CD Duplication Artwork errors

Recording Techniques, People Skills, Gear, Recording Spaces, Computers, and DIY

Moderators: drumsound, tomb

Kroy
pluggin' in mics

CD Duplication Artwork errors

Post by Kroy » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:39 am

I recently had 200 CDs of my new album duplicated with a UK company and the majority of these have the album title and artist name (along the spine) mis-aligned, off-centre. The company have already confirmed that this is a calibration error at their end and that my artwork is properly positioned.

I'm looking at asking for replacement CDs or a refund. Has anyone had a similar experience and do I have a fair case to ask for this?

Snarl 12/8
cryogenically thawing

Post by Snarl 12/8 » Fri Jul 06, 2012 1:59 am

I'd ask the company that. And/or check their web site for whatever their contract is when you hire them. Do they have a "satisfaction guaranteed" type approach or a "best effort." I bet it's spelled out somewhere.
Carl Keil

Almost forgot: Please steal my drum tracks. and more.

joelpatterson
carpal tunnel

Post by joelpatterson » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:13 am

The way I work things is to send a single "production sample" for approval-- and then once it's approved, I crank out all the copies exactly the same.

There's just too much mystery 'twixt the cup and the lip to say "yeah, the look that we talked about, that'll be fine."

If indeed the final product doesn't match what you agreed to, then yeah, they need to keep on cranking them out until they get it right.
Mountaintop Studios
~The Peak of Perfection~
Petersburgh NY 12138

mountaintop@taconic.net

kslight
mixes from purgatory

Post by kslight » Fri Jul 06, 2012 4:56 am

I work in the printing industry (not CD printing...but) and the general practice would be to fix it (at their expense( if the product produced did not closely resemble the customer's artwork (with some variation tolerable). If they want the product that you've already received back they should pay for return shipping as well. A hard copy proof is also something you usually want if for no other reason than the differences in technology for color reproduction between your monitor and their printer, but also so you two both are on the same page as to what is acceptable. But I'm guessing they did not provide you with a proof based on what you said.

fossiltooth
carpal tunnel

Post by fossiltooth » Fri Jul 06, 2012 7:17 am

In my experience, the standard procedure would be to fix it at their expense -- assuming this is outside of their stated tolerances for error (sounds like it is). A discount might be offered as a more cost-effective alternative for both parties. If that discount isn't agreeable to you, then ask for the replacement instead. Be nice, and stand your ground if this is was an error on their part and a problem for you. I think it'll turn out fine in the end.

Nick Sevilla
on a wing and a prayer

Post by Nick Sevilla » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:20 am

Their error, their fix, at their cost.

Why is this even a question?
Howling at the neighbors. Hoping they have more mic cables.

flapmaggot
takin' a dinner break

Post by flapmaggot » Fri Jul 06, 2012 12:26 pm

I feel your pain - I recieved my official one off reference CD from Kunaki. Perfect. Ordered and recieved the shipment of 50 - the light blue green cover turned dark blue. There is no customer service with Kunaki, just robots. No returned e-mails. I'm simply fucked. At least you can deal with humans!

Good Luck!

C

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:47 am

When we had our label, the CDs of one of our first "major" releases arrived in the mail the morning of the release date/release party show.... with some other bands' disc artwork screen printed on every disc. Fortunately it was just an image, and didn't have the band's name on it or anything.

Called the company and they admitted the error, and offered to replace the discs, but they wouldn't start the new run until they received the old run back in the mail, and we were way out of time.

So, it could be worse?
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks

Marc Alan Goodman
george martin

Post by Marc Alan Goodman » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:40 pm

Every time I've ever tried to press CDs I've had similar issues. Some companies are happy to fix it, some a giant pains in the ass, but if it's definitely their fault than it's worth letting them know they owe you. And if they try to blow you off, yell. A lot. Prematurely the yell is just a shitty move, but properly timed there's nothing quite like it.

jgimbel
carpal tunnel

Post by jgimbel » Sun Jul 08, 2012 11:34 pm

A good bit of the graphic design work I do is album artwork. If the company's design specs were followed (important pieces are properly within the safety margin, things bleed how the company wants them) but things are still really off then it's on the company. I've worked with a lot of companies, and I've never worked with a company who hasn't offered to fix it at their cost when the issue is brought to their attention, which is needed because a lot of places print and ship without inspecting well, sometimes necessary in order for them to be able to get their projects done on time but sometimes unfortunate. There is always going to be variation because of calibration, it's normal for things to be SLIGHTLY off and this is just the nature of this kind of thing, but if you put text within a safety line and it's still cut off, which happened on a business card design once, then it's on them.
My first new personal album in four years - pay what you want - http://jessegimbel.bandcamp.com

Gregg Juke
cryogenically thawing

Post by Gregg Juke » Mon Jul 09, 2012 4:29 am

An aquaintance of mine often points to the importance of using local (to you) duplicators and graphic designers, noting that "keeping them within strangling distance" is a positive feature set.

I don't know how that's going to work when we get our first vinyl pressed, but on the CD end, it is a maxim that has proven true...

GJ

Smitty
tinnitus

Post by Smitty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:14 am

Gregg Juke wrote:...graphic designers, noting that "keeping them within strangling distance" is a positive feature set.
As a graphic designer myself, I can say I usually do my best work under threat of bodily harm. :D
"I try to hate all my gear equally at all times to keep the balance of power in my favor." - Brad Sucks