icons.

What I'd do is squeeze the "Ubertar" and the polepiece icons tighter together, the name seems spaced out a bit too far. Let the "Polyphonic pickups" start under the big U, and you'll have a nice tight block of everything.

Maybe put a thin line frame around the polepiece icons if it seems like they're getting lost in the middle, or a dark background so that you have the rough shape of a pickup in the middle.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Fri May 04, 2012 4:40 pm

The pole pieces (circles) are spaced the same as on a real pickup, proportionate to the size of the poles. The spacing is part of what makes them recognizable as pole pieces and not just circles (or pan pots-- the second meaning, given by the line in each circle). I'm not sure it can be messed with much without obscuring or entirely losing the meaning. Thanks for the suggestion though.

chris harris
speech impediment

Post by chris harris » Fri May 04, 2012 7:20 pm

If that can't be done, then I'd recommend moving the "U" slightly left, to create a similar gap as that between the other letters, and the move the "U" up slightly so that the top of the "U" lines up with the top of the other letters.

Scodiddly
genitals didn't survive the freeze

Post by Scodiddly » Sat May 05, 2012 5:55 am

Is this logo just for the web, or are you expecting to print it on letterheads and such?

EDIT: I have to spend some coffee shop time today working on a flyer anyway (anybody in the northern Chicago 'burbs looking for a gig as a church pianist?), maybe I'll take a crack at it. Got some interesting ideas for making the "pickup" even more recognizable.

ubertar

Post by ubertar » Sat May 05, 2012 7:32 am

Scodiddly wrote:Is this logo just for the web, or are you expecting to print it on letterheads and such?

EDIT: I have to spend some coffee shop time today working on a flyer anyway (anybody in the northern Chicago 'burbs looking for a gig as a church pianist?), maybe I'll take a crack at it. Got some interesting ideas for making the "pickup" even more recognizable.
Hey, that'd be awesome. My wife doesn't really want to work on it any more. Chris' idea of moving the U seems like it might work too. I'll definitely consider using anything you come up with if you have time to mess around with it. Thanks!