RegisterRegister
FAQ  -  SEARCH  -  MEMBERS  -  FAVORITES  -  PROFILE
Pragma - Chicago's free studio
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Studio Listings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anewman
gimme a little kick & snare

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 3:50 am    Post subject: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

Pragma is a free studio that I'm running in Chicago. Small, but growing - check it.
We have coffee and gear; bring your indie rock.
http://www.pragmastudios.com
312-493-2455
assfortress
steve albini likes it

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

You should totally charge for that. With the amount invested in your studio and the knowledge youve got/will gain from this board you've got a better set up then most of the basement/practice space studios (around here at least). Pretty cool though, im sure you can get some awsome sounds.

Matt.
anewman

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

Sure, i could charge for it, but then i'd be like every other studio. =)

-Adam
nick_a
buyin' gear

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2004 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

i think it's awesome that you don't charge. i don't know what else to say. i wish there were more dudes like you out there.
Seej
takin' a dinner break

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

Cool, now I know where to send my friend's band.
No Wave Casio Kitsch
re-cappin' neve
http://30.media.tumblr.com/avatar_f039e5a468d3_128.png

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

Very cool! I liked the web design too. Very clean and easy to navigate.

Good luck with everything!

-Giahni

Freelance Recording/Production
Assistant Studio Manager - ShangriLA Studios
Electricide
dead but not forgotten

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2004 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

[quote=pragma studios website]I'm sorry, but I don't do hip-hop[/quote]

hahahahaha. Maybe a good move? In my experience they invite like 12 people along and half smoke up and watch the adult satellite stations; the rest of them fight over how much time the other is wasting. And that's at $100 and hour!

Maybe I'll come track some drums, once I get my songs all straightened out. I'd be happy to donate something. Like mic cable or something.
anewman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

Still rocking, still free.
mjau
genitals didn't survive the freeze

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

You, my friend, should be exhalted by all.
anewman

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

that's what I keep saying. ;)
hiwatt33
gettin' sounds

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

anewman wrote:
that's what I keep saying. Wink

Tell us about the Neotek Series I man. I picked one up recently myself.

Nice!

John
www.flamethrowerstudios.com
comfortstarr
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

I don't want to stir anything up, honestly, (I may send in a song to get mixed) but I have two questions:

1) How do you eat? Aside from using your mouth, utensils, and hands? I mean, this looks like a full time gig, how's it work if it's for free? It doesn't seem like a replicatable model. Do you operate as a non-profit?

2) To studio owners/engineers for hire: what do you'all think of this? Personally, I think it's cool, even if you were peddling meth to 10 year-olds to finance it. But... I'm curious what people who are scraping by in this racket think of you and your... your... free-ness.
brado32
studio intern

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

How does the saying go,

You get what you pay for .. So in this case ....

Thankfully you are not in the DC area .. my kids gotta eat!!

later and good luck

-Brad
magnetictape
audio school graduate

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

i think it's an awesome endeavor. an inspiring step in a direction away from everyone struggling to establish own little ideal private setup, everyone spending all their loot on the same expensive gear. plus it gets people to think outside the everything-must-generate-capital-or-it-won't-work paradigm - we can just help each other out because it's fun and that's ok. keep up the great work.
Russian Recording
re-cappin' neve

PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Pragma - Chicago's free studio Reply with quote

Well, I dont want to be the sourpuss here, but there are people that are trying to make a living in the studio business. By giving away free studio time (let alone being free at all times, period) you are cheapening the value of recording in a time when studios and engineers are hurting the most.

This is really unfair to those of us that have to charge money simply so we can pay our rent and feed our faces while doing what we love to do. I'd be pretty pissed if you were in my town giving away free professional studio time to would-be paying clients. I understand maybe you don't realize this, but it's something you should really consider.

mike
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    Tape Op Message Board Forum Index -> 5/03-2/05: Studio Listings All times are GMT - 4 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: